I'm HUNGRY! What are Whole30 non-perishable snacks?

LindaLee

This afternoon, after I had my lunch (chicken salad from the Success Guide) and a salad made with spinach and carrots - I was hungry almost immediately, and light-headed. Since I was light headed, I think I was truly hungry and not just bored or having a craving.

I didn't have any food with me (well, I had some in my desk drawer but it's all MediFast stuff that I haven't tossed yet so I didn't want to touch it) so I just drank water and bit the bullet.

On the way home I had to stop at the grocery store to get some paper towels and decided I would buy some nuts to have on hand in case this happened again. Of course I overindulged on the drive home.

My question is this...I know that if I am hungry after a meal that the next time I eat that meal I should eat more. But what do you do on the same day to eat more, and what would you suggest bringing in to work or having on hand so if you miscalculate you can tide yourself over until "next time"?

I guess what I'm really asking is...what are Whole30 approved snacks that I can keep on hand when I can't boil an egg or grill a piece of chicken.

Thank you!!!

Did you eat enough protein in that meal? Protein is the substance that takes the longest to digest and therefore 'sticks' with you longest. Did you include some healthy fat in the salad? Fat also takes a while to break down. If the answers were 'yes', then you're right, you just didn't bring enough food. I keep carrots, jicama, cucumbers, broccoli, etc. on hand, as well as some nuts, but you have to portion them, and you have to eat them before you get to the "I'm so ravenous I can't control myself" point. I also like to snack on leftover cooked green beans or asparagus.

Fat and plenty of it is definitely the solution to add to your main meals (and it tastes great!). Coconut oil, avocado, even a bit of nut butter (but go easy on that one). If you're eating grass fed meat, a nice fatty piece of that also does the trick. In terms of snacks, I'm a little bit obsessed with seaweed sheets (the type you buy to make sushi rolls). Break them up, even sprinkle some salt on them, and it's just like eating potato chips.

i dehydrate my own kale chips, sweet potato chips and zucchini chips. i also have 2oz packages of raw cashew butter in my purse. some larabars seem ok (someone tell me if i am wrong). and a sliced jicama with lemon juice is to die for (but needs refrigeration). coconut- the whole thing in sections.... wait i see two more replies have been added since i logged in...

i dehydrate my own kale chips, sweet potato chips and zucchini chips. i also have 2oz packages of raw cashew butter in my purse. some larabars seem ok (someone tell me if i am wrong). and a sliced jicama with lemon juice is to die for (but needs refrigeration). coconut- the whole thing in sections.... wait i see two more replies have been added since i logged in...

How do you dehydrate them? Those sound yummy!

an excaliber (4 drawer- the smallest) dehydrator. i got mine from wheatgrasskits online for like $100. i had to get some silicone sheets too for another $35. i use it almost every day to be sure to have decent snacks on hand. i've found some good kale chip recipes, onion bread recipes, etc. so i can have my crunchy salty snacks for cheaper than buying something like Brad's Raw Kale chips all the time. i use the zucchini chips to eat guacamole with.

i also tried those Seasnax thingies. they are similar to eating Nori sushi wraps. they are pretty good- but expensive. wow i sound like such a cheapskate mentioning expense!!!!

Linda

gottafly - that sounds great! I know what you mean about the expense - I have spent sooo much money getting things set up, between a trip to the Whole Food store for the essential basics, books, consultations, and a food processor. I am dreading my next Discover bill! And I'm seriously considering either an Artisan Mixer or a meat grinder so we can grind our own venison and pork and make our own sausage/brats.

I console myself (and hopefully my extremely frugal - thank God - husband) by saying in the long run, this has got to be cheaper than buying all that junk food we used to eat. Sure, a can of organic olives is $4 - but so is a half gallon of ice cream, and the olives lasts me a lot longer!

I'll have to check into that dehydrator - the idea of being able to have "chips" is too good to pass up. Thanks!

i haven't dried tomatoes but i can try and let you know what the results were. i really don't see why not. there is a lot that i could do with this machine- i just haven't gotten to the jerky or yogurt or fruit drying yet. when i finish my whole30 i can experiment a bit more. i know that i would eat 14 servings of dried strawberries so i will have to wait!

Archived