Day 1, and a couple of questions

Avalanche

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie - day 1. I've read the book and spent a lot of time on the site and reading posts in the forums. This first week I'm eating mostly foods that I already know and love, and then will slowly start exploring other options. If I try to do too much at once it always ends poorly. I used to be REALLY dedicated to eating only real foods, so this is familiar territory for me. Unfortunately over the last couple of years I have been slipping more and more and eating worse and worse. I have a bunch of random health issues - lots of joint pain as well as ibs-like symptoms, and I don't feel good most of the time. And yes, I also want/need to lose a bunch of weight. So I'm ready for a change. On the fitness side of things I'm about as active as a rock, so I'm going to be phasing in activity over the 30 days as well. I made a meal plan for the week, and did a big shop yesterday, so for the most part, I feel ready. I think weekends are going to be the hardest - no booze, no crazy food consumption. And I'll miss dairy like crazy.

Of course there are still some question marks, and I want to make sure I'm getting this right. I have a few compliance questions:

1. If smoked salmon uses evaporated cane juice in its brine, that is a no-no, right? The NI does say 0g sugar though, so I'm not sure. I just bought a ton of it not really thinking about that, and I'd rather figure this out on day 1, than be happily eating it all month only to discover it's non-compliant. It will freeze well if I need to hold off.

2. I have a chocolate flavored tea I really like on occasion and I just want to be 100% sure it's compliant. It has no sugar or other sweeteners and the ingredients are as follows: Organic Pu∙erh, Organic Cocoa Powder, Organic Vanilla, Organic Theo Chocolate Cocoa Nibs, Organic Rooibos, Organic Orange Peel, Organic Nutmeg, Organic Cinnamon. Also, I know part of the plan is to stay away from foods as psychological crutches, but chocolate is not a big deal for me. I mean, I like it, but it is not something I would normally eat often, or even that much of. (Salty/Crunchy is my big weak spot)

3. What about things cooked/braised in wine? I'm thinking mussels or lamb shanks, etc. where all the alcohol is cooked off.

Thanks!

Welcome. :)

Yes, the evaporated cane juice is sugar and no amount is okay. The government lets them say zero if its under so many grams. I am glad it freezes well.

Your tea is fine and now we all want to know where you got it. My favorite brand has stevia in it.

Unfortunately the cooking with wine is out. Not all the alcohol evaporates and no amount of alcohol is okay. I think it would be awesome to make some fish stock for your shellfish. Most fish mongers will give you fish heads and spines for a song. Plus it only takes 20-30 minutes to make a fish stock.

Most of us use chicken or beef stock in place of wine for chicken and beef dishes. I made a ground lamb and eggplant ragu today and used chicken stock and a splash of balsamic. Just be sure your vinegars contain no added sulphites. Naturally occurring is fine.

So smart of you to ask these questions before you start. :0)

Been loving the Numi Pu-erh with ginger. Chocolate would probably be nice, too. I'm not a chocolate person, but it still sounds fun!

Welcome! It sounds like you are on the right track and asking perfect questions.

Thanks! I had a feeling those were out, but just wanted to be sure. The tea is Numi Chocolate Pu-erh. Your ragu sounds delicious, I am definitely making a lamb stew this weekend, maybe I'll add some eggplant.

Thank you Avalanche. :)

Archived