My my my how easy it is to slide back into old habits. The past few weeks I've gone through my reintroductions and tried to "ride my bike". Well, my bike got a flat tire. My undoing? Alcohol. My brain does not compute moderation with regards to drinking, add to that a husband who really enjoys a couple nightly drinks-and annoyingly seems to suffer no ill effects-and you have a sad and frustrated Krista. And a foolish one too! I drank a beer Sunday night, I knew I shouldn't but darn it, it looked good! So I drank it, I even told my husband I would pay for it and oooooh nelly did I pay!?! Monday I felt like I had a load of rocks in my gut, I was so bloated and uncomfortable! Beyond my physical pain my depression has started flaring back up. I told myself, no more! Then Tuesday night rolls around and hubby suggests cracking a bottle of red wine....did I say no? No. I agreed. :unsure: The wheels on my bike just fall right off in the face of alcohol. When I finished my W30 I vowed NOT to return to the multi times a week drinking, I know it impacts my depression. I know it makes my anxiety worse. I know it makes my temper worse. I know it sends me face first into a bar of dark chocolate. I know all those things and more yet I still struggle with saying no.

so, today marks Day 0...again. I have an event coming up in a little over two weeks, so I'm calling this a W15. I don't know for sure if the food at the auction will be compliant, I know there will be a gluten free options, that's the benefit of being the head of the PTO, I get veto power on the menu! ;) Knowing that the food might not be 100% compliant I will give myself permission not to stress about it that day. After that I plan to continue....until I can get a handle on the booze demon. The simple answer would be to eliminate it from my house, but we are a house divided, my husband-while enjoying my paleo cooking immensely-is not interested in adopting a W-anything-lifestyle. I cannot change him, but I also cannot continue to use him as an excuse for my drinking. I will say though, it makes it much harder to stay on track. But I'm the one who suffers most when I go off track.

Sounds like you've got yourself a good plan there. It's amazing how when we know something is going to make us feel yeuch, we still have that little voice inside us that says 'Go on, just one, you know you want to, What harm will it do?' Well for me, that voice is going to have to be told to put a sock in it because, it's taken me a long time, but I have finally realised that some things a r e j u s t n o t w o r t h i t.

i like your idea of continuing with a W15 and not stressing about your function and then continuing until you subdue your dragons. good luck.

Does your husband understand how badly alcohol affects you? If so, it's really unfortunate that he encourages you to drink. I have struggled with my weight ever since my current boyfriend came into the picture (almost 4 years ago) because he had a terrible diet. He was used to pizza/beer/ice cream one night a week, fast food a few times a week, and having chocolate/candy in the house constantly. At first I went a little crazy joining in, and gained about 12 pounds. Ever since, my weight's been up and down and it was a constant fight to keep junk food out of the house. He was always offering me stuff, buying me candy at the store, saying "oh just have a little" etc... I am SO GRATEFUL he tried a W30 with me, and as he reintroduces various items he keeps saying "Wah, it doesn't even taste good anymore!" Any chance you can get your hubs on board in the future?

The new normal for you has to be the habit that your husband drinks alcohol while you do not. So think of a treat that you can have when he pulls out a bottle of something at the usual time. Black cherry kombucha? Vanilla rooibus tea? Or just sparkling water in a wine glass. Maybe save the glass of wine for when you go out of the house, but you just decide for yourself that you will not drink at home, whether alone or with him. Whatever it is, define your new normal routine and make that into a rule that is easy to follow. Good luck!

But I'm the one who suffers most when I go off track.

Your family suffers too! Do it for yourself and them. They want a happy and healthy momma around.

Sometimes we need to feel not so good to be able to make a change. You will do great, I have no doubts :wub:

Does your husband understand how badly alcohol affects you? Any chance you can get your hubs on board in the future?

Had a little chitty chat with him again last night, told him I was once again abstaining from alcohol because of how it makes me feel. It is a definate depression trigger and honestly triggers such anger in me, it's just not worth it. He gets it...but he doesn't. During my W30 there were only a couple of times it was hard not to drink when he was having a drink, I do much better with abstinance than I do with moderation!

The new normal for you has to be the habit that your husband drinks alcohol while you do not. So think of a treat that you can have when he pulls out a bottle of something at the usual time. Black cherry kombucha? Vanilla rooibus tea? Or just sparkling water in a wine glass. Maybe save the glass of wine for when you go out of the house, but you just decide for yourself that you will not drink at home, whether alone or with him. Whatever it is, define your new normal routine and make that into a rule that is easy to follow. Good luck!

We invested in a soda stream in January, I got a lot of use out of it, I make virgin Nor-Cal Margaritas and drink those in fancy glasses. I really want to learn how to make my own kombucha, that stuff is spendy but man I love it!

Your family suffers too! Do it for yourself and them. They want a happy and healthy momma around.

Sometimes we need to feel not so good to be able to make a change. You will do great, I have no doubts :wub:

So true...so true...that's been part of our conversation, I told him a while ago I know I'm not a nice person when I drink! Why the heck would you want to encourage that?!

He's a true creature of habit and very reluctant to change so to answer JJB's question, no I do not think he'll ever get on the W30 train. He's perfectly happy eating my W30 cooking though. He really has an aversion to change, the older he gets the worse it is.

Xandra nailed it! I keep a sixer of little San Pelegrino sparkling water in the fridge AT ALL TIMES and when friends come over it hasn't even phased me to mix a cocktail (I make a killer from scratch whiskey sour) for them and then clink glasses and cheers with my fuzzy water.

Day 0 is so exciting!

Archived