RTS -- restless leg syndrome

Has anyone here found that the Whole30 relieved restless leg syndrome? I'm on day 8 of the Whole30, and though I'm happy to have found a way to deal with my asthma at a foundational level, it's really the RTS that brought me here. Because although it's not life threatening, it seriously messes up sleep, and it feels awful.

One night a couple of weeks ago it was very bad, and, unable to sleep, I was googling rts to see what I could find about natural ways to deal with it, and found a bit of evidence that it's related to -- and this will be no surprise to you all -- chronic inflammation. So I started researching anti-inflammation diets, and ended up here.

It hasn't disappeared, but I think it's better at the moment.

I'm deeply interested in being able to counter it, or even cure it, because it gets worse over time, AND the meds stop working, one by one. Until they start prescribing such things as valium, and since I'm a recovered addict and alcoholic, that would not be a drug I could take.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to know if you find help. I have been sufferig with very bad nightly leg cramps for years. I never sleep am enitre night. The whole 30 has cleared up many of mmy problems and I feel very good but they have not touched the severity of the cramps. I so wish I could say different.

I used to have RLS. I say 'used to' because I don't think I've had a single incident since I switched to a paleo diet in the summer of 2011. Because I was already paleo before I found the Whole30, I can't say for sure if the Whole30 helped me or not. I will say that Whole30 made a HUGE difference in how I slept in general (I've always been a terrible sleeper) but that didn't happen until about the start of week 3. All of a sudden, I was sleeping deeply, all night, and awaking refreshed instead of still tired. It was kind of a shock to me when it happened, actually.

So I would say - just keep going. Good stuff happens...but you sometimes you have to wait for it.

Archived