• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been reading Practical Paleo, great book, highly recommend it! I'm just now getting to the meal plan sections and will be perusing the recipes soon. Now that the birthday chaos is over and done with we'll be returning to our regularly scheduled paleo meals :D

I have not done my Whole30 yet because I got Practical Paleo first and loved the idea of transitioning into this Paleo lifestyle with someone else's meal plan. I did the squeaky clean plan which is mostly Whole30 (save some butter and trace honey) and loved it. Her recipes are amazing and I'm still mostly cooking from her book. I do plan to jump into a Whole30 at some point. Good job getting back on track today!

Aww, thanks for thinking of me! Yesterday was ok, a little low on the energy scale but that's typical on the first few days of my cycle. Food choices were fine, went out to lunch with my Dad and didn't stress about having some really good chevre cheese in my egg and sausage scramble! really did not want to cook dinner, little dude's been sick so I used the left over whole roasted chicken to make a chicken soup, had that and some avocado. Resisted the siren's call of sugar after dinner and crashed out early.

Paulo is finally back at school today, he special requested almond flour pancakes. After eating three eggs and some sausage patties I nibbled one pancake plain. Loved knowing when I was full I could stop eating even though what I ate was nummy!

M2: raw veg with creamy pesto mayo, 1/2 avocado and tuna

M3: ??? something quick and easy, I've been tired and feeling uninspired in the kitchen, husband has been working late, son's been sick, hard to get motivated. Plus I need dinner to be done early so I can finish cleaning up from the party chaos. My computer room is a disaster and Paulo has friends spending the night Friday, I foresee some minecraft and/or you tube time in their future! Truth be told I don't want to clean...I just want to read my book and drink tea!!! Sigh....momma's work is never done ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, it's been over a week since I updated. Foods been all over the board and, not surprisingly so has mood. I survived all the birthday craziness and have declared May to be party free! I will not be hostess with the mostess this month, I just do not have it in me. I feel the need to hibernate, which seems totally counter to the beautiful weather we've been having here. My favorite farmers market starts Saturday, Paulo and I will be hitting the market in the morning and then we're off for hair cuts in the afternoon. He **may** get a dramatic cut. He's been growing his hair for a few years, might be doing a locks of love donation! We're hitting brunch on Sunday for Mother's Day. I'm looking forward to the hair, I could take or leave the brunch!

M1 ground pork with shredded sweet potato and eggs, black coffee x 2

snack 3 dried apricots and a couple macadamia nuts-I don't think I was really hungry, I just wanted to eat

M2 spinach with cherry tomato, tuna and 1/4 avocado, drizzle of olive oil, more apricots and almonds....note to self, stop buying Turkish apricots....

I am feeling very tightly wound, mind is racing, unable to focus and cannot stay calm. Sucks! I don't think I've felt this bad since before my W30. I start the week with the intention of eating W30 but haven't been following through. I'm not eating terribly but definitely think I'm dipping too many toes into the GF waters. Yesterday I got a burger and got the GF bun, I started feeling weird after that. I've had back to back late night school board meetings and I'm definitely not getting enough sleep, I know that's contributing. And there's just a lot of stressors in my day to day. I know that with all the outside noise right now I need to eat clean, but May has not been a great month for that so far.

Dinner ended up being beef sliders with steamed carrots and sautéed mushrooms and Brussels sprouts. I had to fight the wine dragon...and the ice cream dragon....and the chocolate dragon...yikes I was tired! Did make dessert for me and the dude, pan fried bananas in coconut oil and put a little coconut butter on top, very tasty. Satisfied the sweet tooth without making me sugar crazy.

As planed I let myself get snuggle punched last night and fell asleep with my little guy. He has a calming effect on me, I'm eternally grateful that he still loves to snuggle with me. I'm not sure what I'll do if one day he says no more....I think I'll buy a dog.

M1 ground pork with leftover sprouts and mushrooms and two eggs, black coffee

Went for a walk in the sun with two of my girls which was part exercise part therapy....theracise....then had coffee with one to continue the mental purging. Good friends and sunshine makes a world of difference!

• 2 months later...

Hello fellow forum friends!  I'm dusting off my old log and will be posting again for a while.  Things have been going...ok.... but I desperately need a system reboot.  I'm starting a W15, not a full 30, because I have some events and outings coming up that I want to be flexible about.  My plan now is to complete the 15, have the weekend free to make off plan choices and then go back to another 15.  I've definately increased my grain-y comsumptions...and sugar....oh and dairy too!  I feel less than stellar but not as bad as I did preW30. 

I'm working from home now, so my stress level is way down.  I have not been working out though and need to build that into my day.  I do think I'm more active than I was before just because I'm home and cleaning and playing with my son, but getting into an exercise routine is key to these next few weeks.  I turned 39 Sunday and I think that has revived my health spark.  We've been rather indulgent these last few weeks, my husband has been working longer hours and the social cocktail hour has been our reconnect-need to stock up on Kombucha so we can still have that time but with something different in my glass.  It's interesting to me that despite my increased alcohol consumption-and a more than fair amount of beer!-I have not been the cranky, depressed person I felt like before.  I think a huge part of that is that I'm finally more in peace about my work/life balance and I'm home with my son.  Regardless of the decrease in emotional aftermath it's time to take a break.   

Thanks!  Yes, stress is the root of all evil!  Finding balance in our modern world is hard though, the deck is definately stacked against us.

Paulo is a very happy dude right now, he's home with me and has the summer to play with his friends, it's what he's "always wanted" :)

We've been pretty lax about our diet, his allergies are up, so I'll be getting back on track with him too.  It hasn't been wheat, that we still avoid, but he's had a lot of corn and too much sugar.  I will say though even though they're up they are no where near his brother, his father or even his own in summers past.  He's a much healthier child this year and I know it has a lot to do with food.  He's even had a few nights lately where he didn't wake me up!  Honestly I think for him stress is a big factor in that too.  Last school year wasn't great, in fact we have recently made the decision to change schools.  Once he admitted that was what he wanted-he didn't want to hurt my feelings because he knew I was really, really involved with his charter school, he went to bed that night and didn't wake until 8:15-that is close to a miracle sleep in our house!  Last Thursday he slept through but was up at 5:45-I was up that day anyway to cover at the shop for my husband who took a rare day off.  He's always been an early riser so that sleeping unitl 8:15 was bizarre-yes I had to go check to make sure he was till breathing ;)

Day one of my W15 is coming to a close, all in all it's been a positive day.

M1: ground pork breakfast sausage, sauted kale and brusells sprouts and one egg.  Coffee with coconut oil.  Coffee, black

M2: much delayed due to a lengthy wait at the Humane Society, my son and I adopted two sweet little kittens, if I could figure out the photo posting I'd share some pics of my new family!  Grabbed a lara bar to keep from turning into hangry mom.  Then had raw cucs, tomatoes and red bell pepper with chicken breast and a little cantaloupe.

M3: steamed cauliflower, roasted chicken thigh and drumstick and a couple other veggies-that meal is still in the oven.  Husband is working late again so we'll be eating a little later-got to love the summer schedule.

Other positives for the day, much increased water consumption!  Ever since I started working at home I've had a hard time getting my water in.  Today was a good water day.  Mood is good, I'm tired, but that's not out of the ordinary, last week/weekend was insanely busy.  Challenge though is still to come, husband is due home any minute and I won't be joining him for welcome home cocktail.  Making a fresh bottle of fizzy water now!

Survived day one's challenge, husband did arrive home, took one look at our TWO new kittens and proceeded to get himself a drink.  He asked me if I "started my thing" which means, are you drinking with me?  To which I declared, yes, yes I did start "my thing".  Score one for Krista.  Had a lot of fizzy water with lemon and a cup of tea after dinner.  Went to bed early and slept....ok.  One thing I'd really love is to improve the quality of my sleep.  It's not great. 

Today is my mother's birthday, she would have been 67-I think.  Maybe 68.  She died 7 years ago.  This day is normally an emotional landmine, today has not been that bad.  My Dad invited me and Paulo out to breakfast, I end up countering and having him come here instead.  Too hard to eat clean at the traditional breakfast spots around here!  Besides, he needed to meet my new furry babies!

M1: pork breakfast sausage patties, two eggs in coconut oil, sauted kale and 1/2 small sweet potato.  Coffee x 2, one with coconut oil

M2: two chicken drumsticks, left over steamed veggies, the last of my raw marinated kale salad with blueberries and peaches

M3: roasted chicken-yes I know too much chicken lately!!  It's what I had handy though.  I think I'll cook the other half of my sweet potato with some coconut milk and serve with a simple salad. 

I am tired.  My lower back is killing me.  And I'm fighting some serious wine cravings.  Well, it's not really wine, let's face it, I'm not picky, any alcohol would do.  Instead I'm sitting for a few minutes to update here and sipping a gingerberry kombucha-out of a wine glass.  I will say coming home to a super loving kitten totally helps reduce the stress of the day!  I go into our shop every wednesday, it's my one day on site a week, and I really feel the stress.  I always did really but I couldn't really acknowledge how anxious and uptight I was.  Now that I have most of my days working at home I can see just how negative my work environment has been.  Working at home has been the best decision I've made in easily 10 years-ever since I decided to get pregnant with my little dude, Paulo!

Plan for tonight is to eat a good healthy nourishing meal.  Sip a cup of chamomile tea.  Play with my kitties.  Take a long, hot bath and go to bed and read.  Boozy dragon....I'm not biting!

Archived