Butternut squash

I am looking for tips for cooking and enjoying butternut squash. I can buy it cubed, so I think I will do that before I move on to whole butternut squash, acorn squash, and maybe a spaghetti squash on Friday.

I'd love your tips for all things squash!

Many thanks!

Butternut Squash soup is delicious! I cube it and boil it in homemade stock (chicken or beef) with carrots, onions, garlic, seasonings (curry is really good!) and whatever other veggies are around. The I use an immersion blender to puree it all into a yummy soup!

Spaghetti squash is super easy and is one of my weekly staples :) Sub where you use traditional noddles, like with spaghetti sauce and meatballs.

Good luck!

I buy bags of Whole Foods frozen, organic butternut squash. It's delicious heated up with ghee and salt. Or pureed with coconut cream.

Or, take half squash/half turnips (frozen, too), put in a pot with chicken broth just to cover. Simmer approximately 20 minutes. Puree in a blender or with an immersion blender. Add salt and pepper and any other spice you really love (I add chipotle pepper) and about 1/2 cup of coconut milk.

I swear it tastes too good to be compliant....and now that I've typed this, I must have it for lunch.

Butternut Squash soup is delicious! I cube it and boil it in homemade stock (chicken or beef) with carrots, onions, garlic, seasonings (curry is really good!) and whatever other veggies are around. The I use an immersion blender to puree it all into a yummy soup!

Spaghetti squash is super easy and is one of my weekly staples :) Sub where you use traditional noddles, like with spaghetti sauce and meatballs.

Good luck!

I saved a Butternut squash soup recipe from Runner's World about 18 months ago and never made it. I'm not sure I know how to make spaghetti squash either, but I think it would be a fun meal addition.

Do you not like it on its own? I usually just cook it until it's very soft and top with coconut oil. It's also good with meat sauce.

I have only had it once, on Day 1. I don't think I prepared it correctly or used it for the correct purpose. It completely fell apart. Aside from an icky texture, it had a nice flavor with the right spices. Once I get it cooked nicely, meat sauce may help to make it a meal. What is meat sauce?

Similarly, I have cooked acorn squash once a few years ago following a recipe that roasted it with apples. It simply didn't work out, so I know I need some help and I'd like to give myself more than sweet potato and pumpkin.

I know people here love various types of squash, so thanks for sharing!

I roast mine, let it cook until I can touch it, then cut it up into chunks and throw it in a pot with some ghee, coconot milk (just a splash) and salt - then I cook and mash until it has a chunky mashed-potato like quality.

Tonight, I'm trying butternut squash with anise for the first time - hope it's good!

Tonight, I'm trying butternut squash with anise for the first time - hope it's good!

Definitely let us know how it turns out. My husband loves anise!

Looks like I have a few ideas to try to redeem myself for that first stab at butternut squash. Thanks!

What is meat sauce?

A rich tomato sauce with ground meat in it. Something you might get on pasta in an Italian restaurant, usually called bolognese. I don't usually use a recipe when I make it, just add a little of this and a little of that. Here's a paleo meat sauce recipe that looks pretty simple and tasty: http://fastpaleo.com/spaghetti-squash-with-organic-meat-sauce/

I put carrots in my sauce, so I think I can sort of relate. I like the texture and the flavors. I am enjoying trying new things, so I'll give both types of squash a try for fun. :-)

I usually toss butternut squash chunks w/ ghee and cinnamon and bake @ 350-375 until it startes to caremelize. Allspice, nutmeg are nice too...

Spaghetti squash I poke A LOT with a fork and either put in the oven or mirco(if in a hurry) until it seems slightly soft. I think it was Johnny that mentioned he blew one up in the mirco because he didn't poke holes in it... LOL

I put carrots in my sauce, so I think I can sort of relate. I like the texture and the flavors. I am enjoying trying new things, so I'll give both types of squash a try for fun. :-)

Absolutely give both a try! Trying new vegetables is always fun. I bought a kabocha squash to try this week. A little intimidating.

My brother blew up a spag squash in the MW one time. I giggled.

My favorite way to cook them is whole (no holes needed) in the slow cooker on high for 4 hours. Then I let it cool a little and get rid of the seeds and fork the strands into a pyrex to use for whatever. Today I made a ground lamb and eggplant ragu to serve over it. It was a plate licker. :)

I just read this thread and MUST share my experience I had with an acorn squash last night!

So there sat my acorn squash all like "eat me, eat me" and I was really having a hard time figuring out what to do with it. First, I halved it, scooped out the seeds, placed it face down in a microwave safe dish and nuked it until it was soft (7 minutes or so?) Usually i just top it with some spaghetti sauce or chili (which is also very good) but i was tired of that. So, I scooped out all of the squash into a big mixing bowl, I added 2 eggs, a little salt, and 1 clove of minced garlic. I mashed it up really good and put it in the oven and baked it at 350 for about 15 minutes. It was SO good. I almost felt like it was SWYPO because it tasted so much like my mom's corn casserole we have every year at Thanksgiving. Anyways, just though I'd share!

Is this a recipe or your own creation?

For real recipe. I was digging through my recipe box (not cool like you with your binders) and found an old cut out from a magazine. I changed it a bit. Onions, garlic and fennel seeds in a ton of ghee. I am a fat whore. Then toss in ground lamb. When it's browned add cubed eggplant. It called for one cup. I threw in four. Two cans of fire roasted tomatoes, 1 Tbs tom paste, 1 cup chicken stock and a glug of balsamic. Delish.

Archived