Now Fish Oil Capsules

Jessica Reagan

Even though I'm coming to the end of my Whole 30, I just started thinking about supplements.

I didn't really realize that I needed to label read them! Sounds stupid I know. I just bought It Starts With Food last night. I've been taking a generic prenatal (Spring Valley) left over from my nursing days(stopped a few months ago). The allergy label says no gluten, wheat, yeast, soy, sugars, milk, lactose, preservatives, artificial flavor, or sodium. One glaring ingredient I do see is maltodextrin. Also has some random dyes.

Ingredients:

Cellulose (plant derived), Croscarmellos, Cellulose coating, Vegetable Stearic Acid, Calcium Silicate, Maltodextrin, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate, Titanium Dioxide Color, Gelatin, Mannitol, FD&C Yellow No. 6 Lake, FD&C Red no. 40, FD&C Blue no.1 Lake.

Yikes! Terrible right?

I've also been taking Now Super Omega EPA which says Vitamin E (as natural d-alpha tocopherol) but in the allergy warning says Vitamin E from soy.

So these are both out right and where do I go from here? Obviously even with these "dirty" supplements I feel miles better. I am still tweaking things like eating 3 meals, eating enough, sleeping more, etc and was planning to continue with the whole "30" until I get everything in balance.

Should I finish these supplements and then buy cleaner, or just ditch them and start new? I still have almost a months worth of the prenatals and 2 months worth of fish oil. I am not flush with cash so obviously I'd rather not throw them out but if it's for the best obviously I'll suck it up.

Archived