kayell

Day 8

Meal 1

3 eggs scrambled w ghee

kimchi

roast beef

lettuce w evoo and balsamic

Meal 2

Shrimp sort of curry - shrimp, garlic scapes, carrot, red bell pepper, green onions, basil, cilantro, coconut oil, coconut milk, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, sesame oil, turmeric, hot pepper flakes, lime

Purple mashed sweet potatoes w coconut milk

I'm off to festivities out of town, with dinner out at a restaurant w family. Somehow the easy to navigate picnic got killed. :-( I've checked the menus of the likely places and it looks like I can work with it, carefully. (I have an emergency bag too) Wish me luck.

Meal 3

Spinach salad with bacon and grilled shrimp - passed on the bacon dressing full of sugar. Came with unexpected breaded onion fry crumbs - shoveled off as carefully as possible. Red onions, tomatoes, evoo, balsamic

Coffee, black for dessert to fuel late firework viewing. Didn't interfere with sleep fortunately. In bed at 11, up at 7. Had a great time, under some trees by the lake with a wonderful view.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 9

Meal 1 - out at a diner on the way back home

3 egg omelet with smoked salmon, onions, tomatoes and capers. Had requested no cream cheese that was listed in omelet, but it came stirred in. Had to send back for replacement. Our waitress was very nice about the replacement. I just told her I couldn't have dairy, no explanations.

Coffee, black. I'm not fond of plain black, but it's not as awful as I remembered, and much easier than hauling coconut milk around.

This time I successfully made it through the restaurant problem. No reset needed. :-)

Meal 2

Shrimp sort of curry - shrimp, garlic scapes, carrot, red bell pepper, green onions, basil, cilantro, coconut oil, coconut milk, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, sesame oil, turmeric, hot pepper flakes, lime

Meal 3

Big salad - Lettuce, arugula, roast beef, avocado, salsa, evoo, balsamic

Cherries

Chai w coconut milk

Walk 1.5 mile

Day 10

Meal 1

roast beef w mustard

cantaloupe

coffee w coconut milk

Meal 2

roast beef w mustard

green beans, yellow squash, onions and tomato

cucumber, onion, tomato salad w evoo & red wine vinegar

cherries

99F today, 100F tomorrow, 99F on Sunday. Ewwwwww, whiiiiiinnnnnnne. My uncle called from Maine this AM and gloated about the low temps there. It's hard to eat at this temperature. I don't want much, and I really only want to sit around and eat fruit.

Exercise

Walk 1.25 Miles

Resistance

Squats - 3x12

Push ups, buffet - 3x12

Single arm rows, 15 lbs - 3x12

Overhead dumbbell press, 5 lbs - 3x12 (time for the 8s)

Meal 3

roast beef w mustard

cucumber, onion, tomato salad w evoo & red wine vinegar

cherries

cashews

chai w coconut milk & turmeric

Day 11

coffee w coconut milk iced

Farmer's market 8 am. Back at 8:50 (got chatty) 81F, 100F heat index!!! Sky ugly pale yellow gray at horizon. I really just want to lay around and drink iced tea all day.

Meal 1

cold roast beef

horseradish

cucumber salad w tomatoes, onion, evoo and wine vinegar

cantaloupe

Meal 1b - ate up what I couldn't eat earlier because of heat.

cold roast beef

horseradish

cucumber salad w tomatoes, onion, evoo and wine vinegar

Meal 2

Arugula, roast beef, evoo, balsamic salad

cherries

Meal 3

Shrimp salad - shrimp, coconut milk, ginger, lime, green onion, yellow bell pepper, peaches, toasted coconut, chopped cashews, red onion

Green salad w evoo & balsamic

Cucumber salad w rice vinegar

Purple sweet potato w coconut milk

Your meals sound delish!

I'm with you on the heat. We've got it here in Atlanta as well, although not as bad this weekend as last. Just humid and uncomfortable and makes you not want to do anything except lie under a fan and drink iced tea.

I need to remember horseradish and capers more - I have both in my fridge and I tend to forget they're there.

Day 12

Meal 1

Roast beef w horseradish

yellow squash, green beans, tomatoes, onions, evoo, garlic, basil

coffee w coconut milk

Meal 2

Shrimp salad from yesterday

beet and carrot salad w garlic, evoo, lemon juice

peach

Chai w coconut milk

Endless glasses of iced black and green tea

Snack

roast beef w horseradish

cashews

I don't know whether I'm feeling hungry more often because of too much fruit or because my serving sizes have been smaller with the heat. Which has finally broken with a drop of 20F in the last hour, and 80~F degree days on the way. YAY!

Meal 3

Sandwich steak (real steak sliced really thin, not those processed things) cooked in ghee

Arugula, evoo, balsamic

Purple sweet potato, ghee

Kara, thanks. Shrimp salad is one of those lovely things you can make without any actual cooking so long as you have frozen cooked shrimp. The heat finally broke last night, so I will be able to stand cooking again. Hope we have a better summer for the rest of it. 11 days in a row above 90F with all but two 95F and up about broke me.

Day 13

Meal 1

Eggs, sandwich steak cooked in ghee, salsa

Coffee w coconut milk

Meal 2

Eggs , sandwich steak cooked in ghee, salsa

Cantaloupe

Meal 3

Sandwich steak on green salad w tomatoes, onion, evoo, balsamic

Beet/carrot salad

Cucumber salad

Chai w coconut milk

Day 14 - Finally I'm feeling better today. Yesterday I basically collapsed, I guess from the after effects of the prolonged hot spell. Read that it hit 113 in SC & GA during the heat, possibly setting all time state records, and that the last 12 months hit the record for highest overall temps for the continental US in recorded weather history. (there's a rant in there, but this isn't the right board)

Meal 1 - being able to cook a little is lovely

2 eggs, burger patty cooked in ghee

arugula

peach

coffee w coconut milk (I really need to train myself to black)

Resistance - really quite ragged, too many days since last

Squats - 1x8 2x12 (first set deeper than has been)

Push ups, buffet - 3x12 barely

Single arm rows, 15 lbs - 3x12 barely

Overhead dumbbell press, 5 lbs - 3x12 (
time for the 8s
)

Knee arm planks - 80 seconds, 60, 40

Bridges - 80, 60, 60

Meal 2

Salmon patties - canned salmon, green onion, almond flour, eggs, mustard, lemon cooked in coconut oil

Green salad w evoo, balsamic

Beet/carrot salad

Cucumber red onion salad

Sliced tomatoes w basil

Walk 1.5 miles

Snack (damnit, there's no reason I should have been hungry enough to eat this)

Burger patty w horseradish

Cashews - 2 closed handfuls

Meal 3

Salmon patty, cucumber salad

Snack

2 closed handfuls cashews

This snacking thing must stop NOW!

Day 15

Meal 1

Eggs cooked in ghee, sandwich steak, arugula

coffee w coconut milk

I'm going to skip the fruit today, see if that helps with the urge I'm developing to snack. Burying the cashews in the farthest deepest part of the freezer. I have some cold brew coffee making, since the mellow flavor is easier for me to drink black. Much as I love coconut milk, it seems like I'm doing too much drinking calories by having it in both coffee and chai.

Walk - 1 mile

Meal 2

Small steak

Broccoli w evoo and garlic

Meal 3

Pulled pork w salsa verde

Green salad, evoo, balsamic

small peach w blueberries

Clearly didn't skip the fruit, but waited until dinner. I think that fruit only with dinner is a workable plan along with eliminating the nuts and cutting the coconut milk in beverages. Cold brewed coffee ready for the am.

Day 16! 50% Done!!!

Meal 1

Pulled pork, salsa verde, extra hot sauce

Purple sweet potato w ghee

Black
coffee

Walk - 2.7 miles with en route snacklet of wild wineberries*. Yummy and highly motivating to keep moving to find more.

Meal 2

Seafood stew - Shrimp, bay scallops, ghee, onions, garlic, tomatoes, carrots, yellow bell pepper, flat leaf parsley, thyme, evoo, wine vinegar

Green salad w evoo & balsamic

Snack (argh)

Nori snack things

chicharrones *hangs head in shame*

Meal 3

Seafood stew

Chai w coconut milk & turmeric

Day 17

Pitched the chicharrones. They may have been compliant - no banned ingredients - but they were hardly a good idea. ICK What was I thinking? :wacko:

Meal 1

2 eggs cooked in red palm oil, lots of hot sauce (Frank's is ok)

pulled pork w salsa verde

sauerkraut*

black coffee

I went to the Asian market yesterday to pick up a load of coconut milk, sweet potatoes, turmeric and other yummy things. I also wanted more kimchi rather desperately and this Korean run market always has a whole chilled case full of different kinds. They were OUT of kimchi! Moved it to open up room for the bakery expansion, and then had supplier miss a delivery. Dang. Got some Bubbie's sauerkraut, but it's just not kimchi. :(

Meal 2

Large green salad with canned tuna, red onion, evoo & balsamic

Sea snax chipotle

1/2 of the first ripe apricot - Now I'm staring at the rest, willing them to ripen.

Rushed lunch. I was out shopping and got back late. Hopefully I ate enough. It's not my favorite meal, but it can be made in a minute, so good when crazy hungry. If it wasn't big enough, repeat with the rest of the tuna for a snack. Amazingly, it was enough.

Meal 3

Salmon cooked in coconut oil, lemon

Green salad, evoo, balsamic

@1/4 of a Korean sweet potato w ghee

peach

Later

Chai w coconut milk and turmeric

Day 18

I'm feeling really great about this journey. My mood is up, I'm feeling stronger. There's lots of things to improve, but there's lots to discover along any journey's route. If there weren't it would be damn boring. I'll be in NM for just over a week starting the end of this W30, but I'll be starting another one on August 4th.

I think I just reached cruising altitude!

Meal 1

Burger patty

Swiss chard cooked in ghee w garlic

Kimchi (managed to find some yesterday!)

Black coffee

As always endless glasses of pretty weak iced green and black tea all day

Resistance

Pushups, buffet - 3x12 deeper

Squats - 3x12 (with a handhold for steadiness, made it down to 12" from ground each rep!)

One arm rows, 15 lbs - 3x12 Time to go slower

Overhead press 8 lbs - 2x8, 1x10 Moved up in weight

Planks, knee/arm - 100 seconds, 80, 90

Bridges, shoulders/feet - 100, 80, 100

I'm very sweaty but feeling good that the numbers and form are improving. Baby steps lead to a lifetime of walking and running (or in my case, some mountain hiking. Running, ick.)

Meal 2

Salad - canned tuna, lettuces, radicchio, cucumber, red onion, black olives, evoo, balsamic

2 apricots, coconut milk, cinnamon

Meal 3

Pork sausage (homemade/no sugar) - Recipe too strong on sage, will adjust next time.

Chard cooked in sausage fat

1/4 Korean sweet potato w ghee

Chai w coconut milk & turmeric

Day 19 aka some days are better than others

Went to bed too late last night, woke up too early this morning, didn't eat until 2+ hours later, skipped my planned early walk, and sat around in a dead stupor most of the day so far. Errors 1, 2, 3, 4

Meal 1

Egg, sausage (no sugar), spinach block (no muffin pan) Error 5 - should have eaten at least 2 of these.

Black coffee

Snack

Burger patty

Egg, sausage, spinach block Error 6 - should have stopped there ... or there ^. Error 7 - listened to cravings

Peach, blueberries, coconut milk (a HUGE quantity of coconut milk)

Lunch

Chicken thighs on spinach and red onion salad w sesame oil, coconut aminos (IMO not worth the price. I'll just use fish sauce) & rice vinegar

Every last bit of solidified coconut milk that I could scrape out of the container OMG, I don't feel so good. Duh!

Yep, it's all a learning experience.

To Dos

• Set bed time, and get there on time. For some reason I get the right amount of sleep when I go to bed at a certain time.
  • Eat breakfast on time. An early breakfast is important for me.
  • Eat enough breakfast.
  • Commit to that early walk, even if it's so hot/humid it has to be short. I need that early morning sun and walk for moods and to get moving.
  • Give my self time to see if hunger has been sated. Eat something sensible if it hasn't. Do something other than eat if it has.
  • Don't gorge on otherwise healthy foods. Coconut milk is delicious, but it can be used in bad ways. Eating it straight is one of those.
  • Remember that chicken is disgusting, even pastured chicken and don't buy it again.
  • Log after every meal so I can see the weirdness before it get weirder.

That is all for now. Urp.

Meal 3

Stir fry - Shrimp, king oyster mushrooms, snap peas, onion, garlic, ginger, coconut aminos, sesame oil, coconut oil

2 tiny apricots

Biggest take home message of today - don't short on sleep. It leads to all kinds of difficulties and crazy feelings.

Day 20

Walked around block - hot and humid today, so I'll probably hit the treadmill later. Working on gently persuading my mother to do weights with me. She's very resistant, even though she knows she needs to intellectually. She used to do them at PT, but really hasn't since. I'm not sure what the block is. Her body, her life, but my brothers and I really don't want her to become frail.

Meal 1

2 egg, sausage, spinach squares

black coffee

An avocado is finally ripe, so if 2 squares isn't enough, I'll eat half of that later.

Snack (3 egg squares in future or go back to my older breakfasts)

Small bowl of last nights stir fry

1/2 avocado. lime juice, hot sauce

Meal 2

Leftover shrimp stir fry

Green salad w cucumbers, tomato, red onions, avocado, evoo, balsamic

Mashed sweet potato, ghee

Meal 3

2 burger patties

Kimchi

Day 21

Meal 1 - Back to the big meal 1 that works for me.

3 eggs

big heap of spinach cooked in ghee

kimchi

1/2 small Korean melon - This was new to me, and quite tasty. I'll get them again, but eat later in the day.

coffee w coconut milk

Meal 2

Salmon cooked in coconut oil, lemon

snap peas w sesame oil and fresh ginger

sweet potatoes w ghee

Meal 3 (really odd meal IDEK)

3 homemade pork sausages

bubbie's sauerkraut

1/2 avocado w hot sauce

2 apricots w coconut milk

Day 22 - Weird timing on eating. Hot, muggy weather contributing.

Meal 1

2.5 egg. sausage, spinach squares

coffee w coconut milk

Snack

.5 egg+ square

a bit of left over egg, spinach and kimchi from yesterday

Snack at noon

Purple sweet potato w ghee

Meal 2 - 2:30

2 burger patties

snap peas w sesame oil and ginger

Meal 3

Shrimp salad - shrimp, avocado, lime juice, red pepper, onion, cucumber, evoo, garlic, chipotle

wheelertrio Egg squares are just egg muffins cooked in a rectangular pan and cut into squares. They are made that way because I don't own a muffin pan. This batch were a little less than a pound of cooked loose sausage (check the label for sugar, I just seasoned ground pork), cooked, very thoroughly drained chopped spinach (1/2 lb fresh to start) and 12 eggs. Mix and bake in greased pan for @ 20 minutes at 350F. You can put anything you want in egg muffins or squares - red peppers, bacon (check the label), onions, ... anything you'd like.

Derval, I must try the eggs with sweet potatoes and sausage. It sounds wonderful!

Day 23

Meal 1

3 eggs cooked with ginger, onion, hot pepper, sesame seeds

kimchi

chicken liver

coffee w coconut milk

Meal 2

Shrimp salad - shrimp, avocado, lime juice, red pepper, onion, cucumber, evoo, garlic, chipotle

Cherries

Meal 3

Salad - spring mix, ground beef, avocado, tomato, onion, salsa verde, hot pepper flakes, balsamic

Cherries

Day 24

Meal 1

2 egg sausage spinach squares

1 chicken liver

a little bit of leftover last nights salad

kimchi

coffee w coconut milk

Meal 2 (my meals fell apart today)

roast beef

horseradish

Meal 3

roast beef w horseradish

purple sweet potato w ghee

chai w coconut milk and turmeric

Felt kind of blue and off today. Eat real meals tomorrow.

Day 25

Meal 1

4 eggs in ghee

kimchi

morning thunder tea

Meal 2

roast beef w horseradish

broccoli w garlic, evoo and lemon

green salad w tomato, avocado, evoo and balsamic

Meal 3

ground beef, tomatoes, onion

cherries