Hi there!

Stephc

I am starting my first Whole 30 today. I want to eliminate the eczema that threatens to take over my torso, drop some weight, and reclaim my athlete days. All of this, of course, will not happen overnight. Right now I'm just going to concentrate on the food. I am a chocoholic and am going to have to find something else to eat. lol. I am so thankful I do not have to give up my sparkling water!

I am a 37 year old wife to a great man and mom to our seven little ones. We homeschool and I breastfeed two of my children, which means that yes, I generally have no time to myself, and doing anything that is primarily for me is not easy. I am also one year out from an achilles tendon rupture, after which I gained 30 lbs from not being able to workout like I used to, and probably some depression in there too. My injured leg is still shaped differently and is very weak. I hope to correct that.

So even though I am afraid I'm going to fail miserably at this, I'm giving it a go. Being a long time follower of the traditional foods movement (Weston A Price), I already love whole foods, so really the only problem will be the quick shot of sugar I get when it's hard to find the time to eat an actual meal.

I look forward to meeting you all! :)

Best wishes and good luck with the program. I'm on Day 11, and if I can make it this far anybody can (I was a nutritional mess). The Achilles injury is a tough one that takes a considerable amount of time to recover from. I popped mine playing tennis in '06. It took me a year to learn to walk without a limp. I stuck with the physical therapy and kept rehabbing it. In '08, I was back playing tennis again on a competitive team that finished 2nd in the ALTA city finals. Now I still occasionally get some swelling, but I've got no pain and have a full range of motion.

Hi Steph,

First of all - don't fret about failing miserably. You can't fail. This isn't a test. It's an experiment. Experiments don't fail, they just may not get significant results the first time round, for any number of reasons. Perhaps enough variables were not controlled, perhaps the hypotheses were not clearly stated, etc etc. (Can you tell that I'm a behavioural therapist and Psych student? ;) )

Cocoa powder could be your chocolate substitute to wean you off the sweet stuff, but try not to abuse it. If you had foods that you were completely and utterly addicted to (like chocolate), instead of trying to find Whole30 substitutes, rather find a whole new food. Fill up on good fats (I cannot speak highly enough about coconut oil), meats (there are so many too choose from - fish, poultry, beef, lamb, game - the list goes on), and veg. As a Mom, with limited time, you'll come to appreciate how much simpler and quicker your mealtimes are when you're eating on the Whole30.

Best of luck!

First of all - don't fret about failing miserably. You can't fail. This isn't a test. It's an experiment. Experiments don't fail, they just may not get significant results the first time round, for any number of reasons. Perhaps enough variables were not controlled, perhaps the hypotheses were not clearly stated, etc etc. (Can you tell that I'm a behavioural therapist and Psych student? ;) )

This is just amaaaazing advice. Thank you for this!

Thanks for the welcome, all!

Jason , glad to see the significant recovery Is possible. I had to quit physical therapy after 6 weeks because my husband had to leave for a month. It took me a good 7 months to walk without a limp and I still sometimes do in the morning when I first get out of bed. Congrats on your competition level fitness after injury!

Wholehealth,

Thanks for the advice! Lol, yes, you do sound a lot like my biology and psychology profs (I'm in school too). That's a good way to look at it, as an experiment.

So what would I put cocoa powder in? That stuff is NOT ok on it's own. Lol! I would like to give it up altogether like I did with soda 5 years ago. But chocolate is something I'd probably like to keep around as a special treat. And yes, I do love some coconut oil

Archived