Delphine

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recipe? Yes! Here you go. I just added more thyme and salt. If I could eat eggs I'd totally do the carrot souffle too.

Yeah, I'm gonna listen to that podcast this afternoon, thanks!

I'm so impressed with your planking - I find it...errrmm...unpleasant. Maybe I'll get into it though. Thanks for the links!

Oh nice! Thanks. No souffle for me too :(

Planks are boring unless you change them up all the time! 12 minute body WO on that site is fun to do. There are only three intervals with straight up boring planks as a recovery.

Day 58 3/26/13

Sleep: 5 hours, woke up at 4am and didn't go back to sleep

7:30 evergreen juice (kale, cuc, little bit of pineapple) and a wheatgrass juice

8:30 2 blueberry sausage patties, roasted eggplant and red pepper, decaf coffee with coco milk x 2, mini larabar * bloating

10 banana

12 aidell's chicken and apple sausage, kale with bacon and coconut

3:30 banana with coco milk

6 1/2 larabar

8 turkey larb on romaine hearts with cucumber and avocado

9:30 2 tbsp sunbutter

Supplements

Morning - 3 Fermented Cod Liver Oil capsules, 1 B-vitamin cap

Night - Raspberry Lemon Natural Calm, Nyquil

Thoughts:

1) I cried first thing in the morning about my insomnia. It's not good. I looked at the calendar and realized I've been having it for the last 2 weeks. And I had been doing so well! I definitely think it's linked to my hormones since it cropped up around the time I started getting more bloating and moodswings. Made an appointment to get my cortisol and and thyroid tested. Let's hope that my doc actually agrees to do the test. I can't believe that I even have that concern - it's my body dammit! Anyway, fingers crossed that now that I'm done with my period I get back to sleeping.

2) I've started thinking about my morning sugar cravings. I've been giving into them thinking that it's just normal in the morning but maybe it isn't. Maybe it's linked to my insomnia. I know that when I eat a snack before bed I sleep better.

3) Had a fun day otherwise. Did yoga at around 6 - a more intense class :) Snuck out of work for a bit to see a Nick Cave performance at Grand Central Station with my boyfriend (love seeing him in the middle of the day) and after work we went to the ASPCA to adopt a new kitty (didn't fine one though). Just had a relaxing evening in after that. Watched the documentary Happy - have you seen it?

Crying and feeling helpless sucks, been there :( I am struggling with sleep for almost a year now. Checking hormones might be a good idea. Meanwhile meditation and keeping your blood sugar low and consistent during the day might be very very helpful. I hate to say that, but since I dropped fruits and dried fruits as a snack, I sleep much better. Dried fruits (read larabars) can be a cause of bloating too, it has to do with sugar malabsorption. Btw - are you buying them? That must have been pricey...

Anyways, what really matters is that you are on the right track and doing you best to treat your body right.

Concert date is so so cool. Hope you'll find a lovely kitty soon (and show it to us ;) ).

Feel better soon!

Thanks for the post, Nadia. It really helps. I think you might be right about fruit. I haven't had any today other than the blueberries in my sausage so maybe I'll try to take them out for a while. I actually got the Larabars relatively inexpensively at Target on sale, so I've been eating them (probably too often). I'm almost out now anyway...

Leave the berries, they are low in sugar and packed with antioxidants! Try dropping sugar bombs instead. You can totally make your own btw, but that is not too helpful after advising to leave them out I guess.

This "great" instinct of our body - desire food based on availability. I am like that too, I have it I eat it. Urgh.

Ok, just berries is something I can get used to. Thanks for the advice! Plantains are probably a bad idea too, right? I guess maybe they'd be ok if they're not too ripe. I've been eating a lot of them lately...

I recently started rereading It Starts With Food and reminding myself how food influences hormones and mood! Honestly I rarely eat fruit and I avoid dried since it's a food with no brakes for me. My sugar dragon still slumbers just below the surface ;)

I've been under the care of a naturapath and acupuncturist for my hormone imbalance for quite a while. The naturapath put me on a lot of different supplements, most helpful but not a cure. The acupuncturist told me that in her Eastern Medicine opinion my wacky cycles, mood swings and serious flashes of anger were related to my liver health. If you do a search for liver chi imblance it might sound pretty familiar. I did a few months of twice a week treatments and supplements with her. But to be perfectly honest the wacky cycles didn't resolve until my January W30-probably the exclusion of alcohol helped me the most! She's treating my son now for his seasonal allergies, night waking and noisy joints. These three things are also related to liver function. The liver chi is the strongest between 1 and 3, which is when he wakes. She told him that he'll have to avoid alcohol like the plague-which I also have to heed-and that he should avoid high fat foods like nuts. Nadia might be right, you could get some relief by cutting out the nuts. I know I have cut way down on my consumption of nuts and only keep a packet of nut butter in my desk for emergencies. I used to keep a jar of nuts....until I ate them all in one day... :blink: She prescribed him some chinese herbals which he takes twice a day and would like him to take 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar in water but he's 8 and there are limits to what he'll do! I managed to get it in him once but he really hated it, so I'm not pushing the issue.

I hope you feel better and get some sleep! Fatigue makes us do all sorts of crazy things!

Hi Krista, thanks for this :) You know, I researched liver qi imbalance about a year ago for my anxiety and insomnia but never did much with it. Now that I look at it again I do actually have a lot of the symptoms: PMS, dry brittle nails, headaches, occasional ringing in the ears, waking up at night, floaters in my eyes, terrible night vision (I kick the same cup every night on my way to the bathroom and it drives me nuts!!). So based on your and Nadia's advice, I'm going to modify my diet a little:

1) Put even more focus on vegetables by making them 40 - 60% of the food I eat.

2) No more Larabars unless I'm ravenous and I have no access to good food.

3) No more sunbutter.

4) Reduce my protein to about 10 - 20% of my food.

5) Limit my decaf coffee with coco milk to 1 per day.

6) 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar in water every morning.

7) I've been using a lot of lard to fry things. Gonna reduce this a bit too.

8) Avoid nuts

I love that I'm learning what my body really needs!

Day 59 3/27/13

Sleep: 7.35 hours with Nyquil, first night using the Sleep Cycle app

7 2 blueberry sausage patties, 1/2 plantain, caffeinated peach tea

8:30 decaf coffee with coco milk

11 handful of cashews

12 braised beef, mixed roasted veg and sweet potato with red pepper sauce

6 best dinner ever! tomato coconut soup (try this one!!), turkey larb on romaine heart with cucumber, 1/2 portion of pumpkin noatmeal without banana and 3-4 mini chocolate chips

Supplements

Morning - 3 Fermented Cod Liver Oil capsules, 1 B-vitamin cap

Night - Raspberry Lemon Natural Calm - took an extra big portion because I have been feeling some low magnesium symptoms

Thoughts:

Super sleepy from Nyquil but at least I slept the whole night. Took Nadia's advice and avoided larabars and also sunbutter. Did yoga again - well done, me :)

Archived