Observations from my first Whole30 (3 days in)

bellarue

Hi, everyone. I started my first Whole30 three days ago on June 18. A couple of things I've learned in that short time:

• I am not a good cook. I undercooked my steak, overcooked my broccoli, and my sweet potato latkes were burned on the outside and semi-raw on the inside. Also, my cooking utensils suck. But instead of getting discouraged, I am actually enjoying the challenge of learning to cook at age 43. I can only get better, right?

• My allergy symptoms have improved. I miss the milk in my tea and half & half in my coffee, but I'd developed the habit of drinking several cups a day, gulping them down as fast as I could (stress?), and I almost always got the sniffles afterward. Now I'm savoring them, able to limit my choices to 1-2 cups, and no more sniffles. I also discovered that I really like rooibos tea, and it tastes great without milk and sugar.

• I've had no grain, sugar or dairy withdrawal, and I'm not as tired as I thought I'd be. I am still waking up at 2am each night, but it's only been three days.

• Eating only 3 meals per day is liberating! I don't have to lug a bunch of food to work every day, and I'm no longer obsessing over snacks.

• I am feeling true hunger, and it's not the oh-my-god-I-must-have-cookies ravenousness I've experienced in the past. I can be truly hungry and still take the time to prepare a meal because my blood sugar isn't jumping all over the place.

Some of these things I expected or hoped for from reading the book. What I didn't expect was to feel so relaxed and calm. I think it's my body's way of saying, "Thank You, Karen." :wub:

That's great, bellarue! The most striking thing for me has been the decrease in symptoms of my allergies/conditions, including my asthma and severe scalp psoriasis. In fact, this is the first fortnight I've gone without my steroids in 3 years!

I've had no grain, sugar or dairy withdrawal, and I'm not as tired as I thought I'd be.

Don't freak out if you do get withdrawal symptoms further down the line; I didn't have cravings until the end of the second week. As long as you have a plan for getting through it and a fridge full of healthy goodies you can beat the cravings if/when they appear!

I'm also on day 3.....and I am tired! I didn't want to get out of bed this morning. And I've had a bit of a headache. But for the most part I am surprised at how easy it has been. Please share your recipe for the sweet potato latkes!

Kmuthig, I pulled the latkes recipe off the Forum - not sure which subject it was under, but it's there somewhere! BTW, I made green curry with grass-fed beef last night and was much more successful. Got that one from the "It Stars With Food" book. Yum! Hope you are feeling better today :)

Day 6. Had Moroccan chicken last night and an egg scramble with strawberries and fried plantains for breakfast this morning. I might be getting the hang of this "cooking" thing! Alas, my utensils still suck. After 15 years in LA, it might be time to buy a new spatula....

Archived