substitute for milk in coffee?

Alexa Champion Marks

I use whole coconut milk-just be sure to use the canned stuff. All the stuff in cartons that I've found has all kinds of bad stuff. It took me a few days to get used to it, especially since I'm not a huge coconut fan, but now I can't drink my coffee any other way. It's sweet and creamy, plus, I swear the extra fat in it helps keep me satisfied a bit longer. I have to be careful and make sure I eat within a half an hour of getting up, or I'm likely to have 2 cups of coffee with coconut milk and call that breakfast!

I know some people have said they changed how they made their coffee, to make it smoother, but I still like cream of some sort in my coffee. I use Native Forest organic coconut milk (canned) , I blend it and put it in the fridge, it thickens up nicely and goes well in coffee with a little cinnamon. Amazon carries it if you don't have a Whole Foods nearby. Colleen is right- if I drink two cups then I don't want breakfast.

hope this helps! good luck!

Alexa, have you heard about "bulletproof" coffee? Take that freshly brewed hot coffee, put it in the blender with a teaspoon or two of ghee or coconut oil, or some of each, and whip it for 15-20 seconds until it's homogenized. I think it might do the trick for you. Though I confess I do still miss a little sweetener in it.

Good luck with the program! I'm on Day 24.

I make my own hazelnut milk with some dates and vanilla bean (I have also added cardamom and cinnamon for more of a chai taste) and often add that plus some ghee and coconut oil and blend it. I rarely drink coffee because that's a lot of work for coffee for me, but when I do want a cup of joe or when I am needing a cup before work that is what I do. you don't need to add the ghee or coconut oil, you could just add the hazelnut milk (or any other nut milk you make yourself). but I am liking black more and more

When I am NOT on w30, I make my own creamer with full-fat coconut milk, dates, vanilla, and cinnamon....very thick in the fridge. This is NOT allowed on w30 (no dates) but it is fine in moderation afterwards. I have found that if I drink a lighter brewed coffee and add a touch of cinnamon, it works for me. Try and try as I might, I cannot drink straight canned coconut milk in my coffee...it does something to the flavor and composition of the coffee.

Have you considered switching over to tea for your w30? This time around I am trying to stick with decaf tea and it REALLY has been helping me. Loving Republic of Tea Ginger Peach Decaf and vanilla decaf black tea. I am currently Day 19...this is saying A LOT as I am/was a "Starbucks Venti Bold 2-3x/day" person!!

Good luck!!!

ETA: I just tried Bulletproof Coffee...YUM!! My amounts were a little different from above but turned out very yummy...2c decaf coffee, ~1T ghee, and ~1T coconut oil. Okay...now back to my decaf tea. :)

Sorry...I guess I have mentally checked off dates as a "no-no". It really brings out the Sugar Demon in me...I avoid them, even in moderation, while on w30.

dates are allowed during a whole30 - I use them in my hazelnut milk. I wouldn't use much, but dates are ok (people eat Lara bars - again, not recommended to use but can be helpful in a serious pinch)

Archived