Any reformed turnip-haters out there?

Moluv

I made a batch of mashed carrots + parsnips + turnips with salt, pepper and ghee and man oh man I HATE TURNIPS. I've only had turnips once before and hate them then too, but I thought I'd give them another go on my new and improved w30 tastebuds. Nyep, I just ruined a perfectly good bag of carrots instead.

I reheated some for lunch today, adding more ghee, salt and pepper and as I forcefed a few bites I just heard "It's a hard knocks life" from Annie in my mind.

Any ideas that don't involve coconut milk would be much appreciated. The only idea I have is "compost"

o m g. You've never made fritters with them have you? Shred them, sprinkle with salt and let sit for five minutes, put in a dish towel and ring out the water, then mix with a beaten egg and some pepper, then fry golf ball sized lumps pressed into patties in ghee. OUT OF THIS WORLD.

YES! I am a reformed turnip hater and now I'm an addict. Just grate them, salt them and fry them up like a hash, add whatever protein and yum, delicious! Also buy the smaller sized ones, they tend to be less bitter :)

So the mashing process must be what renders them utterly noxious...

Moluv I think so because they would most likely be steamed. That would be too turnip-y for me. I like the roasted sticks because of the browned edges. They don't get crisp so don't plan on that.

I made a similar mash from a recipe I found here - carrot, cauliflower, and turnip. I was not impressed at all. I added extra carrot and added sweet potato and found it edible, but not my favorite. I think I ended up adding some turmeric and cayenne. Anyway, thanks for asking because I have a few ideas now so that I can try again!

I think to try to salvage what I have, I will try Johnny's fritter idea by adding egg yolks and maybe a little bit coconut flour to the mash with some horseradish to mask the teargas flavor of the turnips and fry that in ghee. I will attempt to eat this with a side of horseradish leek kraut in a further attempt to mask the depressing flavor of turnip.

You know how smells trigger your emotions and memories...I'm just having such a negative response to that flavor...maybe I fell off a turnip truck as a baby.

I actually have always kind of liked turnips, but probably because I associate them with Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday.

But here's how I have been liking them lately: in a bisque!

I use 2 parts turnip to 1 part sweet potato

Put in a pot with water or broth to cover (if you use a strong broth it can overpower the flavor of the vegetables, so it's up to you)

Simmer until tender

Add salt, pepper, and spice of your choice (sometimes I like curry, but other times I use a touch of thyme)

Puree (immersion blender or whatever you have)

Now, you say you hate coconut milk, so you wouldn't do this step....but I like to add it until I get the proper bisquey texture

It is, however, delicious without it.

It depends on what kind of turnip for me. Rutabagas are much too strong, but purple-top turnips have a much more delicate flavor. I use them in stew, because texturally they replace the white potato without being overbearing. I can also zap one in the micro and eat it like a potato with ghee, scallions, and crumbled bacon.

Lol Kirsteen. Okay..I feel the same way about brussel sprouts. Don't like them. Never have. People keep trying to make me like them and that just makes me mad. Watch...Johnny and Tom will pipe up with recipes. :)

when i've squeezed out the water and made the fritters they've never had that horseradishy taste...they become very mild and potato like.

Similar to salting eggplant first. I had never heard of this but it makes sense.

I'm just going to compost the batch I made and try it your way next week Johnny.

Thanks everyone!

You all can keep your turnips!!! If it was a choice between eating only turnips and rutabagas , or slow painful agonizing death, I would choose the latter!!!

I eat all kinds of Ofal, blood whatever, bugs,sea creatures, innards, just about anything wild from a subarctic rainforest, fungi, you name it..... But to me the lowly turnip is nothing but a vegetablized fart!

You all can keep your turnips!!! If it was a choice between eating only turnips and rutabagas , or slow painful agonizing death, I would choose the latter!!!

I eat all kinds of Ofal, blood whatever, bugs,sea creatures, innards, just about anything wild from a subarctic rainforest, fungi, you name it..... But to me the lowly turnip is nothing but a vegetablized fart!

Too funny. I have this at my asian supermarket. How about this for dessert? Qualifies as blood whatever I guess.

63718ECB-C39E-45A1-A847-9ED5DA860661-1770-000003088BFA9ABB_zps4c377e0b.jpg

Your dog's face so goes with this post. :0)

Archived