Day 29: sad, no patience, can't concentrate (eat PLENTY of sweet potatoes!)

I have been reluctant to write....I've reviewed every topic under this category (and read many!)....but the advice for what I'm experiencing is always the same....eat more sweet potatoes/squash/fruit. I can assure you that I am, and have been my whole Whole30. I would like to continue (my face finally cleared up this past weekend after being plagued by horrible, uncharacteristic cystic acne), but need to know a) if I am missing something so I can fix it from here on, and B) if I will start feeling better eventually.

I'm sure I've lost weight, I sleep better, and, as I mentioned, my skin is clear....but I am very blue, irritable, and find concentration and memory a major (again, uncharacteristic) problem.

I appreciate any advise/words of wisdom (as long as it doesn't include the words "sweet potato") :)

• Moderators

Two thoughts. One, maybe you need more time for everything to come together. Two, could your life situation and not your food be inspiring sadness, impatience, etc.? I wish food could cure everything, but sometimes other interventions are required.

I will throw out a cyber hug to you.

I remember feeling blue during the last few days of my first whole 30 as well. I didn't get it as I had felt so upbeat and positive before. And then just boom. The blues fell upon me.

Now I am not sure by your name if you are male or female. If you are female I could say that hormones could be still playing around and having some fun. Hey it happens. Just push through and try to focus on the positives. I know it's hard when you are bummed. But you have nearly made it!! you're a day away from re-introduction! So good for you!!!

So my advice to you - indulge in something you really enjoy doing and try to relax.

Thank you for your replies. I am female :) and have considered that angle (I have never dealt with PMS before, but during the Whole30 I was a monster!). To be honest, except for some brief moments of what I would call "contentedness" during the first week, I have noticed myself becoming increasingly sad, irritable, impatience, and losing mental "sharpness". While I certainly cannot claim to be unduly stressed :)...I have a great marriage, wonderful children, and a job I love.... I tend to be an anxious person. Having struggled with depression in my early 20s I am very attuned to warning signs (I have not experienced depression for 13 years) and I wouldn't say I am depressed, this is different. I'm hoping it will pass! As I said in my initial post....I'd like to continue with a 2nd Whole30....and need to know that by staying on course it will get better. :). Thanks!

Herwin,

I can relate to a diagree. Pre Whole 30 my PMS was out of control. Monster. yep that was me. Cramps, pain, depressive tendencies, migraines - me also. The whole 30 actually cleaned all of this up. PMS now lasts maybe one day. Compared to 10 days? I'll take it. Migraines are still hanging around but have vastly improved. I can function. But I am going to need to give it some more time. I'm still working on this. March 2 was Day 1 of my 3rd whole 30.

Since this is day 29 and you may still be have some unresolved issues and you are considering extending it (I extended my first one to 40 days considering I had noted in around day 20 I was about 10 days behind the timeline so I just went with it) So you can either just add days and make it a whole whatever or take a short break do re-intro of a couple of things see how it goes, and jump back on in a few days time.

Could you just be hungry? Ie not eating enough? Do you drink coffee? I found I got more sensitive to this as time went by.. Presumably due to detoxing of other stuff. Perhaps you have developed a sensitivity to something else? I developed a short term sensitivity to eggs once that caused these sort of symptoms. Or is it an emotional response to changing your diet? I hope you figure it out or it resolves itself!

Archived