Good Belly

Mom2A&M

sorry, but good belly is not ok during a whole30. It contains juice, sugar ("evaporated cane juice"), more juice, "natural flavors", oats, barley malt, citric acid and probiotics. The probiotics aren't even naturally occuring from fermentation, but they are added after the fact.

You are better off just taking a capsule if you want powdered probiotics.

If you want natural cultures, you need naturally fermented food, like Kombucha, Kvass, or cultured veggies like sauerkraut, cultured carrots or beets, etc.

What is Kvass? I want to be remarkable too! ;)

I am trying kombucha but not a fan, I am taking it like a shot 3x per day just to get some cultures in but it probably isn't enough. Don't like sauerkraut. Do I buy beets already fermented?

Kvass is a fermented beverage. Sometimes it is made with rye bread? I think? In which case it is not whole30 approved. Sometimes it is made with beets or with carrots, or fruit, in which case it is ok. I made some fruit kvass a while ago, but I like my kombucha better, so I stopped. Kvass tasted kind of pruney/musty to me.

Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions is a great source for this kind of stuff, although she isn't whole30, so you have to pick and choose and avoid dairy and grain options.

Kvass is a fermented beverage. Sometimes it is made with rye bread? I think? In which case it is not whole30 approved. Sometimes it is made with beets or with carrots, or fruit, in which case it is ok.

Correct!

Little historical note (this drink is traditional for my country). This drink is over 1000 years old. Name comes from the verb to pickle/ferment/make sour. During wars this drink was staple supplement in hospitals or military facilities. It can be made out of rye/wheat, fruit or milk. You can make it from pear, cranberries, cherries, lemons, etc. You can add raisins, mint, honey or pepper. It works as a base for soup too. But as MM said - kombucha is pretty much the same thing, but it's easier to find/make.

What is Kvass? I want to be remarkable too! ;)

I am trying kombucha but not a fan, I am taking it like a shot 3x per day just to get some cultures in but it probably isn't enough. Don't like sauerkraut. Do I buy beets already fermented?

If you don't like kombucha, I doubt you would like kvass. Some places sell naturally fermented carrots and beets, but you kind of have to hunt for them (they can't be pasturized or pressure canned or all the good bacteria will be dead). They are pretty easy to make yourself.

But honestly, if you don't like them, I would just get some probiotics in pill/capsule form. It's the same stuff or better, just not mixed into sweetened fruit juice. (of course natural ferments are better still...maybe it's worth trying to train your taste buds a little?)

Correct!

Little historical note (this drink is traditional for my country). This drink is over 1000 years old. Name comes from the verb to pickle/ferment/make sour. During wars this drink was staple supplement in hospitals or military facilities. It can be made out of rye/wheat, fruit or milk. You can make it from pear, cranberries, cherries, lemons, etc. You can add raisins, mint, honey or pepper. It works as a base for soup too. But as MM said - kombucha is pretty much the same thing, but it's easier to find/make.

OOH, now I want to try it again with cherries and pepper. sounds yummy.

How do I ferment my own food? ( btw, I case you didn't already know this) i am very new to all of this and was never much of a cook....I am learning as I go. For some reason beets are sounding fun to try, any recipes/instructions? I defiantly am trying to change my buds, hence the "shots" of kombucha! I feel like a child holding my nose to swallow, lol!

Does anyone know about a product called Good Belly? It was recommended to me by a co-worker for IBS symptoms. It's a drink the size of a shot found at Whole foods, just looking for some expert opinions. Thanks.

Hi Mom2A&M,

This is Ariel from GoodBelly! I came across your conversation and wanted to offer some information about our line of dairy-free, soy-free and vegan probiotic drinks for daily digestive health. GoodBelly is made with an extremely well-researched probiotic strain that is in fact found naturally occurring in humans, which is how it was originally identified as a probiotic many years ago by Swedish gastroenterologists. The probiotic strain is called Lactobacillus plantarum299v. If you'd like me to email you with a pdf of the probiotic strain's research summaries (which include IBS), I'd be happy to.

To keep our probiotic drinks dairy-free and soy-free, we ferment organic oat-flour and organic barley malt with the live and active cultures. While some of our juice beverages are sweetened with organic evaporated cane juice to keep the probiotic stable in a juice environment, we do offer several products with no sugar added, including GoodBelly StraightShot, GoodBelly BigShot and GoodBelly Probiotic Coconut Water. I understand that grains may not be an option while following the Whole30 program, but I would love to invite you to try GoodBelly if you're able to once your program is completed. We offer a 12 Day Challenge for new fans where you will receive coupons and further information on probiotics and GoodBelly, plus a money-back guarantee for your 12-day supply. You can sign up for the 12 Day Challenge here. If I can answer any other questions you might have, feel free to reach out! My email address is [email protected].

All my best from Boulder, Colorado,

Ariel

Hi Mom2A&M,

This is Ariel from GoodBelly! I came across your conversation and wanted to offer some information about our line of dairy-free, soy-free and vegan probiotic drinks for daily digestive health. GoodBelly is made with an extremely well-researched probiotic strain that is in fact found naturally occurring in humans, which is how it was originally identified as a probiotic many years ago by Swedish gastroenterologists. The probiotic strain is called Lactobacillus plantarum299v. If you'd like me to email you with a pdf of the probiotic strain's research summaries (which include IBS), I'd be happy to.

To keep our probiotic drinks dairy-free and soy-free, we ferment organic oat-flour and organic barley malt with the live and active cultures. While some of our juice beverages are sweetened with organic evaporated cane juice to keep the probiotic stable in a juice environment, we do offer several products with no sugar added, including GoodBelly StraightShot, GoodBelly BigShot and GoodBelly Probiotic Coconut Water. I understand that grains may not be an option while following the Whole30 program, but I would love to invite you to try GoodBelly if you're able to once your program is completed. We offer a 12 Day Challenge for new fans where you will receive coupons and further information on probiotics and GoodBelly, plus a money-back guarantee for your 12-day supply. You can sign up for the 12 Day Challenge here. If I can answer any other questions you might have, feel free to reach out! My email address is [email protected].

All my best from Boulder, Colorado,

Ariel

arg. now I feel bad for dissing your product. I'm sure it is well-intended, and better than what a lot of people are consuming, but it just doesn't meet my personal standards, and it doesn't fit the requirement of the whole30--luckily I'm not your target market, so no worries. thanks for stopping by.

ok, now down to business on fermenting your own foods.

veggies are pretty much all done the same way: take you veg (cabbage, carrots, beets, etc), slice thin, add sea salt (+veggie cultures, or some liquid from your old batch of fermented veggies or whey from yogurt if you aren't on a whole30) toss together. Let sit for 5-10 minutes so they let off a bunch of water. If there isn't enough water to cover, pound or mix agressively with your hands until you have more liquid. Put everything into a container (I use one of these:http://www.culturesforhealth.com/fermented-vegetable-master-half-gallon.html). pack it down as hard/tight as you can, and make sure there is liquid covering--you can add a little water at the point if needed. You might need to use a saucer or other weight to hold the veggies down in the liquid, but I've never needed to do that. Then you wait. 3-6 weeks or so, depending on the temperature--colder takes longer. Once it is done to your liking, transfer to a closed container in the fridge, which will slow fermentation down enough to keep pretty much indefinitly. I like to make sure there is always liquid covering, even in the fridge.

Kombucha needs a scoby, so first you either make one, or buy one (I used a bottle of plain GTs to make my first one: just leave the kombucha at room temperature in a container that is open to the air, but protected against bugs (like a jar with a cloth over it, secured with a rubber band). After several weeks, a scoby (basically a blob--"colony"--of yeast and bacteria) will grow on the surface of the liquid. Once that is 1/4" thick or so you can use it to start a new batch by making some sugar (gasp!) sweetened tea and putting that+some of the kombucha liquid+the scoby into a new open container with a cloth over it. Then you wait at least a week (I like 3). The scoby will eat most of the sugar, the longer you let it sit, the less sugar there will be in the final batch. Once it is done to your liking, either add a small amount of juice and ferment a day or two longer in a closed container, or transfer to a closed container in the fridge right away.

Here is the kvass recipe I used: http://www.greenkitc...ed-fruit-kvass/

You'll want to consult some recipes for exact proportions/quantities for the others. Sally Fallon is a great resource, as I mentioned above. Also Sandor Katz.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all of this great fermentation info-mation!

I am definitely going to try some of the fermented veg/kim-chee ideas. I love sauerkraut so maybe I'll start there. I read Sally Fallon years ago and half-heartedly adopted some of the ideas. Time to dig out my book.

Archived