Finished Whole30 - what to do for vacation/birthday?

am1473

I just finished my first Whole30 and am feeling great. I had some positive effects right away but due to a thyroid issue I wasn't seeing major benefits (and weight loss) until just this last week. I will continue with the program indefinitely, however, I have a bit of a conundrum. My 40th birthday is next week, I'm going on vacation to celebrate and I have already decided that I will eat the occasional dessert and drink wine.

So... do I do reintroduction now, go on vacation and start another Whole30 afterwards or do I continue Whole30(40) up to vacation, not worry about it on vacation, resume Whole30 habits when I return and do the reintroduction after my Whole60/90/etc...? Not sure which is the better method, if there is a difference.

Both ways can be successful, it just really depends on you and how you handle things and which way is less likely to set off old triggers. Tom always says that his first W30 lasted for a LONG time, because he was so happy with what he was eating that he never felt compelled to eat anything off plan.

Personally, I think it's important to know how you're going to react to certain food groups, lest you get totally sidelined with stomach stuff while you're on vacay. I think that's a big justification for doing reintro now, but one isn't strictly better than the other!

I am kind of in the same conundrum, as in finished my whole 30, though no plans to reintroduce because i like how my "whole" foods taste and how i feel. however, i am going on a family vacation (albeit not until april) to some resort in the bahamas. i am a bit nervous about how i will survive. i am thinking i will attempt to stay as compliant as i can and bring dry goods that will supplement my diet (coconut flakes, raw nuts of sorts). i cannot imagine that any vacation spot would not bake a piece of meat sans sauces/oils... for a customer. as for vegetables, i guess the default is salad????

Btw, celebrating does not have to equate with food and alchohol. There are massages, manis and pedis, and shopping :) or activities that involve and are unique to said vacation spot. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I think it's important to know how you're going to react to certain food groups, lest you get totally sidelined with stomach stuff while you're on vacay. I think that's a big justification for doing reintro now, but one isn't strictly better than the other!

I agree; even if it you just decide that nothing is worth it, you'll know in advance. It'll give you a better framework for off-roading and minimize unplanned stomach aches.

Archived