Heather's first W30

Heather HF

I have been complaining to +myself (and sometimes others) about needing to clean up my diet. I knew what I needed to do, but kept coming up with excuses. On February 28, a facebook friend posted that she was starting the Whole30 the next day on March 1, who wanted to join her? I posted about how I needed to, but didn't see it happening. And then kept thinking about it all day. That night I committed, with very little preparation. I went to the store and bought a flat of chicken that I baked that night, and some produce, eggs and almonds. No time like the present, right?

Day 1 took me out of the house for a good part of the day so my afternoon "meal" consisted of almonds, raw veggies and a pear. The detox headache started at about 5 pm, and sent me to bed early.

Day 2 was horrible. I felt hungover, really was beyond functioning. Luckily it was Saturday, so my husband was able to hold down the fort and was quite supportive, including cooking my eggs for breakfast while I stayed in bed.

I found myself wide awake before 5 am on Day 3, with my headache fading. I was actually able to be up and working, albeit a bit slowly. My food discovery of the day was that I really like sweet potatoes with cinnamon, no butter or sugar necessary. Who knew?

Day 4 is in the books!

A bit of carry over from day 3 first. I found myself shaky and week after I went to bed last night so I got up and grabbed an apple and a tablespoon of almond butter. I neglected to read the label on the almond butter and it was not legal :(

On to today, I had my first eating out challenge. I volunteer for an organization that has a social meeting at Chick Fil A once a month. I packed almonds and veggies in my bag, and bought myself a fruit cup and iced tea while I was there. Sad when the chicken isn't safe.

Breakfast and dinner were more of the same, eggs with veggies, and meat and sweat potato. I am a creature of habit.

Luckily my eating has been more consistent than my posting. Eating dinner on day 10 right now. So far so good. The soda cravings are still strong, but the sugar cravings not so much. I haven't had a ton of variety in my food so far, I am going to attempt the chocolate chili recipe this week. I did tackle my first dining out experience. I shared a fajita plate (minus the beans, rice, tortillas, cheese and sour cream) with a whole30 friend.

A third of the way done!

Archived