Sleep eating, anyone?

Does anyone else out there sleep eat? I only do it occasionally, but I am really nervous, because my husband is not doing Whole 30 with me, and the apt. has lots of contraband in it. I'm on Day 12 and going strong, I just don't want to have any problems.

I have a small apartment, and my pantry has no door to lock (or even close) and my cabinets have no knobs on which to attach a lock at all, so I think I just have to tough it out and hope I won't slip up in my sleep.

Anyone have any other stories about this, or suggestions?

I've done some other weird stuff in my sleep, but so far not eating. Yet.

Can you put something between you and the food that will wake you up but not be a hazard? Like some jingle bells in the bedroom doorway, or pots and pans on the way into the kitchen? I guess technically you could trip on those. Bucket of water rigged in the doorway?

Joey, thank you for reading and answering. I unfortunately have no bedroom doorway, either. I could try the pots and pans...in the meantime, I am having my husband flat-out hide the macadamia nuts I woke up eating last night. (OH, I forgot to put that in my original post! Yes, this question was prompted because I did sleep eat.)

Thanks again!

It is possible that I did some sleep driving in my past. :o I can totally see how you want to get the full Whole30 effect since you are trying so hard when you are awake. I used a couple of tactics to prevent myself from getting lost in the woods and to prevent myself from getting to my car.

I set windchimes above my door that I would set off if I walked through the door. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of leaving them on the door and I would walk around them during the day, so I learned to do that in my sleep.

So, I set up a pyramid of empty aluminium cans that I would knock over. The hope was to wake myself or someone else with the noise.

Another tactic might be to put up strings of bells over the shelves. Your hands would set off the bells, again to wake you or someone else to stop you.

Finally, I have no idea if it is related, but are you hungry at night? I have heard that people increase their breakfast intake to reduce nighttime hunger and some increase fat, in general.

Thank you, Nico, for the suggestions and ideas. I do think I might have been hungry last night...I tried to eat a bit bigger dinner tonight. Hopefully that will help.

I just might try the cans or the bells...

Thank you!

I do think I might have been hungry last night...I tried to eat a bit bigger dinner tonight. Hopefully that will help.

Just wanted to add that several people on here, myself included, have found that being hugry at night has more to do with how much I eat for brakfast than for dinner. I find that having a really good breakfast seems to cure night time hunger. If I have a light breakfast or skip it completely, I'm always really hungry at night no matter how big a dinner I have. Good luck

• 3 years later...

I sleep eat!! So does my best friend!! 

I have not eating anything off the plan so far but I did wake up this morning with an apple in my bed!!! I was like "OHH My WORD!!!!"

I drink lots of water to make sure it's not because I'm thirsty. I have fibromyalgia and can't sleep.. Can't wind down or shut down so I have to take meds to go to sleep.. Which causes the sleep eating.  I did go a couple nights without getting up at all.. And like the person above..I did not eat a good breakfast yesterday.. Well, I didn't eat at all until an apple at 2pm. Won't do that again. I had a good breakfast this morning so I hope I sleep all night tonight! :)

So glad I'm not alone. 

Sherry

If it were me, I would have a mini-meal or snack just before bed (no fruit or nuts) consisting of protein & fat, like a boiled eggs or chicken & avocado, something like that.  This might satiate you enough that you won't be hungry enough to sleep eat.

Archived