Newly Preggo...and nauseous!

Hi! I am newly pregnant with my second child. I have done 3 whole30's in the last year, and maintain a clean/paleo lifestyle in between. I am not officially doing whole30 right now. With my first baby, I was incredibly nauseous for the first trimester. For whatever reason (probably just in my head) I only felt better when I was eating...yup usually cheeseburgers and pizza. I was miserable. BLAH.

I am only 6 weeks in and the nausea has already set in...and it's an all day thing, not just in the morning. What are some good whole30 options to help with the nausea? I've been trying to add some ginger to some of my recipes, but I don't know if it's helping. I probably don't add enough as I am not a big fan of ginger. Please help! Sick of being sick :)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have too many suggestions, just wanted to say that I know exactly how you feel! I'm 7 1/2 weeks and the nausea has REALLY kicked in over the last few days, and it's lasting pretty much all day for me too. With my first pregnancy, I had the same experience, but I didn't know anything about whole30, so I went for the cheeseburgers and potato chips as well.

I will say though, that I've spent the last two weeks eating off the whole30 plan and I feel just as bad as I did before, so I've decided to just stick with the food that I KNOW is good for me and makes me feel better (when I'm not pregnant), because I feel like there's no point in loading up on grains and dairy if I'm going to feel just as sick as if I only ate Whole30. Does that make sense at all? Anyway, it's kind of become a "shove some eggs down your throat and drink a lot of water afterwards" thing that I'm trying to live with now. Sigh. I know this'll be worth it in the end, but man, morning sickness is the worst!!!

I had SEVERE sickness with my daughter, the whole first trimester was awful. I puked seriously 20 times in one day, it was HELL. I discovered Mommy's Bliss Morning sickness magic, and it really was magic! They're all natural capsuls and take a couple days to kick in fully but they made it so that I could actually leave the house and work, I highly suggest them to anyone. If you're not severe enough to resort that (you have to take them 3 times a day if I remember correctly) I hear that eating beans has helped a lot of people. I know they're not whole30 but they're not a junk food either. I can't wait to try it out next time I'm pregnant. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I had SEVERE sickness with my daughter, the whole first trimester was awful. I puked seriously 20 times in one day, it was HELL. I discovered Mommy's Bliss Morning sickness magic, and it really was magic! They're all natural capsuls and take a couple days to kick in fully but they made it so that I could actually leave the house and work, I highly suggest them to anyone. If you're not severe enough to resort that (you have to take them 3 times a day if I remember correctly) I hear that eating beans has helped a lot of people. I know they're not whole30 but they're not a junk food either. I can't wait to try it out next time I'm pregnant. Good luck!

Thanks so much! Your morning sickness sounded like it was terrible! I shouldn't complain...my is not that horrible. I'm about 12 weeks and it's getting better, but i will certainly keep this in mind IF there's a next time. Right now i'm thinking that's a no :)

Sweet potatoes. They are starchy, sweet, fairly easy to digest. Bananas. Bone broths are your best friend-----lots of protein sparing goodness in them. A little broth with some white-meat chicken and snow peas can be very settling. Keep a banana at your bedside and try eating half of it before you get out of bed in the morning.

Stay hydrated. Here's the best tip of all: take Epsom salt baths at night with lots of salt. Pour two cups of Epsom salts into your tub, run warm water, and soak for a nice long time. Magnesium really really really helps.

Oh..and CONGRATULATIONS!

Pea

Wellness mama has a helpful article about this:

http://wellnessmama.com/6065/how-i-avoided-morning-sickness/

I'm half tempted to get pregnant just to see if it works, lol ! I was miserable with all three of my pregnancy's - but I ate totally different back then. Best of luck, morning sickness is so hard. Keep us posted, I would love to hear what works for you.

Congrats! I never tried this myself, but my stepmom *swore by* eating a HB egg at night before bedtime. Morning sickness is generally caused by low sugar and by eating the HB egg, your body is working on that egg all night. I have friends who tried it and said it cured their morning sickness.

I think it is different for everyone. Someone suggested sweet potato and fruit above and it made me feel sick just thinking about it. There's no way that would have worked for me this pregnancy. But, white potato was o.k. I also resorted to corn tortillas and sometimes rice and that helped. It's a better choice than bread. I also went through a thing with ham, but I have access to smoked, sugar-free pastured ham.

Acupuncture worked for me. It didn't make my sickness go totally away, but made it so I could keep stuff down. I actually had to do it almost daily on myself and wore magnets for three months!

I wasn't able to force myself to stay paleo during my first trimester... Even now (at 28 weeks) it's been a struggle and I've been contending with a lot of non-specific cravings that I'm not at all used to having (sweets, carbs, etc).

I did find quite a few things that helped with the morning sickness though... I'm also an acupuncturist and treat a lot of pregnant women, so it was interesting putting my usual suggestions to the test on myself. I also recently started a blog that's mostly natural morning sickness remedies at this point: http://happymamahealthybaby.com/remedies/morning-sickness/

If you can get to an acupuncturist who's familiar with treating morning sickness, I'd really recommend it--that helped me more than anything else. Like CaseyD said, it didn't totally make it go away, but it did make it so I was able to get through the day with just a little nausea at night (and no vomiting). Google community acupuncture in your city for a low-cost option.

If you're craving foods like with your first (burgers) - couldn't you do the same for yourself now? Eat homemade, healthy burgers cooked with enough fat. Usually, if I ever want fast food, it's because of the fat. Make yourself sweet potato fries or jicama fries with plenty of oil and real sea salt.

Thanks so much for all of the helpful info!! I am about 14 weeks and have finally been able to get back on whole 30 most days, but when i fall off the wagon, I certainly fall hard :) Sweet potatoes definitely helped as did having lots of fruit/veggies ready and washed for quick snacking. Having a scrambled egg at night with a little ginger also helped. Funny how I couldn't even think of looking at an egg until about 10 weeks.

I'm hoping this will be my last week with morning sickness, and I'll be able to get back on track with my nutrition and with my workouts. Gosh, these babies sure do some havoc on our bodies, but what a blessing! Thank you all for the support!

Archived