Reintroduction Acne Eruption

Rho

SOS! SOS!

After a Whole40, I reintroduced raw organic honey back into my diet 2 weekends ago with no problems.

This past weekend, I ate some raw organic honey made from (or with) hops & reintroduced red wine and tequila. I also had a chicken skewer that had some traces of peanut sauce on it. On Monday, I ended up with 1 large, painful acne cyst by my mouth and another smaller bump on my lower jaw. I haven't had an acne cyst in over a year (I had great success with Accutane)!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: I'm also not at the point in my monthly cycle where I'd be having a hormonal-related breakout.

Any ideas what the culprit could be or what I should do now? :( :( :( HELP! I feel like I need to look like this just to go out in public: :ph34r:

My guess is the alcohol :( but that is from my own experience...

Beer makes my eyelids swell and eventually I get styes, whereas alcohol in general makes my rosacea flair and my skin breaks out in all sorts of fun pustules and things. I would jump back on the wagon until it clears up, then intro the above items one at a time over the course of a few days for each item. For me, it took a few days to a week to really see the affects of alcohol manifest into skin/rosacea/stye issues. Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

Anna, I'm on Day 90 of a Whole100. My rosacea has been almost non-existent since the first few weeks. Last week, I tried kombucha for the first time. I didn't really like it, and it took me three days to finish the bottle, but by the third day my rosacea had come roaring back. I had painful red bumps under the skin on both cheeks in addition to the generalized redness.

I know the foods that normally trigger it for me--alcohol, red wine, sharp cheese, chocolate--so I did a little more research and found out there is a link between rosacea and an imbalance of gut bacteria. Around here people drink kombucha for the digestive and probiotic value, but for me, I think over 80 days my gut was doing fine and the additional probiotics sent it out of whack instead.

I will say I live at the southern end of FL, so I don't worry about the effects of winter weather.

Sugar and dairy (except butter) make me break out. It's one of those things that I know going into a less-than-optimal food choice and the week I'll spend trying to get my skin back on track usually helps me decide whether what I want to nom on isactually that delicious.

Sugar and dairy (except butter) make me break out. It's one of those things that I know going into a less-than-optimal food choice and the week I'll spend trying to get my skin back on track usually helps me decide whether what I want to nom on isactually that delicious.

Ditto!

Archived