Blast off!

broccoli<3

Hubby & I had been eating Paleo-ish for the past few weeks before starting a Whole 30 on March 1st.

So far having troubles with snaking (mainly just after meals). Initially it's been on dried meat, fruits and nuts but today I steamed up a few cups of broccoli and scoffed that. Seems to have done the trick. I am a food volume person.

Coincidentally the last 2 nights I've slept better. Getting to bed by 10:30pm, asleep by 11pm and waking up just before 7am. Up just once in the night to pee :)

Today I chowed down on:

8am Breakfast: 2 eggs, 3 mushrooms, handful cherry tomatoes, cooked in coconut oil, green smoothie (spinach, celery, 1/2 pear, ginger root, carrot juice, lemon juice, parsley)

1pm Lunch: laab (ground beef & pork), romaine lettuce, grated carrot, coconut oil

Right after lunch still munchy: 6 macadamias, blackberries, 2 cups steamed broccoli (maybe salad not enough veg?)

6:30pm Dinner: Sausage and cabbage stew

• Moderators

My guess is that you are not eating enough protein and maybe not enough fat. You don't describe your portion sizes overall, but 2 eggs is not enough protein at breakfast. The meal template guideline is the number you can hold in one hand. I bet you can hold at least 3. If you are eating similarly light at lunch and dinner, you are not getting enough and that would explain wanting snacks.

I kind of think you aren't eating enough veggies either. I am a food volume person too. I have 2-3 cups of veggies with each meal. The thing that is really cool about this program is that you get to eat. Really eat. Like Tom said...bump it to at least 3 eggs. I can hold 4. :0)

Thankyou :)

I'll try upping my eggs and veggies with breakfast. For lunch & dinner I feel like I do eat a heap of veggies (e.g. 1 heart of romaine, 1 grated carrot, 2 green onions & a handful of cilantro with lunch then 2 cups cabbage, asparagus & a small bit of sweet potato with dinner). Protein wise I had about 6oz ground meat with lunch and 1 large pork sausage for dinner. I cook each meal with 1 heaped teaspoon of ghee or coconut oil. Does that sound OK? I'm 5'5" and 125lb.

Thankyou

I'll try upping my eggs and veggies with breakfast. For lunch & dinner I feel like I do eat a heap of veggies (e.g. 1 heart of romaine, 1 grated carrot, 2 green onions & a handful of cilantro with lunch then 2 cups cabbage, asparagus & a small bit of sweet potato with dinner). Protein wise I had about 6oz ground meat with lunch and 1 large pork sausage for dinner. I cook each meal with 1 heaped teaspoon of ghee or coconut oil. Does that sound OK? I'm 5'5" and 125lb.

It actually sounds pretty good. However, I think I always have to have 8oz of protein. Yes, 6 oz is about a palmful, but you can double it if need be. I rarely need to double it but the smaller amount is just too small for me. I am 5' 6" and probably weigh 125-130ish. I find that if I start with a big breakfast, the rest of my day goes better as far as energy and hunger goes.

Are you truly hungry or is it more of a snacky habit. Ask yourself if you could eat steamed fish and broccoli. If yes, then eat. :)

Did a little better today - no snacking between meals! I did shove some extra food in my gob straight after lunch & dinner... not ideal? But at least the hubs and I stuck to 3 meal times (8am, 1pm, 6pm).

8am Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled in coconut milk, 3 mushrooms & a handful of cherry tomatoes cooked in ghee, green smoothie (spinach, celery, 1/2 pear, ginger root, carrot juice, lemon juice, parsley).

1pm Lunch: 2.5 beef & spinach muffins (well fed), big green salad with homemade vinaigrette.

Straight after lunch: small handful of nuts, small piece chorizo.

6pm Dinner: 5oz chicken breast, 1/2 red bell pepper & 2 baby bok choy in ‘sunshine sauce' (well fed) on 1/2 cup cauliflower rice cooked in coconut oil & garlic, 1 cup broccoli drizzled with sesame oil.

Straight after dinner: 6 dried apricots, teaspoon almond butter.

Felt great until 4pm then got quite tired.

So far today...

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled in coconut milk, 3 mushrooms & a handful of cherry tomatoes cooked in ghee, green smoothie (spinach, celery, 1/2 pear, ginger root, carrot juice, lemon juice, parsley).

Early lunch @ 11:30am: massive salad (mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, snap peas, brussel sprouts, asparagus, 2 palm portions of chicken, 1 tbsp olive oil) then 4 dried apricots and a small handful of nuts.

Feeling quite full, but not uncomfortable. Might not eat again till after 6pm so it's good to know I've eaten plenty now!

Stayed full and productive until 5pm then snacked on baby carrots, olives and chorizo on the way to an after-work get together. At the bar I sipped a soda water with lime and didn't give the happy hour snacks a second glance. Would have loooved a vino tho!

Made it home by 7:30 and whipped up some sausages in an Italian tomato sauce with kale and onions, a big tray of broccoli roasted in coconut oil (amazing!) plus a small scoop of sweet potato mash.

8am Breakfast: 3 egg omelet with ground chorizo & brussle sprouts, green smoothie

2pm Lunch: 3 lamb & spinach muffins (well fed), big green salad with homemade vinaigrette

Straight after lunch: 3 brazil nuts, 4 dried apricots

6:30pm Dinner: 7oz salmon, cauliflower rice, roasted asparagus & carrots

Was good & hungry before each meal but did not feel the urge to snack in-between them!

The past few night I have definitely fallen asleep easier but I'm still waking up around 3-4 am and needing to pee. Tonight I'm going to have my last fluids (chamomile tea) 2hrs before bed time to see if that helps.

8am Breakfast: 2 eggs cooked in ghee, sweet potato hash, green smoothie

1pm Lunch: laab (ground pork), romaine lettuce, grated carrot, green onions, coconut oil

3:30pm Snack: chorizo, olives, baby carrots

6pm Dinner: Beef meatballs in tomato & kale, sweet potato mash, romaine lettuce with homemade vinaigrette

We're out to a 30th birthday party tonight - must stay strong!

Did well at the party! I was definitely a little bummed out when I saw the epic booze table that was set up, but I sipped a few glasses of water and then totally forgot about drinking once I got chatting with people.

Todays eats...

8am Breakfast: eggs in purgatory (2 eggs cooked in ghee, canned tomatoes cooked down with leftover meatballs, garlic & herbs), green smoothie

1pm Lunch: laab (ground pork), romaine lettuce, grated carrot, green onions, cilantro

After lunch: small handful nuts

6pm Dinner: chicken & leeks cooked in coconut oil, roasted brussle sprouts, cauliflower mash with coconut milk

After dinner: 2 dried apricots, 2 slices dried apple

Still feeling 'munchy' but I can feel my belly is full so I'm sipping lemon ginger tea and focusing on other things.

Today was the first that I didn't feel like I wanted to eat between meals, especially after dinner. I upped my food a tiny bit - maybe a little breakthrough?

8am Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled in coconut milk, 3 mushrooms & 1 tomato cooked in ghee, 1/4 avocado, green smoothie

1pm: chicken & leeks, cauliflower mash w/ coconut milk, 10 baby carrots, 3 slices chorizo, 2 olives

6:30pm Dinner: 1 hot turkey sausage cooked in diced tomatoes & 3 cups kale with curry powder & coconut milk

After dinner: 2 dried apricots, 2 slices dried apple

Feeling full, satisfied and not all 'mouth hungry' like I usually am after dinner.

I was hungry all day today. I feel like I have eaten way too much food, maybe it's just because I have been thinking about food all day. I did manage to avoid snacking on dried fruit so am pleased about that.

8am Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled in coconut milk, 3 mushrooms & 1 tomato cooked in 1 tsp ghee, green smoothie

1pm Lunch: 1 cup ground beef bolognaise on 1 cup spaghetti squash cooked in 1 tsp coconut oil, 1/2 head romaine drizzled in 1 tsp olive oil, handful raw nuts

3:30pm Snack: 1 can diced tomatoes cooked down with curry powder, 1 egg, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 head broccoli

7:30pm Dinner: 9oz chicken breast cooked in 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1/2 sweet potato (fries), 1 head broccoli

After dinner: 1/2 banana with 2 tsp almond butter

Found it hard to focus on work as I was always thinking about being hungry... back to a bigger breakfast tomorrow.

Great day! Happy busy and productive. Felt full and satiated all day. A nice feeling after the angst of yesterday :)

7am Breakfast: 3eggs scrambled in coconut milk, 3 mushrooms & 1 tomato cooked in 1 tsp ghee, green smoothie

1pm Lunch: 4oz chicken breast in 1 tsp coconut oil, plate of lettuce drizzled in 1 tsp olive oil, a few slices of chorizo

7:30pm Dinner: 4oz meatballs in a tomato and kale sauce, 1/2 yam mashed in coconut milk & ghee, 1/2 head broccoli

After dinner: 3 dried apricots

Another good day plus dinner out (Whole30 style) for our 4 year wedding anniversary :wub:

8am Breakfast: 3eggs scrambled in coconut milk, 3 mushrooms & 1 tomato cooked in 1 tsp ghee, green smoothie

1pm Lunch: 1 cup ground beef bolognaise on 1 cup spaghetti squash cooked in 1 tsp coconut oil, 1/2 head romaine drizzled in 1 tsp olive oil

3:30pm Snack: Handful raw nuts, baby carrots, red bell pepper sticks

7:30pm Dinner: We headed out to Local 360 for our anniversary dinner. Loved it! They do whole, sustainable, locally sourced food and were super accomodating. We had some great eats: To start we split the pork belly (never had it before, omg!) Then I chowed down on braised rabbit leg while hubby had a epic looking wood grilled pork chop. We had huge servings of collared greens and brussle sprouts on the side. Delish!

We'll definitely be heading back. If you are in Seattle, go there.

8am Breakfast: 3eggs scrambled in coconut milk, 3 mushrooms & 1 tomato cooked in 1 tsp ghee, green smoothie

1pm Lunch: 4oz meatballs in a tomato and kale sauce, 1/2 yam mashed in coconut milk & ghee, lettuce drizzled in 1 tsp olive oil, a few slices of chorizo

7:30pm Dinner: 6oz chicken in almond butter curry, cauliflower rice, broccoli

After dinner: handful raw nuts, 3 dried apricots

I'm feling great in the mornings (and I've never been a morning person) but I still getting super tired around 4pm each day. Normally I'd have a coffee and some dried fruit as a pick-me-up ... but I now see the error of my caffine + sugar fueled afternoons. Tomorrow I'll try heading out for a walk or doing a bit of yoga instead of applying a food band-aid!

Hump day! Halfway thru & feeling great. We started daydreaming a little about which bottle of wine we're going to open for our reintriduction ... (yes, vino will be the first thing ^_^ hehe).

8am Breakfast: fritatta with 2 eggs, 1 sausage & cauliflower, 1/4 avocado on the side - yummo!

1pm Lunch: 2 beef & spinach muffins (well fed), big green salad with avocado dressing

5pm Snack: Handful baby carrots, 2 tsp almond butter (naughty, didn't need it)

6:30pm Dinner: 6oz chicken in almond butter curry, cauliflower rice, broccoli

After dinner: 3 dried apricots

8am Breakfast: fritatta with 2 eggs, 1 sausage & cauliflower, green smoothie

10:30am Snack: Handful of nuts

1pm Lunch: chipotle chicken & sweet potato hash, big green salad with avocado dressing

5:30pm Snack: Handful baby carrots while cooking dinner

6pm Dinner: 7oz salmon with baby bok choy, red bell pepper and asparagus

After dinner: 3 dried apricots, 1/2 banana with almond butter

Tonight I'm cutting myself off from drinking any fluids after 7pm. Every night I wake up at exactly 2am needing to pee! Then I wake up again at 5am, 6am and then finally at 7am when I get up. I'm usually in bed by 10:30 and asleep by 11pm.

It's wierd... I sleep in 2 x 3hr blocks, then 2 x 1hr blocks.

Whole 30 has been great for getting me into bed and asleep, now I just need to figure out how to STAY asleep!

1pm Lunch: coconut curry chicken & sweet potato hash, big green salad with avocado dressing

3:30pm Snack: Baby carrots, handful of nuts, 1 chorizo meatball

5:30pm Snack: Munched on raw cabbage while cooking dinner

6pm Dinner: 6oz pork chop, braised cabbage, roasted asparagus, small serving sweet potato mash

No after dinner snack, but I have been snacking in the afternoons again. Not because I'm hungry but out of old habits... it doesn't help that at the moment we live in a tiny apartment and the fridge is literally right behind me! But no excuses, I'll redouble my efforts tomorrow, I really want to beat this thing!

Sleep: Last night I slept thru till 3am instead of 2am so that was a improvement. Then I woke up again at 5am, 6am and finally at 7am. Let's see what tonight brings...

7:30am Breakfast: 3eggs scrambled in coconut milk, 3 mushrooms & 1 tomato cooked in 1 tsp ghee, green smoothie

12pm Lunch: 2.5 beef & spinach muffins (well fed), big green salad with homemade vinaigrette

Straight after lunch: still hungry so steamed half a bag of frozen green beans and tossed them in olive oil - nom!

7pm Dinner: 6oz pork chop, braised cabbage with coconut oil

I was out and away from my desk all afternoon and didn't think about snacking at all. I wasn't even that hungry at dinner time. Maybe the distraction of being away from the house? Maybe the massive serving of green beans?

8am Breakfast: 3 eggs, 3 mushrooms, 2 tomatoes, small scoop sweet potato mash, green smoothie

12pm Lunch: 1.5 cups beef tagine on a bed of baby spinach, 2 cups roasted cauliflower

7pm Dinner: 2 x sausage and 1/2 bunch kale ragu, roasted asparagus

Crazy busy day but my energy levels stayed solid and I didn't get hungry once between meals - BOOM!

Archived