What's your favorite Whole30-compliant CURRY?

KC Sunshine

I eat big tubs of amazing super clean curry at our local international market ($2 a pint). Sometimes I use red,sometimes green. I use whatever veggies and meat I have, coconut milk, and cilantro stems and simmer, nom nom. Sliced sweet potatoes are amazing in curries. Everything's yummy with coconut milk and curry IMO :)

I'll third the Everyday Paleo recipe. I like things extra spicy so I add chipotle, cayenne, garlic, Thai seasoning, chili powder, crushed red pepper, and Chinese five spice.

I went to a Thai restaurant and their curry was not tasty, half the dish was rice, and it was way more expensive than what I can make.

This one: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-chicken-tikka-masala/#axzz2MVuKl3ga

I also sometimes use thai curry paste instead of the spices when I bake the chicken and switch up the spices slightly for a more thai-inspired curry. Great with sweet potatoes and zucchini in it. But seriously, if you are making curry, bake the chicken in coconut milk according to that recipe. It's amazing, tender, and flavorful.

I use this recipe: http://everydaypaleo...ai-green-curry/

You can use this as the template for red or green curry, and a variety of veggies. My rule is to put the 'hard' veggies in early, then add the 'soft' veggies later.

This is the one I used - came out fantastic, making it again this week. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

The only thing is I made a 4x5 times batch size of the recipe, and as a result the chicken wasn't cooked thoroughly in the time suggested. This time around, I'm only going to do the veggies, and I'll add protein in on a daily basis that's cooked fresh :)

• 1 year later...

I'm interested in the butter chicken recipe mentioned here, but I don't know who "Tom" is. Does anyone have a butter chicken curry recipe?

I made Tom's butter chicken for slowcooker recipe and loved it.
Thai green curry also good.

I have been eating a lot of curry for breakfast.

I start with green or red curry paste and add coconut milk and whatever veggies I can find.

Fast version: paste or random masala and coconut milk in pan, throw in any veg, add boiled eggs as protein.

More time: pieces of skinless chicken thighs, fish, chunks of slow cooker roast

Usually this starts with a bunch of frozen spinach or some greens that I cook down. Greens go in the pan once protein is cooked, unless it's frozen spinach as a starter.

If I have time, I add onion.

Combinations I have tried (just add protein):

-spinach and squash

-kale and onion

-spinach and green pepper

-cauliflower and spinach

-eggplant and ground beef with tomato

I have noticed that sometimes the creaminess is a bit much for me as I used to eat my curries with rice and sometimes bread and a bit of yoghurt. So sometimes I up the spice and reduce the coconut milk a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

I really love Tom's slow cooker pork & carrots curry recipe. I have made it several times - it's my favorite kind of recipe, dump everything in the slow cooker & go.

I made a little bag out of cheesecloth to hold the cloves & other "to be removed" spices. 

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2012/06/slow-cooker-pork-curry-and-carrots/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

http://everydaypaleo.com/red-or-green-thai-curry/

This is the recipe I use.holy god I will never pay for curry again. I also add some pineapple and make it extra spicy, freeze it, when I want it I just defrost it, sautée some frozen shrimp in ghee and garlic, and have an unbelievable quick meal. There is always some in my freezer.

Question for those who've tried the Everyday Paleo recipe! It sounds amazing and I want to try but I'm a little intimidated by the description of the "cracking the coconut" method. Is it difficult? How smoky are we talking? (I don't have a hood over my stove and there aren't any windows nearby to open!). I got worried when I read this comment on the recipe page: "I tried cracking the coconut and I started a 4 foot fire in my kitchen… What did I do wrong?"

Any advice and/or reassurance would be much appreciated! Thanks guys :)

Oh, also I see that recipe just says red or green curry. Mae Ploy has a yellow curry too. Anyone tried that? I can't imagine there's a reason the recipe would work for red or green but not yellow but if someone knows otherwise please holler!

This is a staple recipe I use and have cooked 3 times on my whole 45 thus far.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chicken-curry-with-sweet-potatoes-233843

So, so good.  It is milder than a Thai curry.

I have omitted the sugar called for in the recipe and simply subbed in a TB of coconut aminos.  I also often add a TB of fish sauce, 1 TB coconut aminos and a couple bay leaves to the curry powder and rub it into the chicken pieces and marinate overnight.

Finally, I buy bone in chicken thighs.  I cut the chicken off the bone and cube it.  I also cook the bones with the meat. The yumminess of simmering the bones with the rest of the curry makes the sauce AMAZING.  The bones will have chicken still clinging to it unless you are an excellent deboner and we eat every piece of meat off those thigh bones. When I marinate overnight, I also rub the curry powder/fish sauce/aminos/bay leaves onto the meaty bones.

• 4 weeks later...

I just made the curry sauce in the Whole30 book (page 230)..... so easy & so good! I had some leftover cauliflower rice, added some cubed, cooked chicken, poured the sauce over everything, and stirred it up. Then I stirred in some coconut cream just because I had a little left in a can. DELISH!

Question for those who've tried the Everyday Paleo recipe! It sounds amazing and I want to try but I'm a little intimidated by the description of the "cracking the coconut" method. Is it difficult? How smoky are we talking? (I don't have a hood over my stove and there aren't any windows nearby to open!). I got worried when I read this comment on the recipe page: "I tried cracking the coconut and I started a 4 foot fire in my kitchen… What did I do wrong?"

Any advice and/or reassurance would be much appreciated! Thanks guys :)

No replied to this but I've now made the Everyday Paleo recipe 2x and am happy to report back that cracking the coconut is not nearly as scary (or smoky) as I feared. I don't have a fan above my stove or a nearby window but I haven't really found it to be too smoky at all, and definitely no shooting flames as one poster (can't remember if it was here or in the comments of the recipe) reported. I made some adjustments the second time around and it came out much better than the first time but still a work in progress. I think I may pick up some birds eye chilis to add next time for some kick, as the curry paste gives it a lot less than I expected.

I use Thai Kitchen red or green curry pastes as a base (I've heard a lot of other brands mentioned, but I can find Thai Kitchen in just about any store) and then add my own spices to taste. My favorite is to use green curry paste as the base for the sauce and simmering the veggies, but then add a lot of my favorite curry powder blend to season the chicken or fish - the resultant sauce color (a yellow-brown with green undertones) is not always appetizing, but the flavor is amazing.

Archived