Canola oil?

kimmy8982

My office has a cafeteria, and they cook almost everything in canola oil. I had one omlette cooked in it at the beginning of my Whole30 without knowing it. I can avoid it for the rest of it, but the cafe is so convenient, I'm wondering how bad canola oil is for me and if it will totally throw my system off if I ever pop down there for something when I'm in a pinch in the future. It's just so convenient! I can talk to them about alternative cooking oils but I think based on cost it might be a long shot.

thanks for any and all advice!

Are you sure it is allowed on the Whole30? I've always been under the impression these horrible seed oils are off the table for the program. If not, they really should be. I'd go out of your way to avoid it and just pack your own food.

I would suggest spacing out your cafeteria meals by several days to have time to observe any possible negative side effects. I don't tolerate inferior oils well and get headaches and joint stiffness, or just general malaise.

I do think that eating inferior quality food due to unpreparedness could derail my Whole30. I am trying to see what happens when I give my body the best fuel and a chance to recover from things that may be doing harm. So, if I am going to find myself in a pinch, I hope it doesn't happen more than once or twice during the 30 days. Wow, does this take a lot of planning and preparing! I'm pretty sure it will be worth it.

Totally agree, Ive only had it once and I'm 16 days in, and I wasnt going to have it again until after the 30 days are up...was just thinking ahead to the future, in that im sure in the upcoming months or years I'll be in a bind and have to eat in the cafe as an alternative to not eating at all. I work pretty long days and it's bound to happen. Thanks for the tips everyone, ill definitely steer clear for the rest of the 30 and as much as possible after!

I do think that eating inferior quality food due to unpreparedness could derail my Whole30. I am trying to see what happens when I give my body the best fuel and a chance to recover from things that may be doing harm. So, if I am

going to find myself in a pinch, I hope it doesn't

happen more than once or twice during the 30

days. Wow, does this take a lot of planning and

preparing! I'm pretty sure it will be worth it.

I restarted after 19 days and two eating out occurrences that left me with a headache afterwards despite ordering compliant food. Even though people on the forums said I didn't have to restart, I wanted to have the cleanest possible 30 days, for my best possible experience. But I have an advantage in that I am self employed and rarely work more than a few hours a day away from home. Kimmy, if I recall correctly, must be away from home for all 3 meals, and would probably be quite relieved to no have to pack all that food all the time. Sadly, the cafeteria is likely using other low quality ingredients, like factory soy-fed eggs, gmos like whoa...and really you just don't know. I'm rambling...

You remember correctly! Working from home would definitely be an advantage! I'm just going with the "make it work" attitude for now! The reason I love this plan is that it allows you to let your body do what it's meant to do and be nourished the way it was meant to be nourished, without having to be so hard on yourself or having to consume your life with counting and weighing. It's that controlled but relaxed nature of the program that makes me believe this can be a forever life change. I have "dieted" before with success but once I reach my goal there becomes this all or nothing mentality, like I'm sentenced to a lifetime of counting or i'll go back to a place i don't want to return to. The way I think about this is that the Whole30 lets me reset my way of eating, thinking, and living, and that I dont have to be unreasonable or hard on myself once it's over. As long as I commit to making the best choices I can for myself and my body and understand that I'm human and can't be perfect, I will still be a success and be able to carry onward without guilt—Instead it's just on to the next healthy food choice and continuing on down the path to a healthier life.

Are you sure it is allowed on the Whole30? I've always been under the impression these horrible seed oils are off the table for the program. If not, they really should be. I'd go out of your way to avoid it and just pack your own food.

I am positive. Like I said, they are to be avoided and you can minimize them by being careful what you order. Obviously those who have direct adverse reactions to them should always avoid them.

Oh, another thing to watch is the "canola oil" used in some restaurants/cafeterias is not actually even 100% canola oil. Seriously, ask to see the container of the oil because some of them have soy or other additives in them. I started doing this at restaurants when I'm not doing a W30 and it is pretty amazing what gets passed as canola oil. Anymore these days, I just don't even want to mess with having these oils in my diet because they're so unhealthy. But, I have the good fortune of eating all my meals at home. But yeah, in general, it never hurts to ask to read the ingredients yourself so you can make an informed decision about what you put in your body!

Casey, yes it is a really inferior oil and should be avoided if at all possible but, as Susan said an occasional meal cooked in, when there's nothing else available is not going to derail a W30. Nico, yes planning really helps a lot. Moluv, I admire your dedication and Kimmy, well you know I'm already a fan of yours :) I think you do awesomely well under really difficult circumstances. I love what you say here

As long as I commit to making the best choices I can for myself and my body and understand that I'm human and can't be perfect, I will still be a success and be able to carry onward without guilt—Instead it's just on to the next healthy food choice and continuing on down the path to a healthier life.

So you go girl, continue on being a success on that path to a healthier life. Good luck

I wanted to eat at a restaurant with my friends the other night (japanese style cooking in front of you...), called ahead to confirm they only cooked with soy oil. inquired about if i could bring my own oil... they agreed to cook my food separately with my oil.

same the other night with salmon. they could not tell me what exactly was in the seasoning, and offered to broil it sans their special seasoning mix.

all of it tasted super! all you have to do is ask, and I am sure they will accomodate you within manageability.

tonite even i must have seemed liked the pain customer at the hot food bar (whole foods). the veggies said "grilled" and listed only seasonings. looked as if there was oil in there. at my request, 3 people were retrieved in order to verify and confirm a mistake was made in the preparation and it was in fact canola oil.

you have every right to inquire and make requests! don't necessarily give in to always packing for yourself. i understand- from your other post i replied to, i wanted to tell you, when i hard boil eggs, i boil 8-10 at a time (and always take 2 with me as my emergency snack). when i cook up chicken or fish filets, it is enough for 4 meals at once! veggies are cut up ready to eat, raw or steamed veggies (a whole large bowl filled in my fridge). it is okay to figure out how to make it easier on yourself, especially with your schedule!

Just a tip......

A lot of restrurants use olive oil blends when they say olive oil.... Some have as little as 5% olive oil... If they bring it in a cruette or glass carafe and not the original bottle, I'd put money it's not EVO but rather some sort of blend ( soy,canola, etc)

I would make a point to say you are allergic to soy canola .... And ask to check the oil

• 2 months later...

I bought some tapenade at Trader Joe's (artichoke) and canola oil is listed low on the list of ingredients. I thought it was clean when I bought it. What I am reading here is that it's not my best choice, but that it's okay in small quantities?

• 2 months later...

Archived