finished whole30 and weight loss minimal is this normal

Hi have just finished 30 days and weighed myself was very dissapointed only lost 3kg but have lost 3cm each on waist,hips and chest. I have another 10kg to go should I continue for another 30days. I am feeling great and getting lots of comments saying I have lost weight but the scales are not showing this. I know it is not about the weight but this is what most of people ask me, how much I have lost. Am I supposed to keep going with this whole 30 until I am nearer to my recommended weight?

I didn't lose much weight doing this, at all, but my measurements changed. Tom (one of the mods) will tell you he gradually lost 2 lbs/month for 15 months. The amount you lost isn't unusual. The people who have big dramatic losses in one month generally are people who had more weight to lose.

People are pretty horrible at visually estimating weight. If someone asks you about it, and you don't want to discuss it, you can always just say "I don't weigh myself any more so I don't really know". People who are really weight-obsessed boggle a little when you tell them you don't weigh.

What befabdaily said. You've lost centimeters, you're feeling great and people can see a difference in you. Isn't that better than some arbitrary number on a scale? Which would you rather, you lost 10k but looked the same so no one noticed or you didn't lose as much but people see you're looking better? I know which one I'd rather have :)

What you do now is entirely up to you but, if I were you, I'd keep on nourishing my body this way, knowing that it will become the best, healthiest body you can have and will settle at the weight that's right for it. All the best in your ongoing healthy life.

I think it's a matter of perspective, too. That's what I lost and I thought it was an insanely large amount of weight to lose all in one month. Then I lost the same amount my next Whole30. You don't have to share my perspective, at all - just letting you know that what you expected to lose may play into your feelings of success or disappointment.

If you are overall healthier and have received other benefits, this might well be the way to go forward, as the other posters have said. Either way, congrats and good luck!

Well done! To put it in perspective, that rate of weight loss is equivalent to 36kg in a year, I don't think you could do much better than that ever unless you resorted to extreme unhealthy measures and instead you have undertaken the healthiest action you could. So again congratulations!

• Moderators

I felt despair when I read this post last night. Despair that anyone could feel great and be getting lots of positive comments, but be disappointed in her results because she expected to lose more than 3kg and 3cm around her body in 30 days. My despair is not because one woman was disappointed, but because hundreds of women who visit this forum report similar disappointment with similar results.

The world we live in has lost touch with the reality of the human body. 3kg of weight loss in one month is an enormous change. For me, losing 3kg would mean losing 3 percent of my total body weight. I would disappear in less than 3 years at that rate. Poof. Gone. No more. Nothing left at all. I lost 1 percent of my body weight during my first Whole30 and was excited about it. I was excited that I had gone for 30 days without being hungry, looked better, became stronger, and lost 1kg.

Last night I could not respond to this post because I was gripped by despair. This morning I find four beautiful responses from people who truly understand being healthy and losing weight. I just want to say thank you for being there. For having words when I had none.

It's not easy to let go when weight and body image have plagued you your entire life since before puberty. I still havnt been able to get rid of the scale, it's like a security blanket, it's how I know I'm heading in the right direction or staying on track.

I am trying to overcome this. I know it will take awhile but I will be patient and continue to take steps to not rely on that one number.

Thank you all for continuing to encourage us as I believe this is a problem worth fixing.

Yikes! I'm on day 4 of this plan and now I don't know what to think. I started on this because I really want to loss this belly fat that's been with me for the past 7-8 years. So, I guess this won't happen but hey, I'll be healthy? Come on folks; of course body image is important! I'm a young widow and I'm sure if there was an available suitor out there that looked at me with my huge belly fat standing next to a woman with none, yet the same age, that he'd take a second look at the female with no belly fat. And I don't need the psychology of 'it's what's inside that counts' because I know all that. I'm just sayin'. I will continue with the plan for the duration and probably do another 30. Just don't patronize us girls that do want to look good, too.

Yikes! I'm on day 4 of this plan and now I don't know what to think. I started on this because I really want to loss this belly fat that's been with me for the past 7-8 years. So, I guess this won't happen but hey, I'll be healthy? Come on folks; of course body image is important! I'm a young widow and I'm sure if there was an available suitor out there that looked at me with my huge belly fat standing next to a woman with none, yet the same age, that he'd take a second look at the female with no belly fat. And I don't need the psychology of 'it's what's inside that counts' because I know all that. I'm just sayin'. I will continue with the plan for the duration and probably do another 30. Just don't patronize us girls that do want to look good, too.

I think the point is that it cant be your ONLY focus. Also,you cant expect to reverse 7-8 years in 30 days but its a start. :)

Thank you all for your support, I guess I have been focusing on that number on the scales too long, and have never been happy with that number even when I was 10 kg lighter. I will carry on with another 30days and will concentrate on how I'm feeling and ditch the scales. I am liking the way I'm looking and that is the main thing. I will now be telling people who ask how much I've lost that I don't weigh myself anymore,, it is amazing the response you get when you say that as that is what I told people while I was on the 30 days.

Thanks again.

I shrank into some jeans that were too small previously and could not wait to weigh myself- I just KNEW I mist have lost 5-10 lbs to fit into those pants...no, I gained 1.8 lbs! I felt so betrayed by that number. Once I calmed down, I took my revenge...I took out the battery and threw it behind the washing machine and left the scale in the laundry room too. I look and feel so much better I can't let that scale take those feelings away, and I won't. This is quite possibly one of the best parts of my whole30 learning experience- it's really liberating. Of course I still care what I look like, I still exercise and strive to be better but I know that number doesn't mean what I think it means anymore.

Even if you DO care about scale weight, 3 kg is almost 7 lbs... that's about 1.75lbs/week. Completely in the healthy weight loss range. I know it's frustrating when you have a bunch of weight to lose; it's hard to remember that it takes time.

Putting my scale in the cabinet under the bathroom sink this morning really changed my obsessive attitude toward daily weighing. By removing the temptation, there is nothing to fret over. Out of sight, out of mind :)

Yikes! I'm on day 4 of this plan and now I don't know what to think. I started on this because I really want to loss this belly fat that's been with me for the past 7-8 years. So, I guess this won't happen...

Well, it won't happen all at once and like magic in the first month, that's for sure. Last May I did a Whole30. I have been mostly paleo since then; I am not doing a Whole30 at the moment. And somehow, this last few weeks, my body is changing without any volition on my part. I've suddenly lost an inch off my waist and belly without really doing anything. Yet my weight went UP at the same time. I know, WHAT? It's totally nonlinear.

It's an exercise in Zen. Have no expectations and let it go.

I really think we should start a "no more scales" movement. Picket signs and bull horns. It's just a number. It means nothing. Yes we all want to look good. Of course we do. Men and women want to look good. However, the number on a scale and the way we look is a disconnect. All of those compliments but disappointment at the numbers. We all can be that way and it's a shame.

I used to be a daily weigher. Horrid stuff. If I didn't like the number, I would sometimes weigh again. Lawdy.

I pimped my scale out to my downstairs neighbor who was distraught after hers broke. I felt a little guilty for giving it to her. I recently moved a little further from her and she asked if I wanted it back. When I said no, she said "oh you must be weighing at the gym". She looked all loopy when I told her I hadn't weighed in months.

No more scales or tape measures for that matter!! Just sit back and soak up the compliments or screen the suitors. :0)

Being a guy, I must address this....

In my experience the girls that look the best are the girls that feel the best in their own skin! I've know, dated, even married a girl who had perfect bodies ( by today's f&@ked up standards.... ) But they hated themselves and always compared them selves to others that were younger and hotter..... they were plagued by bulimia, eating disorders,personality disorders... On and on and even with their " perfect" bodies they became very ugly, very fast...

In contrast I've been with women ( and am now happily married to the love of my life) who had/ have good to average bodies, but have amazing self image, great personalities and are a pleasure to be with...... These women are precious/ priceless/ and truly are the most beautiful women in the world! I mean it. They are beautiful !!! So maybe they have a bit of Belly fat, cellulite, sagginess..... We see right past it as long as they are not neurotic basket cases!

So what I'm saying is no matter what your weight.... What the scale says.... What other people say..... Your self image will project itself upon you and if you feel fat/ugly, you will appear that way.... If you are healthy and happy and not stresses and obsessed about a number, if you feel sexy and beautiful ..... You will be

Belly fat - don't lose hope. I'm only 2 weeks in on Whole30, but at about Day 10 my trainer, who've I've been working out with once a week for almost a year, said, "You really look trimmer through the middle this week." I had not told him about starting Whole30 and he had never commented before, so I took that as a really good sign that even though I am not weighing or measuring, something good is happening.

Thank you all, who contributed to my 'body image' rant. Mea culpa if I offended anyone (was it the Week 1 crazies??) Fenderbender, thanks so much for your male perspective! I do care about how I look yet also want to get back to healthy eating. My Mom is 89 years old, started with early Alzheimers in her mid 70's and is now in a nursing home and lives (in her mind) in the 1930's. I'm 61 and DO NOT want this to be me in my coming years! Some days I truly feel I have begun the early stages because my memory is so bad. So, I really am first focusing on healthy eating, then body image, and why Whole30 looked to be a great start. My 19 year old daughter is the catalyst as she told me she would be the one taking care of me and couldn't stand to see me like her grandmother.

Hi Jeannie, don't worry we're not easily offended here :) and it is a safe place to rant.

To be honest, I think a lot of women get totally screwed up around food by society (men might too, I just don't have personal experience). I'm the same age as you and as I grew up food was used in our house as a reward or to make you feel better. You know the scenario 'Oh you've hurt your knee, never mind, have a cookie, that'll make it better' :blink: So, as we're growing up we're already being taught unhealthy attitudes to food.

Then, when we're older we're presented with ideal weights, nowadays BMIs, that we're all meant to attain regardless of our build or whether we have a lot of muscle. To make matters worse, society laughs at that. When did you last see a catwalk model or film star or other celebrity that even approached a healthy BMI - they're way below it - the cult of the size zero. so women are all meant to aspire to that unatainable ideal at the same time as the standard junk food diet is designed to make you obese! You just can't win :wacko:

Well, actually you can, that's where W30 comes in ;) . It really helps us to get back to that normal healthy relationship with food we should have and, as you say, lets us get healthier while we're at it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look good, to look the best you can just as we want to be as healthy as we can. Now that's my rant over :) Good luck and all the best in your W30 journey and your continuing healthy life.

Hi Jeannie, don't worry we're not easily offended here :) and it is a safe place to rant.

To be honest, I think a lot of women get totally screwed up around food by society (men might too, I just don't have personal experience). I'm the same age as you and as I grew up food was used in our house as a reward or to make you feel better. You know the scenario 'Oh you've hurt your knee, never mind, have a cookie, that'll make it better' :blink: So, as we're growing up we're already being taught unhealthy attitudes to food.

Then, when we're older we're presented with ideal weights, nowadays BMIs, that we're all meant to attain regardless of our build or whether we have a lot of muscle. To make matters worse, society laughs at that. When did you last see a catwalk model or film star or other celebrity that even approached a healthy BMI - they're way below it - the cult of the size zero. so women are all meant to aspire to that unatainable ideal at the same time as the standard junk food diet is designed to make you obese! You just can't win :wacko:

Well, actually you can, that's where W30 comes in ;) . It really helps us to get back to that normal healthy relationship with food we should have and, as you say, lets us get healthier while we're at it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look good, to look the best you can just as we want to be as healthy as we can. Now that's my rant over :) Good luck and all the best in your W30 journey and your continuing healthy life.

This is brilliant and should be published somewhere. Thank you, Kirsteen.

Archived