Day 28: Digestive Issues and Tiredness

NDH

Alright, so I've been on the whole30 for 28 days now, and up until Monday (Day 24) I was having no issues. I felt fabulous. I was sleeping great with no tiredness or crashes during the day, and I was having no problems with my digestion, no gassiness or feeling bloated, regular BM's. Everything was going great. On Monday, though, I began to feel like I needed a nap, and I had some issues using the bathroom that night. I wasn't completely stopped up, it was just more difficult than it had been. This has continued to happen this entire week. I'm trying to figure out if this means I need to keep going after my 30 days.

I've been completely compliant during the entire whole30. For every meal I've been making sure to have a protein source (I only eat poultry, so it's been turkey, chicken, or eggs), a healthy fat source (avocado or olive oil mostly, but at times nuts or coconut milk), and lots of veggies (I normally have at least 2-3 types of veggies at every meal). I haven't been eating a ton of fruit, at most 1-2 servings a day, but some days I don't have any. I drink plenty of water, at least 80 oz a day but normally more (my water intake hasn't changed since before the whole30). I normally stay full between meals, so I've probably only eaten a snack a handful of times since starting. I also have only had one craving the entire time I've been on this, I had a migraine one day and really wanted some chocolate.

Also, I was a vegetarian for five years (until last year), and since then I haven't been a huge meat eater. I honestly don't like it very much and have been thinking of going back to a veg when this is over.

So, do you think I should still plan with the reintroduction after day 30, or should I attempt to wait a little longer?

Hi, it's obviously going to have to be a personal decision. All I can say is that I had quite a few digestive issues during my first W30 so I continued and did a W60. I'm not saying you have to do that but I just felt I wanted all issues resolved for a while before I reintroduced anything, so that if I had any reactions I would be absolutely sure it was from reintro and not just my gut playing up. Good luck whatever you decide.

I guess my biggest thing is that I haven't had ANY digestive issues up to this point. Actually, I could tell that there was a difference for the better until Monday. Like, for instance, before starting the Whole30 I would get gassy every single night about an hour after dinner. After a few days of being on the whole30 that completely went away. Also, until this point, I had a TON of energy. I work 2nd shift, and before starting I would get 8 hours of sleep a night, and then still need a nap before I left for work otherwise I would get sleepy while on my shift. After about the first week, I was consistently getting only about 6-7 hours of sleep, but I felt great throughout my entire day.

I guess it's just strange to me that I was seeing all this improvement in these areas, but then when I'm nearing the end everything goes downhill.

That kind of happened to me and was so confusing, but I have been experimenting with the amount of insoluble fiber I'm eating (eating much much less) as well as eliminating many FODMAPS (both of these topics are discussed at www.chriskresser.com). Were you eating grains as part of your previous diet? If so and if you are sensitive to them you could need more time. I would be very weary of re-introducing anything until yor digestion returns to normal. My approach is very much- what else do I need to take out. But that's me and I'm highly sensitive to grains- consisting I ate them almost my whole life it stands to reason it's going to take a lot more than a month to clear it up.

I'm kind of feeling the same way. I came here looking for answers. I'm on day 23, and until about 5 days ago, I felt great. Now I have no energy, have had gas and even loose stools. What's going on???? My eating has been consistent, my water intake did drop a little (maybe 48oz a day) for 2 days. I'm feeling a little defeated. I should be on top of the world right now...shouldn't I? I do have a good deal of stress in my life right now, so possibly that's it. I just really want to feel better.

Something to throw in the ring:

If your food/water/Whole30dom has been consistent, and you haven't added any new foods, there a big chance that something other than food is your primary factor here. An increase of stress, decrease in sleep, emotional upset, hormones (if you're a lady), exposure to an illness (even without "getting sick"), even a mild case of food poisoning....all of those could cause the above issues for you. Perhaps a big picture look would help us help you?

I'm glad you say that Robin- I easily fall into the trap of pinning too many woes on my food. While I would always look at my food choices first for an explanation, I need to keep running on down that list of factors.

Big picture: I'm a 42 year old woman. I have 3 kids, an 18 and a 16 year old daughters and an almost 3 year old son. The teens for as much as they are good kids, are burgeoning adults and really push their limits with me. This has been a HUGE stress factor for me the last few days (are my kids making me sick??? ;) ). I work from home, which I love because I can keep my little guy close. My mom watches him while I work. He has several life threatening food allergies (dairy, eggs, peanuts and tree nuts), so it is less stressful to have him home where it's always safe for him.

I actually have 2 homes. I spend 2 weeks at each. One house is where my girls call home, and the other home is 3 hours away with my partner/son's father. I go there when my girls are with their father. My first 2 weeks on whole 30 were there, and it was all really easy. Now that I am back with my girls, it's a little more tricky, but I think I'm managing just fine. One of my kids is a vegetarian, so I try to add meat to my meals at the end (after she has her portion/serving), so that is one thing that is different.

When I feed my partner, he just eats what I serve him and is grateful for my home cooking, and the effort that I put into feeding us well. :wub:

My daughters have opinions on everything I feed them, and complain about half of the time. :angry:

Dear Daughter: I love you too much to argue with you about the dinner selection. Trust that I make these decisions based on sound scientific evidence because I care about our health. Eat what you like and the next meal will be served at breakfast. Love, Mom

The thing is, it's not like they are uneducated about food and health. They are "into" healthy eating as well, only one is all about being a vegetarian and is moving towards being full vegan. The other one thinks (although doesn't practice) that raw food is where it's at. Well they actually BOTH are really into raw food. Every meal is an opportunity for them to tell me why their "method" is best. I LOVE discussing, and am open minded to all different approaches. I DO try to make sure that we eat a good amount of raw foods, but right now I'm doing "whole 30". I don't want to argue it's merits every freaking meal! You know?

Oh and at 18, she doesn't trust that I make any decisions based on sounds scientific evidence. She is brilliant, and unless she herself has done the research, she is skeptical. I like that she is skeptical, and a free thinker, but I would love it if she would trust me once in a while. University is less than 6 months away...tick tock tick tock..

Oh Bump you really have my sympathy. My *kids* are now 24 and 27 and I'm lucky in that I really really like them as adults as well as loving them as my kids. BUT, but the teenage years - ouch! I don't think a day went past when I didn't continually mutter through really clenched teeth 'this too shall pass - this freakin better pass'

Funnily enough I was also a raw food vegan for a couple of years so I kinda know where your daughters are coming from. Obviously I'm not now and I totally believe W30 is much healthier but, personally, I wouldn't waste my breath arguing with that age group :) I would make it clear I would discuss this any time they wanted except at mealtimes. If she's into reading and doing research you could ask her what she thinks of this website. It really goes into the science of it.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/

For what it's worth having gone through the 'Huh - what do you know' stage my daughter now regulary phones for advice and my son will bring his friends through and say 'ask my mum, she'll know'. I never thought this day would come :rolleyes: I wish you all the best - good luck

Archived