Eggs

Beatrice

Hi! I'm starting my first whole30 tomorrow (yay!) and was am trying to plan some go-to meals. I love eggs and always have them around so they would work best for my go-to meals. My question is whether i would be over doing it on eggs if I have them as my source of protein for two meals a day? Is 6-7 eggs on some days too much?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Eggs are great food, but if eggs are your protein source at two-thirds of your meals, you are not getting enough variety and you need to rethink your plan. What you eat is too important to pass on the hundreds of options available to you. Eating the same thing every once in a while is okay, but not as a regular thing. Eggs are not just protein. Food is more complex than that. Our bodies thrive on a variety of things in our food and you need to feed yourself lots of different things to make sure you get all you need.

Hi Beatrice,

I'm just north of you near Fort Collins. I admire you for planning ahead! I started a little ahead of myself and had trouble keeping up. I love eggs and they seem like an easy breakfast option. I have been adding a protein source from dinner or from my freezer to some eggs for breakfast. Sometimes I have them mixed and sometimes separate and always mixed. Veggies that seem nie at breakfast have been spinach, asparagus, and mushrooms. These days I'd eat almost anything in the morning and that is awesome! The frittatta option in ISWF is also great. I have used leftover steak, leftover pork, canned salmon (watch the labels), and shrimp from my freezer. I have found these all to be nice for breakfast and the eggs are helping my mental transitions.

If tomorrow is your first day, and you have time today, you might do well to prepare a meal of protein, veggie, and fat that you can have for lunch and maybe freeze one or two servings. I found I was under-prepared with portion sizes and never had enough food left to help me get ahead.

Congratulations on starting!

Nico

Eggs are great food, but if eggs are your protein source at two-thirds of your meals, you are not getting enough variety and you need to rethink your plan. What you eat is too important to pass on the hundreds of options available to you. Eating the same thing every once in a while is okay, but not as a regular thing. Eggs are not just protein. Food is more complex than that. Our bodies thrive on a variety of things in our food and you need to feed yourself lots of different things to make sure you get all you need.

What are other easy cheap sources of protein besides eggs and chicken. As a college student, those are an easy option. Usually 2-3 chicken breast a day and 3-4 eggs. Along with tons of frozen organiz broccoli

• Moderators

Ground beef is a great choice at often modest cost. You can cook it with many different spices to create different tastes and pair it with most vegetables. I eat a lot of canned salmon, tuna, and sardines. I started buying the cheap stuff and have gradually shifted to more expensive red salmon, but it is all good.

Archived