Day 27 and feeling rubbish again

HollyB

Hi,

I'm a new member and have been following The Whole 30 for 27 days now. Before starting I was a total chocaholic and a very unhealthy eater. I have an underactive thyroid and regularly suffered from bouts of low blood sugar where i felt faint, dizzy and shakey. Since being on the Whole 30 plan I've felt a million times better, it was hard going at first but I stuck it out and up until yesterday I was feeling great. I had no symptoms of low blood sugar at all and lots more energy, but today I've had an onset of the shakes and I've had an upset tummy for the last two days... I feel like I'm going backwards.

What I suppose I'm asking is if this is normal? I thought after I'd beaten off the 'carb flu' things would be looking up from there. I've not strayed from the plan at all so cant figure out where this is coming from.

Thanks

Holly

Holly -

If you're taking any medication for your thyroid condition, it may be worth checking with your doctor to make sure your dosing is still appropriate. If your food intake is consistent with where it has been the last 27 days, there's a significant chance that it's an external (rather than food related) issue. Could you be coming down with something?

I'm hypothyroid as well and have found that on W30, I have needed to maintain a moderately high intake of starchy vegs and fruit to keep off that "low blood sugar" feeling you are describing. Nowadays I usually have a banana and/or the equivalent of a half a sweet potato at some point during the day, and usually more than that (and definitely more if I do any strenuous exercise). I'm not sure the mechanism behind why this makes such a big difference for me, but it does.

Thanks for the responses.

Robin, strangly enough it had never occured to me that it might be my thyroid. I'm so used to looking out for symptoms of my medication being too low, but I've just had a look online for symptoms of overmedication and it turns out I have quite a few that I had thought were unrelated. I've made an appt with my docs to get it checked. Thank you!

TrayS I'll certainly up my intake of starchy veg too, see if that helps.

Thanks for your help.

I needed to reduce my thyroid meds after beginning to eat this way - I went from one doctor's appt before the whole30 with her saying we'd probably increase the dose at the next appointment, to actually needing to cut the dose in half at the next appointment. Wooo! So your feeling rubbish might be a good sign :)

Archived