Kairiki's Whole30 Log - The Journey of A Warrior

Kairiki

Hi Everybody,

My name is Kairiki (bonus points if you know what this name means in Japanese ;)).

I'm a happily married man with a young daughter.

I live in Kentucky, home of Kentucky Fried Chicken (oh, the irony!) and just kicked off my first day of W30 yesterday.

So expect some victories, learning lessons, and hilarity as I seek to improve my health from fair to optimum.

Sunday Day 1: Eggs, eggs, eggs! I was ready to cluck. I also pick up some Wholly guacamole, sweet potatoes, Maranatha Foods Coconut Butter, and onions from the local grocery.

I explained to my wife a brief summary of W30 and she looked at me like: "Have fun with that one!" LOL

Alas, I will be leaning on your support as well. Thanks for taking the time to read this. :)

Day 1 is coming to a close! Weeoooo!

What an eventful day!

I woke up feeling a tad bit groggy yet went ahead and completed my morning ritual (e.g. writing in my blog, reading my Bible, and preparing food). I am realizing that guacamole will be my very best friend from now on. Guac can be used on anything and really is a game changer. Strangely, I have been craving fat a lot more than carbs which is cool by me!

I have the blessing of working from home so I don't have to deal with office parties or anything of that nature. The challenge is to fill in the times at work where I have my breaks. Normally, I would chug a whey protein shake and now I drink a glass of coconut milk (Update: Scratch the coconut milk. I am not too comfortable drinking coconut milk from BPA steel cans so I decided to ditch this idea. In fact, I took them back to the store and purchased more guac which was on sale! WINNING! :) )

The biggest lessons I am learning is that this will be a lifestyle for me and a learning process. I don't need to be perfect - only focus on progress. If I can get 20% of this down then 80% of my results will show.

Here's a recap of my meals:

• Breakfast: 3 eggs, 2 tsps of guac, and fried onions in coconut butter oil from Marantha.
  • Lunch: 3 eggs, 1 carrot, and 2 tsps of guac (I was rushing on this one. I have only a 30 minute lunch.)
  • Dinner: Stir-fry chicken, onions, and 2 tsps of guac. Went for a second helping too and more guac! LOL

Okay, that's a wrap. How did your eating go today? Look forward to your responses. :)

Day 2 is coming to a close.

• Breakfast: 3 eggs, 2 tsps of guac, and fried onions in coconut butter oil from Maranatha (I have noticed that their brand burns really easy. Hmmm)
  • Lunch: 2 eggs with 2 tsp of guac. (Rushed again) - Sigh
  • Dinner: Stir-fry chicken, onions, and 2 tsps of guaca
  • Pre-workout: 1 can of tuna, mustard, and 1 tsp of guac

​No snacking today at all. This has been intriguing way to live thus far. Once my food settles, I will go in the gym. Stay tuned on first impressions.

Late entry:

Good Morning! I went to bed errrly so I did not get a chance to give my first impressions on how my training went being powered by Whole9.

It...was...AWESOME!

• Pre-WO: I had two eggs (shocking I know, huh? LOL),1 tsp of guac and onions.
  • Post-WO: 2 eggs, 1 tsp of guac, w/ sweet potato.

I felt stronger while training at the gym. I didn't feel winded and I felt great leaving too. Overall, I would say that this was a huge success for me!

I have to admit since being on W30, I am becoming WAY MORE aware of what I am putting into my body now. For example, I am normally the CFO (Chief Food Officer) for our home. I decide what meals we will have as a fam. Since being on W30, I had to step back (aghast I must say) that some of my "healthy" choices had such strange bedfellows like wheat, corn syrup, and even sugar (the culprits was Laura's Beef Meatloaf and Jimmy Dean sausage).

I went in panic mode. I calmed myself down, breathed, and adjusted. I am realizing there is no such thing as failure only lessons. So I will be flexible and buy more food to eat separately from the fam.

More updates possibly today. Thanks for reading! :)

Well, friends,

I am on the verse of frustration and tears.

Let me explain.

I had a hearty meal for dinner. The usual (2 eggs, 2 tsp of guac, and chopped onions). I was feeling daring and decided to slap on some unsweetened coconut. Winning.

I told Honey that I was going to take a nap. Normally when I take a nap, I will play around on Twitter on my Android phone. Curiosity got the best of me because I wanted to find out what a certain ingredient on the unsweetened coconut was (ignorance is definitely not bliss on the W30 program).

I had downloaded an app that can show all the food additives that manufacturers can use. The ingredient I overlooked:

Sodium metabisulfite

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I had been digesting a sulfite for the two days I think (I am unable to find the grocery receipt).

Alas, I will be starting on Day 1 again tomorrow.

Lesson learned.

A setback is only a set up for a comeback.

Hi Friends!

Uber stressful day at work yesterday. I was really spent. Where yesterday was going to be my W30 reboot, I actually will start today as the reboot. Why? Sigh. I found out that my post training supplements have glycerin (a sugar), cellulose, and rice flour. GRRRR!

Alas, I have restarted again. Oh well, live and learn, right? At least I found this out now then to keep on my merry way and find out on like day 29. I would have caused a riot. LOL

Lord willing, we will shop tonight and we will use the guidelines from Paleo Poor at our local supermarket.

In other news, amazing how we cleave to our foods and when we present with something such as Whole30, the term "moderation is the key" (I used this before a lot) will crop up or this W30 program is "extreme."

I just smile and allow them to learn on their own. When they are ready, they will be ready.

Thanks for reading!

Archived