Best Ever Homestyle Meatloaf

Johnny M

This is better-than-mom's-meatloaf meatloaf. I have been experimenting for a while to get this right with no breadcrumbs and I finally nailed it!

NOTE FROM MODERATOR: The original link is broken, a member had the recipe from the original post and was kind enough to type out the recipe in this thread.  Click HERE.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I make a ton of the ketchup for dipping and am totally accustomed to the taste. I had real ketchup a couple weeks ago and couldn't stand the taste. I'm that kid that used to eat half the bottle of ketchup on everything. I feel less guilty with doctored up tomato paste.

My kids are bitter that I'm not putting the usual BBQ sauce/ketchup glaze on the top of my meatloaf.

Have to figure out how to duplicate that sweet kick without the honey.

I made a great BBQ sauce with applesauce as the sweetener, and my nephew thought it was great. I think it was from the It Starts With Food book. I spent the next week dipping chicken strips in it every chance I got.

The secret to making sweet, but sugarless ketchup is to make it straight from sweet, ripe tomatoes and removing the seeds (those are bitter). It is a pain in the butt to do, but if you do a big batch in the summer you can have it all year round.

This meatloaf looks awesome! I will have to try it.

Yeah, also wondering if I mis-converted something from US to metric.

Next question : ) I asked on your blog but will pester you here too. How long would the sauce/ketchup keep do you reckon?

I made up the rest of the tomato past I bought for this into sauce for my kids to use.

AMAZING!!!! Made it into cupcakes though. Could not believe how moist they were. So much juice in the pan I poured over cut up leftovers. Kids loved them. Hubby told me he hates meatloaf so when he asked what it was I said beef cupcakes... even he was fooled and enjoyed dinner as well as leftovers for work lunches! One girl at work came over twice when I brought them (for breakfast one day, lunch another) asking what the awesome smell was. Won't bother testing other recipes!

Archived