Anyone Starting 3/11 (Monday)?

Jessica M.

I just went grocery shopping for meat. I am feeding myself and two boys, ages 14 and 10. I kinda follow the Well Fed template for our week. Melissa Joulwan recommends 4-6 oz per person per number of meals divided by 16 oz to yield how much meat per week is needed. For myself, that's 4oz times 21 meals/16 oz. I alone need 5.25 lbs. My kids are slightly different. They have breakfast and lunch at school so they are only 11 meals per week at home, so my oldest needs 4.125 lbs and my youngest, 2.75. I use boiled eggs for snacking because we all like them so my typical week looks like this for 12.125 lbs protein and eggs:

1.5 lbs London Broil (goes far for meals on steak night, then steak with egg and veggies day 2) - $12.25

2 lbs chicken thighs $6

3 lbs ground beef - $25

1 lb Chicken Sausages - $7

3 lbs Whole Chicken - $10

2 lbs Talapia - $10

2 dz eggs - $7

Total spent: $77.25

I buy my veggies at the grocery. They have in season farmer market veggies from locals there, so I grab that stuff and save some cash against the higher organic prices. Plus, now I pre plan my meals and steam-sauté veggies so I am not wasting so much produce.

Lol. I honestly didn't know my weekly total offhand as I have to go to a few different stores to grab my weekly supplies.

I look at it this way, if I am pre cooking Sunday, we don't typically have any meals out or unplanned meals. I think I am actually saving money for that alone!

I think my most successful action this 30 days was pre cooking Sunday. Due to Easter, I didn't have things prepared this week and I suffered for it. I either had to order breakfast out and/or took too much time between meals, which really threw me off. I stayed compliant, but it was tough!

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sort of nervous about being done.

The things I want the most are chocolate and red wine. Not sure which day to reintroduce that, lol.

I think I'll spend some time on the forums learning more about after the whole 30. I don't really miss dairy, so I'll probably wait a while to try that. Maybe I'll do wheat, or legumes first.

Can't believe we are almost done! I've been trying to brainstorm ways to incorporate what I have learned during my whole 30 into my lifestyle. I am already gluten intolerant, so definitely not reintroducing that! But I have been thinking of eating mostly paleo (but definitely gluten free) during the weeks, and then allowing some more grains and dairy on the weekends when I am home and not in as much control over what I eat. It's funny but I love the freedom and security that the whole 30 gives me that I can eat as much good food as I want and trusting the food on my plate! As far as reintroduction goes, I'm going to try my best to follow what's been laid out in iswf; however, I am going on a church camp this weekend and have already told the chef I have a gluten allergy and did not want to overwhelm the poor man with a long list of other things I'm "not allergic to but would love to stay away from." Hopefully it goes well!

Has anyone else been thinking about life post whole30?? Gonna check out the forum group for that as well!

Good luck on day 29 everyone!

I'm not completely sure what I will do post whole 30. I do know that I will have chips and salsa....my favorite on day 31. I will then probably add in the rest of the wheat slowly to see what was bugging my stomach. Then to dairy. I dont want to go back to being a binge eater, I love this way of eating so I hope to continue to stay close to the program.

Tveen, I too have thought about having a day of eating other things but it depends on how it make me feel.

Not many post lately, how many are still on the program for this March 11th group?

Day 29! I was away on a retreat this weekend and was able to stay compliant despite all the 'other' options around :) I was a little more confident with re-introduction a few days ago, but I'm a little wary now. My plan is following the iswf re-intro option, starting with dairy and such. I think, for me, it'll take a round or two more for all of this to really stick. I'll see how this next week goes, but I'm also thinking about starting another W30 April 15. Maybe see some of you again :)

Only a few days left! I haven't been online much this weekend, but I've stayed compliant. I think I ate a bad egg last week and my system has been trying to get past it for DAYS. Today I finally feel back to Whole30 normal (which is quite a bit different than pre-Whole30 normal!).

Oddly enough, I had nasty sugar cravings last night. Like obsessive ones. Like I actually thought about giving in, cravings! What is up with that? My body's last ditch effort to make me give in? Luckily, I quashed them with meatballs last night and today they appear to be gone. Phew!

I don't know what day 30 means for me. I went into this planning on a Whole60 but last night, I started thinking about using the last 30 days as a controlled reintroduction period. Then again, that might have been part of the sugar dragon's plan.

I do want to reintroduce legumes/beans as I've never done those, but other than that, there is not much I miss except the ability to eat out without being so vigilant. Oh, I also miss smoothies. I like making a veggie and fruit smoothie in the morning. I use just a single serving of whatever fruit, egg white protein powder, leafy greens and coconut milk. I particularly like them with kale and it's getting to be kale season around here. I can't decide if I can let smoothies back into my breakfast routine or not.

What I will say is that I'm fairly certain I haven't lost as much weight on this Whole30 as I did on the first two. I won't know for sure since I didnt' weigh at the start (and I probably wont' bother at the end either) but I only feel just slightly slimmer and last time, it was quite noticeable. While I say that this is not about the weight loss, I do need to lose weight. I'm really not sure how to handle that. Do I start to track again (I hope not!). I like eating this way because I feel in control of my food, I don't binge and the freedom from tracking is wonderful, but then, how do I lose some extra fat? Anyway, I'm not changing anything right away anyway. I'm going to give myself a whole 7 more days (after day 30) before I consider anything, to ensure that my plans are from rational thought and not from the lingering effects of a sugar dragon attack!

I do want to reintroduce legumes/beans as I've never done those, but other than that, there is not much I miss except the ability to eat out without being so vigilant. Oh, I also miss smoothies. I like making a veggie and fruit smoothie in the morning. I use just a single serving of whatever fruit, egg white protein powder, leafy greens and coconut milk. I particularly like them with kale and it's getting to be kale season around here. I can't decide if I can let smoothies back into my breakfast routine or not.

I agree with the going out thing. Up till I started my whole 30 I went on a date every Friday with my husband which usually included going out to dinner. I decided that I would not go out during my whole 30 at all so I didn't have to deal with figuring out what to order. Also I love smoothies with Kale and fruit and spinach....miss them, will probably add them back when time is short for breakfast.

Hi everyone - I must admit I have not done as well since Easter. I let myself slip with the jelly beans - the starburst variety and added in some dark chocolate. Not a good thing for me. I am still feeling fairly good, but last night on the eve of my last day, I drank two small-ish glasses of white wine. I had looked forward to it and really they didn't even taste that good to me. I really paid for it when I woke in the night and couldn't get back to sleep again.

Not sure how I will be handling the end, but I know I will continue to eat this way, and I see another Whole 30 in my near future, maybe starting the end of April? Not sure. I wish I had ended more strongly that I did, but I do know that I feel so much better and I must have lost some weight, although I haven't weighed myself yet.

Be well - I hope to see some of you as I intermittently check in on these boards. You have all made this more fun, and easier as you've shared your ups and downs.

Ruthanne

Oddly enough, I had nasty sugar cravings last night. Like obsessive ones. Like I actually thought about giving in, cravings! What is up with that? My body's last ditch effort to make me give in? Luckily, I quashed them with meatballs last night and today they appear to be gone. Phew!

Ugh, this was me yesturday too! I used roast chicken, and I made it, but barely. I've been suprisingly content and I haven't felt that intense draw to sugar this whole time. I wonder if it's knowing the end is so near? Too much fruit during the day? Whatever it was, it definitely shook my confidence in re-intro. I'm back to normal today, though, so hopefully things will stay calm for these last two days!

I haven't really missed wheat/gluten items, so I'll probably wait a while to try them again. Actually, I haven't missed dairy either, once I got used to black coffee. I thought I would miss cheese, but I haven't. We used to eat cheese and crackers while watching tv or movies as a family. Maybe since I'm not eating the crackers, I don't miss the cheese. I could try ice cream, but then I won't know if it's the dairy or the sugar.

I think I'll end up doing another whole 30 sometime soon, and basically eating very close to this the rest of the time anyway. The biggest hassle for me is avoiding all the additives, flavorings, etc. they are in EVERYTHING! My big challange is going to be guiding the rest of the family to this way of eating. My husband thinks this is just some other diet I'm doing, and is not willing to give up his "healthy" yogurt, granola, brown rice, etc. Funny, huh, he's about 40 pounds overweight, and I'm in the normal weight range for my height. I didn't do this to lose weight (although I can tell I've lost a little by how my clothes feel) I did this because I was having bloating, pain and irregularity.

I totally had the cravings too yesterday! What's up with that? I squashed them as well. I have stayed compliant.

Post W30, I plan to stay Paleo. My fridge, life, and body is now set to the W30 way, so why stop now? I think Paleo just gives you a tad more freedom with food options. I will be checking the forum and this thread, I'm hoping to see updates from y'all. I do believe I will be doing another full W30 in the very near future. I'm guessing within the next week or two.

I'm feeling so much better now that the sugar cravings have past. Phew!

Last night I was having a discussion with my husband over dinner about his health and his eating habits. I told him that I don't expect him to do a whole30 but that I really think he needs to improve his diet. He needs to eat more veggies and less sugar. He calls himself 'paleo' but yet he eats cookies! Maybe I need to make him more of the grain free versions to keep him out of the store-bought ones? The problem is, I have zero trouble resisting store bought cookies but if I were to make grain-free versions, I would be sorely tempted. Maybe I need to be tested for his benefit?

I'm feeling good today. I've been branching out a bit with recipes over the past few days and it's been fun (and delicious!).

Well folks, we did it!!!!

I'm excited to weigh myself tomorrow.

I'm going to eat chocolate tomorrow, and have a glass of red wine. Otherwise I'll eat as usual.

I'll try either gluten or legumes this weekend when DH is home in case it makes me really sick.

Is anyone else planning to reintroduce something?

I'm excited to weigh myself tomorrow.

Me too. A little nervous though, since my clothes seem to fit the same. Oh well. Maybe I'll get there next W30. I am sleeping better and my stomach has been much calmer than usual. I'm going to try dairy tomorrow and some wine this weekend. Basically a week off and then W30 again.

Yeah, no weigh-in for me. I'm excited to see how you all did, though...so please post your results here!!

I am wearing a smaller size bra today (one of two that I've kept in the back of my drawer) and it definitely fits so I've clearly gotten smaller in some areas (go figure). I think my legs are slightly smaller too, based on how my pants fit. What is weird is that I am clearly still holding on to some weight/fat in my middle. This is VERY odd for me..that's usually the first place I lose! I fear it may be related to my age. I'm 45 and my mom started perimenopause at 44...so it may be time. Ugh.

Feeling good today! I may reintroduce legumes next week but I want to give myself another week of clean eating before I do. :-)

Ok, after snubbing the scale for 30 days, here it goes... -5 pounds! I have gained an uncomfortable 10 the past year on a new BCP putting me at my highest ever. I think that's why I can't feel/see the -5. Honestly though, I'm thrilled. I'm about 25lb from a good weight for myself, so chipping away 5 at a time is grand. I was going to W30 again regardless, but seeing a tangible result really boosted my spirits about it all.

I have a good idea of things to fine tune next round - less nuts/fruit, more water and more veg at breakfast. And perhaps a log in the log forum. I'm still getting the hang of prepping for the week and will try some new recipes to mix things up. I'm determined to get hubby to want to join me, so that motivates a lot of my cooking. Got to try and make veggies look tempting! :)

Ok so today I weighed myself...down 8 pounds, 5 inches. I ate a clean breakfast of bacon and eggs. Then had some chocolate....tasted nasty.

Went to Mexican as planned...chips and salsa where good. Ordered the chicken fajitas but they just weren't what I remembered. I think that I like my own cooking better. Stayed away from rice and sour cream because I am not ready to introduce that yet. Got full pretty quick and the waiter forgot to bring me my corn tortillas for the fajitas but I was ok with that.

Going to add wheat in slowly and dairy. I plan to stay pretty close to the plan. I will do another whole 30 after I get back from my trip to California about mid May.

Next time, no nuts and watch fruit. Nuts are too easy for me to go crazy on as well as fruit.

Boy, it sounds like we all are having common experiences.

I am also down 8 pounds. Hooray!

I tried a special ghiradelli dark chocolate with caramel filling---and blech! The filling tasted so artificial. I tried some Aldi dark chocolate, and that was good. I also enjoyed some wine. Too much, because I had a horrible night sleep. Today I have eaten compliant except for a few pieces of chocolate.

I plan to try beans and corn this weekend.

I need to take a good look at the calendar to determine when to begin another whole 30. Like some of you have said, with fewer nuts, and more variety and planning in the cooking. I had a lot of curries this time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Was planning to do a second Whole 30 starting March 15th, then I thought, why start on a Friday?! Anybody starting 3/11?

I had my totally-new-to-the-Paleo-thing first Whole30 Jan 2-Feb 15 (made it a Whole 44 1/2). It was a moderate success but I have a long way to go, so back to it.

YES, A group of friends and I are starting today! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

Archived