Delphine

Hi Everyone,

I finished my first Whole 30 on February 26th and I saw a lot of improvements in my health and well-being. So much so that I want to keep going and work out the rest of my health issues. I'm borrowing Nadia's format for this because I thought she did a great job :)

A few things about me:

I'm 5'10 and about 140 pounds

I live in NYC

I work full time in an office and paint at night

I am pretty sure I have adrenal fatigue

I love food sooooo much

Achievements on the Whole30

I learned what the bulk of my diet should be, and which foods should be reserved for special occasions

My sleep improved a ton

I have more energy

Circles under my eyes less often

A few TMI gastro issues improved

Much less bloating

Less gurgling in my gut

Less cravings for sugar and cheese

Huge improvement in PMS cramps

Stabilized mood

Major Goals Post-30

Still feel like my body is tired & dragging - want to improve this

To wake up feeling refreshed and energized

To clear up my keratosis pilaris

To feel energized enough to do some light yoga for 30 min a day

Lessen my PMS-related fatigue and mood swings

Break my reliance on sunbutter (sometimes right out of the jar :P )

Oof! It feels really good to write this all out!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 31 2/27/13

*Because I have adrenal fatigue I never got used to not having snacks. Every time I tried, no matter how much I ate at my previous meal, I would get spacey and dizzy and cold if I didn't eat. So you will see that I almost always snack.

Sleep: 7.5 hours, slept the whole night :)

7:00 two eggs fried in coco oil with parsley sauce, a chunk of sweet potato, one small piece of sausage.

8:30 two cups of decaf coffee with coco milk

10:30 a few grapes - should have had protein and fat with this but I'm unprepared at work.

12 some braised beef and 1 greek meatball with red pepper sauce. A big kale salad with cherry tomatoes, cucumber and OO & balsamic, Vata tea

4 1 pear with sunbutter, 1 fried egg

8 Paleo Pad Thai (yummers!), 1 prune with a dab of sunbutter

Supplements

Morning - 3 Fermented Cod Liver Oil capsules, 1 probiotic, 1 B-vitamin cap

Night - Unsweetened Natural Calm

Thoughts:

1) I didn't go to bed early enough the night before. Need to be in bed by 10!

2) I should've eaten more at the beginning of the day

3) Mood is slightly down but ok, still feeling tired.

4) Got to do some light yoga today which I am SO psyched about.

Day 32 2/28/13

Sleep: 8.5 hours, slept really well but had some very strange dreams. Felt groggy when I woke up.

7:00 two eggs fried in coco oil with parsley sauce, a chunk of sweet potato, one small piece of sausage.

8:30 regular coffee with coco milk

11:15 a few grapes with coco milk

12 3 greek meatballs with red pepper sauce, a big kale salad with cherry tomatoes and cucumber in OO & Balsamic, sweet potatoes, sip of coco milk

1:20 feeling sleepy -_-

3:30 Larabar with sunbutter

6 Paleo Pad Thai , 1 pear

10 small chunk of sweet potato with a little sunbutter (sweetened)

Supplements

Thoughts:

1) Got to do more yoga :D It felt AWESOME

2) Maybe a little heavy on the sunbutter but I need something...

Day 33 3/1/13 - Hooray, it's March! One month closer to Spring :)

Sleep: 7 hours - not enough.

7:00 one egg fried in coco oil with parsley sauce, a chunk of sweet potato.

8:30 decaf coffee with coco milk

9:30 Larabar with sunbutter - this is the 2nd day in a row Larabars taste disgustingly sweet to me.

10 Feeling sick and a little depressed after

10:50 Foot hurts (hurt it last week), head hurts - took 2 ibuprofen

12 Moroccan beef stew, kale salad with cherry tomatos, cucumbers OO&Balsamic. Vata tea.

1:00 feeling sleepy -_-

3:30 Sweet potatoes with red pepper sauce. Tired, so so tired...

6 Paleo Pad Thai , 1 apple

10 apple with a little sunbutter (sweetened)

Supplements

Thoughts:

1) I had a downward sprial today and got freaked out hidden food allergies, why I'm so tired and what the cause of my keratosis pilaris is. <_<

2) When I got home from work I took a 15 minute power nap which made me feel much better. Was worried that this would keep me from falling asleep later but no...although I did go to bed later than usual.

3) Did light yoga AND a yoga dance video and felt great.

4) Mental state while I was painting was great. :)

Doing great, you! I wish I could do power naps, but I feel way worse after them. Keratosis is a nasty thing, I have it. Bad news - its forever. Good news - it's almost gone since I changed my diet. I love that you paint, I think it's so important to have something to do that makes you truly happy. Double bonus when it's art related. Food cures body, art cures sould. Win-win.

P.S - what's in Moroccan stew?

Thank you thank you!! How awesome that your KP is almost gone!

LOVE this: "Food cures body, art cures soul." Yes, getting to the studio is the most important part of my day. It's hard after a day of work but that's why I fuel myself with good food to keep my energy up! By the way, you've been piquing my interest in ballet...

Moroccan stew

I have not been good about tracking my food. However, I think I may be on the heels of a food sensitivity. On Saturday I woke up feeling good. I had my usual breakfast of eggs, sweet potato, etc and suddenly my body felt heavy and weak, and all I wanted to do was go back to sleep. So I resolved to remove eggs from my diet for a while and see how I feel.

Here is Sunday's log:

Day 35 3/3/13

Sleep: 8 hours

11 2 leek& apple sausage patties (soooo good) with marjoram sauce (highly recommend), a chunk of sweet potato, spaghetti squash. Decaf coffee with coco milk.

2 broccoli soup with marjoram sauce, pumpkin chili on cauli mash, banana with sunbutter

3:30 banana with sunbutter

8 broccoli soup with marjoram sauce, pumpkin chili on cauli mash, avocado

10:30 spoonful of sunbutter

Supplements

Morning - Forgot

Night - Raspberry Lemon Natural Calm - this tastes so gross to me now!

Thoughts:

1) I don't know about this egg thing. I hope it's not all in my head. On the other hand, I want to eat eggs :-/

2) I felt somewhat better than yesterday.

I can't remember the source, but instead of eliminating eggs try not to eat heavy carb/starches at breakfast for a while.

Are you sure that Raspberry Lemon flavor is allowed? I have a suspicious feeling about it.

Maroccan stew looks good, saved to the recupes folder. Thanks.

And yes, ballet is my non food crack ^_^

Hmmm....the starches make you tired? I'll definitely look into that, thanks! I just want to give the eggs a few more days because I always have this paranoid fear that I'm allergic or sensitive to them and I want to put my mind at rest either way.

You're right, Raspberry Lemon isn't allowed but I have a nearly full container from before the Whole30 and I don't want to throw it out. It's going to be my one cheat for a while. I don't think this has too much of an effect...

Day 36 3/4/13

Sleep: 7.5 hours, slept a little light, but well. Woke up before alarm.

7:00 2 sausage patties, spaghetti squash, sweet potato, marjoram sauce.

11 2 teaspoons sunbutter *reaallly hungry

12 moroccan beef stew, cauli mash, grapes & sunbutter

Feeling bloated which is weird because I haven't at all since I began the whole30

3:30 Tablespoon sunbutter

5 15 minute nap

6 beef and veg soup, kale salad with apples and avocado

10 small chunk of sweet potato with a little sunbutter

Supplements

Night - Raspberry Lemon Natural Calm

Thoughts:

1) Did a more intense yoga video for 30 min. I am happy about this improvement. :D

2) It could be psychological or it could be because it's Monday but I don't feel as tired. My face looks glowy, too. No dark circles under my eyes. So we'll see if it's this egg thing.

3) I still got tired after work. Kept dozing off on the train <_< The 15 minute naps I just started taking seem to help a lot and so far haven't impacted my sleep too much.

Day 37 3/5/13

Sleep: 7.5 hours, woke up early and feeling pretty good.

7:00 3 sausage patties, spaghetti squash, sweet potato, marjoram sauce.

8:30 + 10 decaf coffee with coco milk

11 2 tbsp sunbutter

12 moroccan beef stew, vata tea

1:30 feeling grumpy :angry:

3:30 apple pie larabar with sunbutter

6 beef liver pate on cucumber, beef soup with marjoram sauce, kale salad with apple, avocado and OO&balsamic

10 sweet potato sunbutter

Supplements

Thoughts:

1) Dozed off in the train on the way home. Decided to take a 15 minute power nap when I got in.

Vata tea is based on Ayurveda, which is basically yogic medicine. It's an herb tea designed to calm you down. I think there's some licorice in there.... i have it leftover from when I was really into Ayurveda. I don't subscribe to it much anymore (their suggested diet is verrrry grain-heavy) but it has some good ideas.

Day 38 3/6/13

Sleep: 8 hours, still tired when I woke up.

11 1 apple pie larabar with sunbutter

12 moroccan beef stew, cashews, vata tea

3:30 1/2 apple pie larabar with sunbutter

6 beef liver pate on cucumber, beef fried with spaghetti squash and veggies with marjoram sauce, kale salad with pear, avocado and OO&balsamic

9 a little hearburn and bloating

Supplements

Thoughts:

1) Did 1 hour of normal intensity yoga :D

2) Not sure where these GI issues are coming from all of a sudden. They're not too bad though.

Day 39 3/7/13

Sleep: 8.5 hours, hard to wake up but felt pretty good after.

heartburn on the way to work - what is going on?

10:30 1/2 apple pie larabar with cashews

12 moroccan beef stew, veggies with pepper sauce, 1 pear and cashews, vata tea

3:00 pepperoni slices, a few black olives, cherry tomatoes

bloated - why??

6 beef liver pate on cucumber, beef/veg mix with marjoram sauce, kale salad with pear, avocado, cherry tomatos and UME PLUM VINAIGRETTE, 1 spoonful of sunbutter

10 1/4 apple with sunbutter

Supplements

Thoughts:

1) Did a short, and not-so-high intensity work out. Happy about this. Let's hope my body doesn't crash in the next few days. I probably won't be able to work out Friday or Saturday so hopefully that's enough rest.

2) Still having some GI issues.

3) Thinking of testing eggs out on Sunday. It will be one week since I've had them. Is this enough time?

4) Ume Plum Vinaigrette is delicious and I learned that ume plums have a ton of health benefits.

Yikes, I didn't record anything I ate this weekend! It was all compliant though. Decided not to add eggs back in because I think I am starting to feel better and I don't want to jinx it. Forgot to take my supplements except for Natural Calm. That's it! I'll post tomorrow.

Ugh, I need to vent. My coworkers are teasing me because I have kick-ass will power and are prodding me into eating a cupcake. Annoying!

I'm not doing this to lose weight. I'm doing this because I want to be healthy and energetic. I'm doing this to be able to go to my studio and paint after working a job that already takes too many hours of my day. I'm doing this because I want to be strong. I want to do a week-long hike on the West Highland Way in Scotland and take a few months off to walk St. James' Way through Europe. I want to run a marathon (this makes people I know in real life laugh). I want to be able to defend myself if need be. I don't want to get a terminal illness - I want the years I deserve to make my life great.

You need to be healthy and strong do all that - and that's what this diet is doing for me. So get of my effing back about the cupcake!

Anyone with me??

Day 43 3/11/13

Sleep: 7 hours, hard to wake up because of daylight savings

7:00 2 plantain tostadas, chorizo

8:30 decaf coffee with coco milk x 2

11:30 mini cherry pie larabar

12 pizza chili, salad with ume plum dressing, mini cashew cookie larabar, vata tea

3:30 1 mandarin, handful of cashews

5 no appetite so I started with 1 banana and sunbutter, then later had big kale salad with 1/2 avocado, cherry tomatoes, 1 can tuna and OO&balsamic, 1 spoonful of sunbutter

10 spoonful of sunbutter

Supplements

Thoughts:

1) Feeling some IBS bloating - is it the nuts?

2) Got lots of work done at the studio - came home zonked and ready for bed.

3) Feeling stronger. So happy with the amount I've gotten done lately. :)

It is totally the nuts and seeds. Larabars have them too, this adds up to a daily intake. By now we all know - suspecting something - remove and observe :) How did tostadas turn out? Heaven right? I still can't find ume paste argh.

Boooo...although who are we kidding? I'm used to taking things out of my diet by now. I'm going to have to wait to remove them since I'm still testing out eggs and on Thursday I have a forced butter-testing day. I'm going to a conference lunch at which I will be the lowest on the ladder. I can't refuse what is being served. There is going to be a goat cheese salad (I'll just pick around the cheese on this), then a steak with herbed butter and dessert which I am going to skip. So hopefully my only off-road food will be butter. I'll probably add some butter at dinner, too, to make it a proper test.

Tostadas are soooo delicious. I'm going to make this one of my staples. Not too hard to make, either.

Forgot to mention I've been having headaches too, and I think they may correspond with my nut eating. Nuts give my Mom migraines, so, yeah, i'm probably sensitive to them.

Yep, sometimes I imagine us as mad scientists carrying all kinds of experiences here. It makes me laugh. Good luck at the conference but don't stress too much. It's a mindful and weigted choice of food regardless what you end up eating.

I love nuts but it's not mutual. Positive side - ruling them out means spending less on nuts and larabars (which are so easy to make yourself).

Archived