Chicken with lemon-garlic almost-butter sauce with zucchini

Kristina Wright

I whipped up a great meal the other night, it really surprised me. I was DYING to use my new julienne peeler, and I have always wanted to try zucchini noodles, so I grabbed some zucchini and peeled it into thin strips, sprinkled with sea salt (mine is iodized) and wrapped it in paper towels. Not SWYPO because pasta wasn't a cravable habit for me to begin with (unlike bread, popcorn, and chocolate ice cream, which haunt my dreams on Days 1-10), but it might be a paleofied indulgence for someone else. Use your judgment!

While I waited for my zucchini noodles to sweat, I made my lovely sauce with a gob of clarified butter and some fresh peeled garlic cloves. I took about 6 small skinny ones and used maybe 1/4 cup of the butter, but it'll depend on the amount of garlic you like and the volume of zucchini noodles/ribbons you've acquired from your peeling. I softened the garlic in the butter and then buzzed them through my mini-processor before adding them back to the pan. I stirred in a splash of lemon juice and a few good shakes of black pepper. I had chopped chicken left over from my roasting chickens, so I tossed in a cup and a half of it and warmed it with the sauce. Then I took the zucchini, squeezed it dry, plopped it in a bowl (no real need to cook because it is already softened), and poured the chicken and sauce all over it. The garlic and lemon together were a terrific flavor combination!

I'd like to make it again, this time sauteeing some sliced mushrooms in the sauce and maybe wilting some spinach in there, too. I love my veggies!

Yum, yum and yum again. This sounds great. I'm thinking some cherry tomatoes and fresh basil too since that season is around the corner. Roasting a chicken now so that is what I'll be doing with some of the meat tomorrow. :)

Archived