Having trouble

I'm on day 4 now...wait, day 5, I was wrong and I'm struggling. I love meat and fats...not problems there. I do like some veggies, but I am not what you call a veggie lover. I've tried a couple of recipes and I'm struggling to get them down. For me to succeed the food HAS to taste good to me. I realize my tastes will change over time, but right now I just can't stomach:

cooked spinach

sweet potatoes

tomatoes

kale

brussle sprouts

I do OK with

cauliflower

broccoli

green beans

raw baby spinach

mushrooms (cooked only)

any kind of bell pepper

carrotts

But last night I made a beef stew with sweet potatoes and it was a thick tomoato base. Had trouble getting it down last night and didn't want to waste it so took it for lunch and literally CHOCKED it down. Bleh!

I'm afraid I'll get bored if I just do the same things over and over again, but I do best with the veggies above sauteed in ghee or coconut oil.

So far, I'm doing great with no sugar, but these veggies are killers for me!

What about:

Butternut/ acorn/ spaghetti squash

Okra

Avocados

Bok Choy

Cabbage

Celery

Watercress

Rutabaga

Parsnip

Fennel

Eggplant

Beets

Chard/ beet or collard greens

With spinach I like to warm some oil/ghee/lemon juice and toss it with the spinach/greens... That way it isn't soggy, just slightly wilted.

I have been buying one piece of random produce once a week that I have no idea how to cook; then look for a way to incorporate it into a meal or recipe. (Yucca and I don NOT get along! LOL) I shop at Wegmans, so I am able to get just a handful of just about any/all of the produce they offer If you are able to just get a tiny bit of a larger variety of veggies you might not feel like you are eating the same things over and over. I have also found that storing prepped veggies in pyrex containers filled w/ water keeps things fresher longer... Good Luck!

bust out your box grater and shred away! That's the trick I use with my youngest who, while he's a good eater, isn't terribly fond of some veggies but eats them just fine when they're shredded and cooked with meat and sauce. It's particularly effective for hiding zuchini in spaghetti sauce, well really any sauce.

Incorporating shredded and finely diced veggies into meatballs is another way to up your intake.

Have you tried kale chips? It's my son's favorite way to eat kale, we use the lacionato, aka dinosaur, kale, remove the rib, tear or cut into uniform pieces . Rinse and dry well. Massage with oil, I use olive or melted coconut oil, sprinkle with sea salt and bake at 350 until crispy-be careful not to over cook though, burnt kale is nasty....I know this from experience!

Cultured vegetables are a different taste/ texture sensation altogether. I love Cosmic Curry from Fab Ferments, Horseradish Leek from Farmhouse Culture, Kimchi from Rejuvenative Foods and I also make endless varieties at home. Google is your friend here if you don't know what these things are- each of these brands will have informative mail order websites.

Also, hang in there! This will change, and possibly pretty quickly. For the next day or two or three, just stick with what you know you like to eat. Part of what's happening is mixed up with your body craving other things and your mind not wanting to go along for the program ride.

Grating lightly sauteed vegetables is a great idea. If you can't stomach sweet potatoes, frozen winter squash (Bird's Eye, in the little square boxes) makes a great quick soup. Thaw unopened in the refrigerator overnight, then place in a pan with about 3/4 cup of chicken stock or water, season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of ground nutmeg, then heat while breaking down the solid rectangle of squash into small pieces. When they are very small, smooth the whole with a wire whisk. This is a very good way to get in some carbs and another yellow/orange vegetable.

Good luck--you can do this!

What about:

Butternut/ acorn/ spaghetti squash - In small amounts. I'm going to try a butternut squash soup. I've never had spaghetti squash.

Okra - never had

Avocados - I like guacamole in small amounts. I'm going to try just avacado this morning. I'll let you know how that goes.

Bok Choy - Never had

Cabbage - Smells nasty to me

Celery - I like this. I have a stalk in my chicken salad for today. I could eat with a nut butter on it. I use it in soups, etc.

Watercress - meh

Rutabaga - Never had

Parsnip - Never had

Fennel - Never had

Eggplant - I had eggplant parm once and hated the texture.

Beets - Can't stand

Chard/ beet or collard greens - Can't stand

With spinach I like to warm some oil/ghee/lemon juice and toss it with the spinach/greens... That way it isn't soggy, just slightly wilted.

I have been buying one piece of random produce once a week that I have no idea how to cook; then look for a way to incorporate it into a meal or recipe. (Yucca and I don NOT get along! LOL) I shop at Wegmans, so I am able to get just a handful of just about any/all of the produce they offer If you are able to just get a tiny bit of a larger variety of veggies you might not feel like you are eating the same things over and over. I have also found that storing prepped veggies in pyrex containers filled w/ water keeps things fresher longer... Good Luck!

See my comments in red above. I have a long way to go....

bust out your box grater and shred away! That's the trick I use with my youngest who, while he's a good eater, isn't terribly fond of some veggies but eats them just fine when they're shredded and cooked with meat and sauce. It's particularly effective for hiding zuchini in spaghetti sauce, well really any sauce.

Incorporating shredded and finely diced veggies into meatballs is another way to up your intake.

Have you tried kale chips? It's my son's favorite way to eat kale, we use the lacionato, aka dinosaur, kale, remove the rib, tear or cut into uniform pieces . Rinse and dry well. Massage with oil, I use olive or melted coconut oil, sprinkle with sea salt and bake at 350 until crispy-be careful not to over cook though, burnt kale is nasty....I know this from experience!

Good idea. So far I haven't used many sauces in any recipes though. I would love a good meatball recipe or meatloaf. Of course, it would just be me eating it. My husband and kids hate meatloaf. Sigh

Also, hang in there! This will change, and possibly pretty quickly. For the next day or two or three, just stick with what you know you like to eat. Part of what's happening is mixed up with your body craving other things and your mind not wanting to go along for the program ride.

Grating lightly sauteed vegetables is a great idea. If you can't stomach sweet potatoes, frozen winter squash (Bird's Eye, in the little square boxes) makes a great quick soup. Thaw unopened in the refrigerator overnight, then place in a pan with about 3/4 cup of chicken stock or water, season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of ground nutmeg, then heat while breaking down the solid rectangle of squash into small pieces. When they are very small, smooth the whole with a wire whisk. This is a very good way to get in some carbs and another yellow/orange vegetable.

Good luck--you can do this!

Good idea.

Last night I had a satifying meal.

We did buffalo chicken stripes (cooked boneless/skinless chicken breast in coconut oil and then drizzled with hot sauce) and ate them in romain lettcue leaves

For veggie I cooked green beans in coconut oil with blanced slivered almonds. Mmmmmm LOVED THAT!

I'm not a fan of chard or kale just to chow down on either... I tend to cut it up very small and add to meat sauce, or add it into my egg muffins. Adding lemon makes a world of difference too :) No Beets?!?! Oh man, saves more for me!! I actually wrestled my 28 year old sister in my kitchen the other night and forced her to eat one, claiming she couldn't have more wine if she didn't... and she liked it! HA! It was quite comical.

Try salad. It's easy. It's fast. Put in only what you like. Use olive oil with lemon as dressing. Add nuts for jazz if you feel like it.

Also, slice up raw peppers and carrots and eat them while you cook...I love that!

Don't eat things you hate or have to choke down, you'll just end up unsatisfied and angry. Eat only what you like :)

The other thing I noticed is when I started I ate a lot of what I liked that was on plan and after a week to 10 days, I got real bored and more inventive and started trying things I have never had before. Some I liked, some I didn't. But I tried new things and found new things to eat along the way. So don't stress about it, find what you like to get through those first days before the "magic" and then you will feel so good you'll try some new things.

Roasting veggies has helped me. I do not like steamed plain veggies but tossed in olive oil, salt pepper and garlic powder, then roasted on a sheet pan @425 for 25 mins....yummmm especially cauliflour and broccoli. Green beans I make a sauce out of my mayo with lemon juice and extra black pepper and salt.

Meatloaf from Sarah Fragoso.

1lb beef + 1lb pork

1cup grated carrots

1cup grated spinach ( I use the food processor to get them very fine)

1.5 t salt

.5 t pepper

1t minced garlic

1t onion powder

1t dried parsley

Grease muffin tin with coconut oil and used 1/3 c meat balled into each muffin space

Bake 350 for 15-20 min

Archived