Talk to me about coffee: how much is too much?

MamaD

i love coffee! And it's tempting to drink more than usual because I'm only at day 4 and I'm soooooo tired. Can barely keep my eyes open. Does Whole30 make any recommendations on what's ok and what's too much? Side note: I drink it black.

In the ISWF they recommend drinking coffee after you've eaten in the morning and to try and stop before noon. I'm guessing if your feeling exhausted and will be able to get to sleep at a normal hour a cup of coffee later in the day would be alright. Hope this helps.

If I remember correctly in ISWF they recommend keeping coffee at 2 cups per day and trying not to go more than that. ( I think it has something to do with leptin resistance?...am I making that up?) It can also suppress your appetite and prevent you from eating as W30 recommends. I would try and stay away from drinking it in the afternoon because it could interfere with your sleep. I promise your energy will come back. You are only on day 4 and your body is going through a lot of changes. Keep your head up, you're doing great.

The W30 coffee manifesto

http://whole9life.co...ffee-manifesto/

will tell you everything you want to know about drinking coffee, when how much, when not to etc. I too, like my coffee black. I usually only have one cup in the morning. i find too much does have a negative impact. Good luck and, as others have said, the tiredness will pass.

Edited to say, I was obviously typing this as you posted it :)

MamaD the coffee manifesto is one of my faves with the bacon manifesto a close second. There is also tons of info on the program at the top of this page under the different tabs. I'm on Tapatalk so I can't link it but a ton of great info up there. :)

If y'all subscribe to The W30 Daily, day 6 has a lot of useful info. on energy. Here's what I'm referring to:

"Your energy levels are (no surprise here) largely dictated by your food choices. Change your food, and you change your blood sugar regulation, your hormonal response to food, your sleep quality, and your ability to maintain consistently high energy levels throughout your day, without resorting to sugar or coffee for a 'boost.'"

This was really eye-opening when I read it at work. Here I was at 1pm drinking a cup of black coffee, festering in its mug and I thought, "Why am I drinking this coffee?" I was feeling tired, but that probably was because of lack of sleep and/or a hasty breakfast. Coffee has become a crutch for me. I think this has been a big Realization for me during my W30.

Having said that, I'd like to put my two-cents in. I greatly respect the views espoused in the 'Coffee Manifesto' but if we coffee addicts are really gonna take this seriously, I think limiting it can help amplify results and improve our energy levels.

My plan from here on out is to limit coffee to one or two times a week, or weekends. I only reach for FT or Direct Trade coffee, which is mostly organic and unprocessed. Instead of coffee, I'm drinking yerba mate. I know its debated if it has caffeine but it's definitely not as saturated as coffee. It's great hot or iced with lemon. I've also tried it with coconut milk. I like making it in a French press. Doing it the traditional way with the mate is fun, but it's more effort.

On a final note, I've found the Aeropress to be an amazing coffee-maker (maybe that's why I got so hooked). Use espresso beans for the high oil content. The Aeropress really pulls out all the flavors and never makes a bitter cup of Joe. With a splash of coconut milk, you'll forget your sugar and cream (and perhaps banish your drip coffee maker forever).

Archived