Help! Nut addiction!

ah28

Hello everyone--

I'm probably about 20ish days into my Whole30 (I stopped counting) and still haven't been able to shake this nut addiction. It has actually been an addiction since going 80/20 paleo about a year ago. I can have a perfect day of eating...go for a tiny handful of nuts (any kind...almonds, cashews, pecans, etc...I don't discriminate!) and it turns into an intense BINGE. These episodes will be so ridiculous that my stomach is distended and in pain for hours after and greatly affecting sleep.

A few things to note: I have completely stopped buying them and I don't have any nuts in my home anymore. I nanny for a family (where I spend a huge amount of time) and they have massive jars of any kind of nut you can imagine. I have tried "completely" giving them up and last 4-5 days MAX.

I'm pretty embarrassed about my lack of willpower in this area and would love any suggestions. I feel like this is the major issue preventing me from having success with the Whole30.

You are so not alone. I , too am a huge nut addict. Mostly peanut butter, but cashews and almonds, too. I keep them in the house for my kids cause they are about the healthiest snack they will grab (other than some fruit). Not sure what to do. I have made my kids camp PB sand. for the week and froze them so I didn't have to open the jar! I hope there is a way we can break this. Good luck! I just started (day 5) and I just had nuts!!!! Ahhh!

• 3 weeks later...

Me too! It is ridiculous! I've given up all manner of crappy foods, but nuts are really challenging me! I've had my husband hide them and dole out proper portions because I have no control. It's to the point now where I don't think I can have them in the house. Not sure how to handle that because they are a GREAT snack for everyone else in the house than can handle them.

Mine is dried fruit, like sultanas, and then almonds. I love them. I mix them with coconut cream, and eat them like a yoghurt style. I'm on day 11, and i know it effecting my progress. i just don't know how to give them up completely without cutting them out all together.

I'm thinking Tom might be right in saying to try and eat more during meal times. I just don't want to be controlled by those snacky types of things.........

My goal today is to have a cup of tea (herbal) before i reach for the sultanas and nuts. To mkake my stomach full of liquid before i feel the need to eat.......... Hopefully this works!!!

Ra_k, I have trouble with the dried fruit & nut combo too, it's just SO good. I find if i get a little pot and count out say 6 sulatanas and 6 cashews and put the stuff away. And then eat them slowly......

I am addicted to the Mauna Loa macadamia nuts at Costco! I had never tried them before but as they are listed as one of the best nuts and a great mono-fat source I bought the can for $16 even though I thought that was expensive. I cant put them down. I had to make a baggie to take to work to prevent me from over eating. But the HUGE PLUS is that my kids LOVE them too!

Archived