Help me! I'm getting saturated with meat and veggies!

eav123

Hello everyone. I'm on day 8 of my Whole30 journey. I am finding it very, very difficult and am feeling like what I would imagine an alcoholic feels at the thought of downing a nice, cold beer: utterly horrible cravings. I know this will pass, and I haven't succumbed to the delicious idea of a grilled cheese sandwich, or sinking my teeth into a nice bowl of mac n cheese (Oh God that sounds good), but the scary thing is that I'm starting to feel an aversion to eggs, meat, and vegetables because of the monotony of eating the same foods. There are only so many ways to prepare an omelette. There are only so many ways to bake vegetables. There are only so many ways to eat a salad. I'm getting FULL of vegetables and meat, and am finding that no matter how nutritionally "full" I am of the proper nutrients, I'm feeling SO empty of the textures I crave. Anyone else ever go through this? I fear I'm developing an unhealthy aversion to things I once loved; eggs, veggies, chicken--because I've been eating them SO MUCH. I'm afraid I might cave in. Help!

sorry, but you are just going to have to expand your mind a little bit here: there are litterally millions of preparations of vegetables and meat that would be whole30 approved. millions.

start searching for recipes. nom nom paleo and well fed (the clothes make the girl) are two great places to start.

Along with Missmary's suggestions, Tom Denham (one of the moderators here) has something like 400 recipes that are 100% W30 approved. I'd link his site but I'm on Tapatalk so I can't. Just find one of his posts..the link is in his siggy.

That seems perfectly reasonable on day 8 to me. Stick with the meal map template for the duration of the whole 30, and I think you will be singing a different tune. Your body chemistry will change and make the food you are eating more and more enjoyable (heck, I'm hardly using spices anymore because I love the natural flavors of my food) and the food you are avoiding less and less desirable.

that little voice in your head whispering how you just can't handle another meat and veggie filled dinner is no different than the sugar dragon, wine dragon, chocolate dragon, etc. dragon that we've all had to face-on multiple occasions. There is a reason they say old habits die hard, it's true. The old habits are trying hard to push you back into the old eating routines. Just take a deep breath and do some quick whole 30 searching on pinterest, the clothes make the girl or nom nom paleo, you are bound to get some much needed inspriration.

Yes to everything already said. Those feelings are just the sugar dragon trying to sway you. Your are stronger than this. I can't say enough good things about Well Fed. There are SO many good recipes in there. It's impossible to be bored with what your are eating. The spices and combinations of foods are amazing! I'm about to embark on another whole30 and will be trying two new (to me) recipes this week. You can do it!

• Moderators

Thankfully, I like cooking. Doing a Whole30 was a good reason for me to begin cooking again. I got excited about all the different things I could do with meat and veggies. I don't publish recipes as busily as I once did, but I think I could publish a new recipe/meal every day. You just have to start looking at the possibilities.

And because we are having this little talk, I am going to break my dry spell of publishing and finish writing up Chipotle Chicken, Peppers, and Onions in Coconut Milk over Wilted Greens. I swear I will publish it before going to bed on Sunday, March 3, 2013...

And because we are having this little talk, I am going to break my dry spell of publishing and finish writing up Chipotle Chicken, Peppers, and Onions in Coconut Milk over Wilted Greens. I swear I will publish it before going to bed on Sunday, March 3, 2013...

I am SO going to hold you to this. :)

You know, it occurs to me to wonder if you are eating enough starchy foods. I don't think this eating plan is designed to be low carb, though for those of us who think of carbs as only existing in grains, it might feel that way. There is the mental part of the adjustment, sure - and it can be a really tough thing. But you might look at what you've been eating and see if you are including things like squashes and sweet potatoes in your meals.

Although you won't find a mac and cheese recipe in the book Well Fed, it's such a great resource that I can't recommend it enough. Even if you don't cook directly from it, you'll find that you can use the ideas as inspiration, and you can truly feel well fed (see how neatly I did that?).

Hang in there!

I agree with the post above regarding sweet potatoes and squash. I am on day 14. I eat some sweet potatoes every day. I also use ground beef, pork, lamb, and turkey to make the skillet dinners. I also eat fish. I have been an emotional eater for 40 years and have responded by eating starchy, sugary foods. I have not had a sugar craving since I began Whole30 which I attribute to eating sweet potatoes. In fact, I've wondered if I've been eating too many sweet potatoes!

I can't thank everyone enough for giving me ideas. I did try something different tonight (failed): pumpkin almond pancakes. They were....crumbly and bland. I just need to delve into these recipes you've all pointed me to, and spend some time in the kitchen. Thanks for the recipes, words of wisdom, and encouragement. I will not succumb to my mac n cheese wet dream, but it's hard. I don't think I'm eating enough starches, like someone said. I do think I'm experiencing a wicked carb flu though, so hopefully this will pass soon. But, again, thanks everyone. :rolleyes:

I made the Salmon Cakes that are in ISWF the other night-I was pleasantly surprised how much we both liked them! I added some diced celery and red onion along with the scallions. I served them with a roasted red pepper aioli (made with home made mayo, of course). They were really tasty! :)

Don't try to recreate " Paleo pancakes " or anything like it.... 1st it's a no no for w30, 2nd it's not going to satisfy.

You have come to a barrier .... Your mind does not want to accept that your body is healing and feeling better. Your mind does not want to accept that your are eating nutrient rich foods and your hormones are correcting.

Guess what.... You probably aren't hungry all the time like you were pre w30 because your body is getting what it needs and you aren't getting a cascade of insulin triggered signals telling you you are starving when you aren't .

Push through the barrier.... You will soon see food as fuel and your mind will no longer " morn the loss" of Mac and cheese. In my case 30 days was not long enough for this to happen ( can't undo a lifetime of poor habits in a month) but happen it will

Accept that you are getting healthier with each meal, not digging your own grave with meaningless " comfort foods" , and you will look forward to greens and eggs...

Ohhh.... Chili peppers and bacon make everything better!!!! :) :) :)

Archived