Whats the deal with salt?

Not sure who "everyone" is but I have a feeling it isn't anyone connected to Whole9. Doing away with processed foods lowers your salt intake. Unless you have some sort of medical condition and are under Doctors orders, there is no need to limit your salt. I sprinkle salt lightly as I cook so that my food is well seasoned and zings my tastebuds. I don't pour it on by the spoonful.

• Moderators

You don't hear that you should limit salt in Whole30 circles. You hear that salt is dangerous to your health in a world where people eat processed food that is heavy with salt. When you are preparing fresh meat and veggies, you can add as much salt as you like. Once you cut out processed foods, the volume of salt in your life drops and you are far away from the area where salt might be a problem. I worry about people not eating enough when they do a Whole30 and continue to avoid salt.

slw600 is correct (and so is Tom!). Salt doesn't need to be limited on the whole30 unless you have a medical reason to do so. I would, however, pay attention to the quality of salt you are using. Most table salt is processed and stripped of many beneficial minerals. Sea Salt, especially high quality sea salt, has abundant minerals that can be hard to get from other sources, so use the best salt you can afford. enjoy!

Before starting Whole 30 the first time, I had high blood pressure and my doctor was always telling me to limit salt--I hardly ever ate it. Now that I do Whole 30 regularly, I eat way more salt (I usually opt for sea salt) and my blood pressure is perfect without medication. I agree that salt becomes a non issue once you cut out the other crap.

So you guys are correct. "Everyone" is referring to the world outside of the whole 9... even into the paleo world. Ive been paleo for 4 months or so and have avoided salt like a plague thinking it was bad for me. Shoot. However, I looked at the idolized salt currently in my home and it has added sugar. How strange. What is a "Quality Brand" of sea salt?

Im not gonna lie, Im actually rather excited about using salt again. Food has been rather bland.

Also, What about added salt in things like canned green beans, or canned chicken broth. Im assuming that would also be ok.

Whats the recommenced intake of salt?

Thanks for all the responses!

I really like celtic sea salt, but himalayan pink salt is really nice too. I think if you use it at the table (vs.overseasoning while cooking) it is pretty unlikely you will get too much. Just use as as much as you need to make the flavors pop

without tasting too salty. yum.

edit: on canned green beans and chicken broth...I don't really know, since I don't use those, but as long as the ingredients are compliant (no sneaky sugar, etc), they are ok on the whole30.

Le Tressor brand French grey sea salt is my fav..... Rather pricey though..... I don't limit salt but I have found that I use less and less as my taste buds have woken up.... I rarely eat out but about two weeks ago I had a compliant meal at Chipotle and could barely eat it as I found it to be way way salty....

Archived