Smoked salmon

PaleoJAX

• 1 year later...

I am bumping this thread in hopes of someone in Northern California sharing where they get smoked salmon without sugar. I have been to almost every store in my town with no luck. Every single package of smoked salmon I inspect has sugar in it and some punk kid at the butcher told me smoked salmon MUST have sugar in it or it won't cure. I am 100 miles from the nearest whole foods, but am willing to order some online if necessary. 

Where do you get your smoked salmon from? I am in Chico, the heart of Paleo country, surely there must be some smoked salmon without sugar somewhere around here?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Urgh. I bought a 12oz package of smoked salmon from whole foods and the damned thing has sugar in it. 0 grams mind you, but I'm only on day 1. Now I am going to have to keep it in my fridge without eating it for the whole month. It is good for 6 week apparently ...

Seriously, what is wrong with food manufacturers that they feel the need to put sugar in everything!?

Food manufacturers don't add extra sugar, it's the residual sugar from the curing process.  I've made smoked salmon without sugar.  It's not as good as with sugar, but it can be done.  And it's really easy to make.  Look online for a recipe.  I use Wright's liquid smoke which has no additives.  Since you won't be using sugar, I suggest curing for a shorter time followed by a very thorough rinsing.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, Goody2shz said:

Food manufacturers don't add extra sugar, it's the residual sugar from the curing process.  I've made smoked salmon without sugar.  It's not as good as with sugar, but it can be done.  And it's really easy to make.  Look online for a recipe.  I use Wright's liquid smoke which has no additives.  Since you won't be using sugar, I suggest curing for a shorter time followed by a very thorough rinsing.  Good luck!

When you look at a package of smoked salmon and it says "salmon, salt, sugar, spices", then the sugar is definitely added. Anything "residual" would still be there and still not ok for Whole30. 

I'm not disputing the fact that any food that lists sugar is not Whole30 compliant, and I don't know how you got that from my post.  To clarify, manufacturers use sugar and salt and perhaps some spices and smoke flavoring to make smoked salmon, then rinse it off after a specified time.  I'm sure the salmon does absorb some of the sugar.  Hence the ingredients list shows sugar, as it should.  The important point I'm trying to make is it's possible and very easy to make your own smoked salmon to completely avoid the sugar.  I was also distinguishing the fact that the sugar listed was most likely used to cure the fish as opposed to being added after the curing process.

@Goody2shz How I got that was "Food manufacturers don't add extra sugar". Any sugar added to salmon, rinsed off or not, is extra sugar. Your post read (to me) like you were trying to say all the sugar used in the cure is used up or somehow goes away before it becomes the finished product, like how it's fermented in kombucha. 

• 2 months later...

I live in Alaska with a ready source of wild salmon. We love our home-smoked fish and pressure-can fresh and smoked. The problem is, I know of no good brines (fish needs to be cured in a sugar/salt brine prior to smoking, like bacon) without sugar. The smoked salmon that most perple are used to is sweet.

Ducktrap River in Maine has smoked fish without sugar -- but which ones escape me at the moment.  Their Kendall Brook Salmon comes to mind but I don't have any around at the moment.  Will try to snap a photo when I'm at the store next.

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, PJ15 said:

Does anyone know if the Portico brand smoked salmon from SYSCO has sugar in it? (I’m trying to find the ingredients list online and not having success)  TIA!

Have you tried to contact Sysco?  Given their ingredients aren't online, one risk of someone telling you it's fine (or not fine) on the internet is that the item that person can get in their own region/retail location is different formulation than what you can get in your region/retail location.

Archived