Best "okayish" bacon?

• Moderators

There is no such thing as okayish. A food is either okay or not okay for a Whole30. In or out, yes or no is part of the program design. We don't want anyone making a judgment call that x amount of sugar is okay. That is a slippery slope.

Personally, I gave up on finding bacon. I use prosciutto when I want some meaty flavor in a variety of dishes. It is not really a bacon substitute, but you can find prosciutto made with just pork and salt and it is tasty in its own right.

Personally, when I'm not on a whole30, I just try to find the bacon with the cleanest ingredients, and if there is a form of sugar, it should be low enough to not register on the nutritional label. In an otherwise sugar free diet, I'm ok with a trace amount in my bacon. I'm also not a bacon fanatic (gasp!) so I only buy it maybe once a month. Whole foods has some that is labeled with their sourcing information so you know how high the quality is but I mostly buy it from my butcher.

i LOVE applegate sunday bacon (and my local BJ's has it in packs of 3 for $10). it's delicious, clean bacon. though it IS cured in a trace amount of sugar, so it would NOT be okay for a whole30. but, when you're not whole30-ing it...

Archived