3+ hr bike ride tomorrow w/o sugar

stillrollin

This will be a big test for me and will dictate what I do in training post W30 (I'm on day 25).

I've got a refrigerator full of Gatorade and about a dozen gels waiting in the wings.

It's an afternoon ride so I'll be starting with a full tank. I'd like to eat as little as possible but fear the bonk. I'll go with two water bottles, cashews and raisens mixed, a cashew Lara bar and possibly a banana. I'm not used to eating solids (or carrying them!) but usually consume about 300 calories an hour on such rides.

Any other suggestions? I like to K.I.S.S. I will have a bento box.

It's supposed to be a Zone 2 (easy) ride but it's a group ride - read: 35 yr old male egos, and I'm 48 :o and some seriously hilly terrain over 60 miles so I'm sure there will be plenty of hard efforts.

Wish me luck anyway :rolleyes:

One thing I intend to do on my long runs coming up this Spring is to use those packages of unsweetened applesauce (found near the regular packets, but they are in "gel-like" packaging), so a no-brainer to use for endurance fueling. They are a bit heftier to carry than a gel, but not as much of a hassle as say, a banana. You can also find some in of all places, the baby food aisle. Nuts and running for me do not mix, but you may have a different experience since you're on the bike. I've found other dried fruit like papaya, mango, pineapple, something with a bit higher natural sugar content best mimics a gel.

Good luck!

One thing I intend to do on my long runs coming up this Spring is to use those packages of unsweetened applesauce (found near the regular packets, but they are in "gel-like" packaging), so a no-brainer to use for endurance fueling. They are a bit heftier to carry than a gel, but not as much of a hassle as say, a banana. You can also find some in of all places, the baby food aisle. Nuts and running for me do not mix, but you may have a different experience since you're on the bike. I've found other dried fruit like papaya, mango, pineapple, something with a bit higher natural sugar content best mimics a gel.

Good luck!

I'd forgotten about the applesauce. Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Salt pills could be really helpful for you. I'd also have a chilled coconut water waiting in the fridge for after.

In lieu of salt tabs I have enduralites, but I'll have to check the ingredients. Unfortunately, I cant stand coconut water, but thanks.

Loved the applesauce, thanks again.

Overall my nutrition worked out though the ride ended up being 4 hours and I got dropped. That had more to do with fatigue (I've beat my legs up while on W30) and the pace.

I can do this w/o sugar and think I may have drank my last Gatorade!

Once I pick up my training in a few weeks I plan to try the figs stuffed with almonds, some nuts and either sweet potatoes (in the aforementioned baby food squeezable containers with twist-off lids) or a sweet potato and apple mash I found a recipe for in my Paleo Slow Cooker Cookbook.

I think one of the "Steal this Meals" on the Whole9 blog is kind of a sweet potato leather thing... it tastes awesome, is light and fairly easy to pack. I used it during a metric-century ride a couple years ago...

Archived