kayell's log

kayell

I'm tightening up a paleo diet, I've let some things creep in around the edges, and need to clean up thoroughly to discover the difference.

Day 1

Breakfast

3 pastured eggs cooked in coconut oil with

1/2 onion

chipotle powder

tomatoes

cilantro

dulse

salt

4oz pastured chicken liver (cooked w garlic and ghee IIRC - they were in the freezer)

coffee w coconut milk

Lunch

Leftovers from breakfast (It's hot and humid here today, hard to eat that much)

Arugula, lettuce, tomato, onion salad w EVOO & balsamic

Strawberries - probably the next to last bowl of the year. It's been a great year for local strawberries.

Unsweet tea all day long

Dinner

Nicoise salad minus the potatoes

Tuna, green beans, tomatoes, olives, egg, red onion, lettuce, arugula w lemon/evoo dressing

Leftover roast beets w evoo and wine vinegar

Strawberries

So hot! It's going to 100F tomorrow. Ugh.

Needed: substitute for Sriracha sauce - I can't believe it has sugar in it )-:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Carie,

It was a delicious breakfast. A bit too filling today, although it's pretty much my standard breakfast - 3 eggs, meat and veg, minus my favorite hot sauce. I'll be making up a batch of pico de gallo today - not at all the same, but should distract me from the call of sriracha.

The coconut milk in coffee is new - started getting used to it a few days ago. Not bad, just need to acclimate.

Yeah coconut milk in coffee took some getting use to. There are many different brands. I played around with different ones until I found one at Safeway (of all places) that is SUPER thick, creamy and delicious. I even drizzle it over berries now and then. So yummy!!!

Day 2 - assume all eggs, pork, poultry pastured, meat grass fed and fish wild unless mentioned. Makes it simpler.

Meal 1 (aka breakfast)

Burger patty

3 eggs scrambled with

coconut oil

swiss chard

hot pepper flakes

salt

coffee w coconut milk

Meal 2

Nicoise salad again, again without potatoes (was never fond of them anyway)

Strawberries - the truly next to last bowl. All are now cut up (and almost eaten - 1 small bowl for tonight). Unless the local farmers experience a miracle, no more until next year.

Meal 3

Salmon

Pico de Gallo - tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime, chipotle

1/2 Avocado

Strawberries - they were delicious. Farewell to the strawberry season, it was a great one.

I need more green leaves. Realized I haven't been cooking them with the heat. Leaves meet microwave tomorrow.

Time for the scary starting stats - the ones I forgot to measure before day 1.

Weight - 190 lbs

Neck - 14"

Bust - 44"

Chest - 38"

Waist - 40"

Hips - 43"

Thigh ® - 25"

Arm - (u r) - 15"

Damn, those are scary numbers. Now time to work on figuring out a progressive resistance schedule based on wimpy beginning.

No more measurements until July 25 (day before I fly to NM to meet new grandson to be!)

Ok, resistance beginning early tomorrow morning. Not today. Have I mentioned it's HOT!?

Frog squats - As many reps as I can handle, 2 sets (3 if I can)

Leg raises - Follow the CC progression 10 reps, 2 sets (3 if I can)

Push ups - Follow the CC progression 10 reps, 2 sets (3 if I can)

One arm dumbbell rows - gradually move up weight, 10 reps, 2 sets (3 if I can)

Resistance 3 days/week

Walk M-Sa early am

It's a plan, it's in public!

Day 3

Meal 1

2 Huge eggs cooked in ghee

Burger patty

Avocado

Radish kimchi

coffee w coconut milk - only 6 oz My taste for coffee wanes in hot weather. I wonder if I could quit for good? Usually the desire for it comes back in the fall.

Meal 2

Didn't really have one. I was so full from breakfast that I went off to the Asian market without lunch. Not the brightest thing to do, but I successfully avoided all temptations other than some mangoes and gourgeous huge fuyu persimmons (what were they doing around at this time of year?). And some raw cashews and some nori snacks that seem much like seasnacks sound, but with some not great oils. OMG it's nori crack. So I snacked,

Cashews - a small handful

Nori things - 2 packs with 12 tiny sheetlets each (Nori, corn oil (ew), olive oil, salt, sesame oil.) Great price, bad oil. Must make the nori snacks in Well Fed now.

Meal 3

Shrimp Salad - shrimp, avocado, tomato, orange pepper, cilantro, lettuce, arugula, lime juice, evoo

Broccoli w evoo and garlic

Cucumbers w onion and rice vinegar

Thunderstorm rolled through and dropped the temperature almost 20F. I'm going to have some hot chai and coconut milk to celebrate.

Exercise

No walk this morning - way too humid. I may go over to the *gasp* senior center this afternoon. It seems ridiculous that 55 is considered "senior" but it gives me access to the exercise machines for $25 a year. So a treadmill for bad weather.

1.25 miles on treadmill. Got to center late, got kicked out at closing.

Resistance

Frog squats - 12 x 2

Leg raises, knee tucks - 12x2

Push ups, wall - 12x2

One arm dumbbell rows, 5lbs - 12x2

My legs are much weaker than I thought. Form was awful on the squats and knee tucks. Will have to work on that, especially depth of squat before numbers. Arms were stronger than thought. I'll need to move to inclined pushups and 8 lb dumbbells with 3 sets Sunday.

Very low level compared to most people, but I've got to start from somewhere. I'll have a new starting point in 30 days.

Day 4

Off to the farmers market this morning.

Meal 1

Shrimp salad - leftover from last night. Love leftovers.

Coffee w coconut milk. Gussied it up by adding some cacao nibs and cinnamon to the brew basket. Pseudo Mexican chocolate goodness.

Meal 2

Shrimp salad again - ate up the rest of the left overs.

Meal 2b (Shrimp salad just didn't have enough staying power. Probably not enough avocado)

Burger patty

Pico de gallo

8 perfect sweet cherries

Meal 3

Sardines, broccoli, green beans, olives, capers, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic - all together in one big bowl

1/2 of a huge persimmon

Chai w coconut milk

Walk - 2 miles on bike trail

Day 5

I've been slacking on eating my greens. The key for me eating lots of greens is pre-prepping, either cooking ahead or washing, drying, slicing and dicing and storing in bags ready to grab a handful or three to throw in a pan. Did that yesterday. Let the seasoning begin.

Meal 1

2 really big but not huge eggs. I love the variation is farmers market eggs - size & color & even shape. Every carton is a surprise.

beef patty

dandelion greens seasoned with balsamic and pepper flakes

all above cooked in ghee

kimchi

1/2 persimmon remaining from last night

coffee w coconut milk

Meal 2 - eaten way too fast. Disaster has struck! The ancient fridge has died. I've got to run down to the next town for dry ice and find a fridge. I think almost everything will survive, but OMG. At the very least I've lost some frozen berries and salmon. D-; Update: lost some off plan salmon burgers, not the good Alaska salmon. Berries will be fine for berry/coconut ice cream in the future. Lost some of my housemates frozen dinners. Dry ice installed and hopefully a new fridge tomorrow.

Burger patty

beets

Pico de gallo

Meal 3

Salmon and shrimp curry - cooked in red palm oil with green beans, green onions, orange peppers, cilantro, basil, coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, ginger, lime

Cucumber salad w rice vinegar

Champagne mango

Exercise

Frog squats - 12x2 Regular squats 12x1 (better form, lots of work to do)

Leg raises, knee tucks - 12x3 (horrible form, may need a different crunch type exercise for now)

Push ups, inclined - 12x3

One arm dumbbell rows, 8lbs - 12x3 (need heavier dumbbells)

My mother was given a huge bag of fresh garden produce this morning. I now have far too many green beans, squash and even more beets. I soon will have a hydrator drawer completely devoted to beets! Along with the farmer's market and Asian market trip, I'm buried in vegetables. This will take some careful kitchen strategizing. Such a problem. *happy sigh*

Good news: The congestion I used to get after every meal (no matter what it contained) is GONE. *Snoopy dance*

Bad news: I've discovered 2 items I've eaten that had sugar in them. Grrrrrr. The radish kimchi. (the napa I ate today is ok). The fish sauce. I'm not going to reset because such tiny amounts. But, from here on out, if I don't think to check the label first and avoid the surprising places crud turns up, it will be my own fault. It doesn't matter if it's already in the house, I need to check. Should have known after the sriracha. Is there sugar in EVERYTHING outside the US?

Plan - check all the seasonings etc. in the cabinets and fridge. Either toss or send to the back any bad guys until after the W30 and reevaluate then.

Day 6

Woke up with headache, clinched jaw and congestion. IDEK No bad dreams to explain jaw. Jaw explains all else. Oh well, gone now. Might have been about the @$#%$#$^ fridge.

Meal 1

3 big eggs and dandelion greens cooked in ghee. Hot pepper flakes and balsamic on top.

Avocado, lime juice, 2 cashews

Coffee w coconut milk

I ate a couple of cashews (they are out of the freezer and on the counter until fridge replacement), realized that they would result in way, way to many cashews mindlessly eaten and went for the avocado w lime. Phew!

I'm a little worried that breakfast isn't as high protein as usual. I'll see how it holds until lunch.

Meal 2

Leftover salmon and shrimp curry

14 cherries (darn small hands)

Meal 3

Burger patty

Big lettuce salad w evoo and balsamic

Cucumber salad

Kimchi (the napa w no sugar)

A perfect local juicy peach mmmmmmm

Walked late 1/2 mile around block.

Had to do another run for dry ice. New fridge finally due to arrive tomorrow noonish.

Day 7

Meal 1

2 eggs (cooked 3 couldn't eat but 2)

Tostones - 1/2 plantain fried in coconut oil. mmmmm too many carbs, but sooo tasty. A rare treat. And the reason I only ate 2 eggs

Coffee w coconut milk

Meal 2 - this will be interesting. The fridge came, but I have to wait 3 hours to reload it. Everything is bundled up with dry ice in coolers and blankets. Going out to eat, with my goal being a small sirloin and broccoli. Probably will be cooked in bad oils though. Wish me luck.

Went to the Vietnamese place in town after I realized that the steak place uses seasonings that also undoubtedly use sugar. Had the Shaking Beef, no rice. Now have to decide whether to reset days.

Shaking Beef - beef, tomatoes, onions, watercress, lime. Sauce/marinade undoubtedly included some sugar, fish sauce, lime, unknown oil for cooking and ?"

Reset to day 1 as of tomorrow AM. Checked calendar and I still have 30 days left before 7/26 when I head to New Mexico for a week. Since I intended to Whole30 until then anyway, it's all good. I'm resetting. It's better that I build the accountability. More here: http://forum.whole9l...opic/884-reset/ I feel a little whiny about it all.

Saw Tom Denham's post talking about eating @3% non Whole30 when not doing an actual W30. With the 3% being only while out at restaurants and friends, but totally clean at home. That's seems like an ideal situation and one to go for eventually. In the meantime though, I really need to do the full, clean program. So no tricking myself, no excuses. Onwards.

Snack/Meal3

4:00 - ate up the leftover Shaking Beef. I haven't felt driven to eat something this much since 1st day one. Definitely triggery. Looked up some recipes, and that dish could easily have contained a couple of teaspoons of sugar. Asian seasonings in restaurants can be dangerous. At home I can eliminate the sweet and add extra lime or pepper heat to compensate. Live and learn and learn some more.

Off to refill the new sparkling gorgeous sexy fridge.

Exercise:

Frog squats - 12x3

Leg raises, knee tucks - 12x3

Push ups, inclined - 12x3

One arm dumbbell rows, 8lbs - 12x3 (need heavier dumbbells)

Unloading and reloading refrigerator/freezer
:)

Walk 1/2 mile around the block

Last meal

burger patty

large lettuce, tomato, onion salad w evoo and balsamic

14 cherries

A New Day 1

Woke up with some old symptoms back - headache, congestion, runny aching eyes. Could the amount of sugar in the shaking beef dish have done it. Did the sugars in the plantain contribute? That's my suspicion. Looking at my log, I had a headache and congestion on (previous) day 6 after eating a (very sugary) champagne mango the night before. With hind sight it looks like creeping crawling sugars. Sneaky devils. So, NO screwing around with sugars. NO high sugar, high starch foods for me. They may be W30 ok, but they don't do me any good, just milder versions of the sugar in the shaking beef that is probably the culprit in the horrible headache. Ow. Remember this. OW!

Goals:

Get more control over my food choices and relationship with food.

Issues: insulin resistance, pre-diabetes, headaches, congestion, depression/anxiety.

Stop being a snot thinking I just need minor fine tuning because I have found the paleo light. I need to follow my own journey, and work on judging and making my own choices, not anyone elses.

I obviously couldn't do calendar math yesterday when I thought I had a full 30 days pre-travel to NM. I'm going to do the full 30 anyway with the last day going to be a challenge with a long flight/day. So, planning ahead.

Day 1

Meal 1

L
eggs cooked in red palm oil*

pulled
L
pork

kimchi

coffee w coconut milk

*from Ghana, not from Southeast Asia. This is important for environmental and economic (corporate plantations) reasons.

I'm going to start labeling
local
as
L
for my own tracking and to help me increase the local food. Local in this case being less than 125 miles (the measure my farmers market uses).

Near miss - got down pack of Italian sausage (from one of my favorite pastured pork farmers), started thawing. Wait, STOP! Checked label. Turbinado
sugar
was the third ingredient! Threw into back of freezer.

Meal 2

Great
big
huge salad -
L
Lettuce,
L
tomato,
L
onion, avocado,
L
pulled pork, olives, evoo, balsamic

L
cherries

I didn't get to meal 2 until 4:30. Meal 1 kept me completely full until then. Piles of fat in the pulled pork, very very low carbs, plenty of protein. I don't know whether eating only 2 meals is ok, but I don't think it would have been ideal to eat when not hungry. I know I'm not going to eat again tonight - too full. Maybe some chai w coconut milk while it's still somewhat cool. Tomorrow and the next 10 days back up to the high 90sF and probably break 100F.

Walk 1/2 mile around the block

Snack: Nori snacks

Day 2

Walk: 1 mile

Meal 1

L
Burger patty

2 medium
L
eggs cooked in red palm oil with

L
Chard, green onions, jalapeno

1/2 avocado

Coffee w coconut milk

Very filling, I suspect it may be quite a while until I'm hungry. Is eating less often a problem if you aren't hungry? The days that I eat like this seem to have less mood changes.

Meal 2

Great big huge salad - L Lettuce, L tomato, L onion, avocado, L pulled pork, olives, evoo, balsamic

L peach

Meal 3

Arugula, spinach, L ground beef, evoo, balsamic

L Raw grated beets, L carrot, L onion, sesame oil, rice vinegar

14 L cherries

1/2 mile walk

Day 3

Walk: @1.5 mile in the disgusting heat and humidity downtown. Running around on errands up and down hills. How can it be this hot at 8-10 AM? Bleh.

Meal 1

Three
L
eggs cooked in ghee with
L
onions and kimchi

Arugula, spinach and
L
ground beef w evoo and balsamic left from last night

Iced cold brewed coffee with coconut milk. Delicious.

Meal 2

L
Red lettuce, grated
L
beets and
L
carrots,
L
onion,
L
ground beef, vinegar, evoo

L
Peach

Exercise

1x12 squats - knees hurting, no more today

5x12 low on the wall pushups - desktop on Sunday

5x12
One arm dumbbell rows, 8lbs (MUST go get some heavier dumbbells)

Not happy with the crunch like leg lifts. Need to add some presses and pull downs instead. Need to get the pull up bar up for assisted pull ups.

Concentrate on squats & walking for lower body. Moving my legs moves a lot of weight.

Meal 3

L
Red lettuce, canned clams,
L
tomato,
L
onion, avocado, capers, evoo, balsamic (not a successful combo)

half a Korean sweet potato w ghee (much sweeter than I remembered)

New evening tea - iced chai w coconut milk. Added a bit of turmeric to the coconut milk in glass before adding cold chai and ice. Interesting, I think I like it. Easy way to get turmeric.

My grandchild Dillon was born 50 minutes ago at 3:16 Mountain Standard Time!

Dillon, Mom, Dad and Sister are all doing fine, although crying a bit over the phone. Family sobfest time.

I can't stop smiling. I'll be flying out to NM in late July to meet Dillon and see the whole family for a week. Haven't seen daughter and granddaughter since Christmas. It's SO far. They're keeping me supplied with lots of photos.

Really have to get prepped to deal with the altitude change. They're in the high desert near Albuquerque.

Day 4

Meal 1 (eaten late, not good)

Leftover weird salad from last night, healthy but not tasty

L Beet and L carrot salad (eating leftover dabs to open fridge space)

Coffee w coconut milk

Meal 2

Big Assed Salad - L Bibb lettuce, L arugula, L ground beef, L grated carrot, L white cucumber (sweet, mild, extra crunchy!), L onion, L tomato, L parsley, evoo, balsamic

L Cherries

Coconut flakes - realized soon after eating I hadn't had enough fat. Not my favorite, but kept me from the tempting nuts

Meal 3

Big Assed Salad returns- L Bibb lettuce, L arugula, L ground beef, L grated carrot, L white cucumber, L onion, L tomato, L parsley, evoo, balsamic Added 1/2 an avocado and some olives

Small amount of the Korean sweet potato, mashed with ghee

Iced chai with coconut milk and turmeric. Definitely liking it.

No walking today in the heat, other than tiny bit at farmers market. Must do early tomorrow am.

Day 5

Woke up late, so no walk. Too damn hot.

Meal 1

3 L eggs, scrambled in red palm oil with L onion, L chard, L pork loin from freezer. L Salsa on top. Misguidedly added some dulse. Not a good flavor combo. Must be reasonably cautious with the experimenting.

Small amount Korean sweet potato mash with ghee. Comfort for my taste buds.

Coffee w coconut milk. Added some turmeric. Immediate reaction - not going to bother again. By end of glass it was growing on me. Worth another trial.

Meal 2

Great big salad - L lettuce, L arugula, tuna, L tomatoes, red peppers, olives, evoo, lemon juice, garlic

L Cherries

Meal 3

Eggs, pork loin, onions, salsa, coconut oil

Korean sweet potatoes w ghee

Tired today. Too hot? Went out in the afternoon and got a pair of 15 lb dumbbells. The smaller sizes had smooth center bars, so didn't like them and skipped the 10 & 12 lbs. Crappy selection on dumbbell bars and weights. I wanted the really quite nice kettlebells, but they were too high. Putting on my wish list.

Day 6 - Very sleepy. Heat? Not walking? Not enough sun? Day 6?

Meal 1

Lettuce, arugula, avocado, ground beef, evoo, balsamic, salsa

Korean sweet potato w ghee

Coffee w coconut milk

Resistance

Squats - 6x12

Push ups, buffet (a bit higher than desk) - 3x12

Single arm rows, 15 lbs - 3x10

Overhead dumbbell press, 5 lbs - 3x10

Meal 2

Lettuce, arugula, avocado, ground beef, evoo, balsamic, salsa

Peach

Meal 3

Bay scallops w garlic, lemon juice, parsley cooked w
butter
(ghee, duh, it came out of a jar and was soft!) and olive oil

Arugula

Yellow squash, green beans, onions, tomatoes, garlic, basil cooked in olive oil

Cherries

Day 7

Meal 1

3 eggs cooked w coconut oil

arugula

Kimchi

coffee w coconut milk

Not as hungry this morning, couldn't finish above breakfast, even with no meat. A bit sore from yesterday - exercise effect? Burning fat more efficiently?

Out of ghee, must make more.

Meal 2

Bay scallops w garlic, lemon juice, parsley cooked w ghee and olive oil

Arugula

Yellow squash, green beans, onions, tomatoes, garlic, basil cooked in olive oil

Okinawan sweet potatoes mashed with coconut milk
PURPLE!
Very, Very PURPLE
and tasty too.

Breakfast not big enough + too big serving of
PURPLE
mashed SPs at meal 2 = hungry at 4pm. Egads.

Snack

nori snacks

roast beef w olive oil

kimchi

Weird snack is weird

Archived