My 2 1/2 yr old is in a rage after eating sushi rice

Moluv

My kids had been whole30-ish (besides their ketchup habit) for about two weeks and I was so happy with how much happier they were. They are still rambunctious little boys- but no big tantrums or aggressiveness. That all changed last night when my husband (who is not w30) wanted to go eat sushi with his sister and niece. I didn't want to be a killjoy so I said yes- and also wanted to re-intro rice while he was around to see the fallout- he has been skeptical of the necessity of removing all grains (he is gf but eats rice/corn products on the regular). Sure enough, the baby complained of a stomach ache at bedtime and his belly was distended. This morning he has has wild mood swings, lots of crying and flew into a rage when he was told "no" (gently even), raising his scooter over his head and throwing it onto the floor. Crazy!! Later he got mad at a Lego car and when tried to comfort him he turned around and scratched me! This just breaks my heart. My six year old woke up with huge bags under his eyes (inflammation?) and has been pretty emotional all morning. I can't just pin this on the rice as they also had sugar in that sticky rice as well as soy sauce, but I do know the stress and anger I feel when I eat grains and we do share DNA.

The silver lining is that now my skeptical husband can see for himself the difference in the children's behavior and will hopefully be more curious as to why this is. He had been on board with feeding them whole 30 foods- but that is largely because I do all the shopping and cooking. But maybe seeing the positive changes in me and the kids will cause him to look a little deeper at his own food choices, maybe he will come to a grainfree choice as well.

Sorry such a long rant- just needed to vent and share.

ohmyGAWDthatissoooostressful!!!! I feel for ya. (My girls are nine now and I think I've kind of blanked out all the toddler tantrums - they were just so intense)

Here's hoping the li'l fellas feel better soon (and give mama a break). And here's to you doing Whole30 with your kiddoes! Awesome!

oh, no! those temper tantrums remind me of my boys...both of them get like that at times and mine are both going to be 6 years old in less than 2 months. hopefully, your husband will notice what a difference the grains and other foods make. i'm not having my boys do w30 with me fully, this time around, but over the summer i plan on it and i love reading about your experiences with it. hoping i'll have the positive behavior changes you had. ((hugs))

Archived