Water Kefir?

Evelyn Benchimol

Oh I just realized you didn't specify "coconut water kefir" - that is just what I had in my mind. I have made water kefir from the grain like culture before with fruit juices as well and while I haven't had them on w30, I still think it's just like Kombucha. In a kombucha thread a lady mentioned using a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity to be sure the sugar is out- but I've not gotten that scientific.

• Moderators

Yes, but let's talk about some conditions. Water kefir can be kind of sweet. If you have a serious sugar dragon, drinking water kefir may be not okay for you personally because it may keep you hungry for sweet stuff. If you don't have a sugar dragon, water kefir is a good source of probiotics.

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/water-kefir-versus_kombucha-tea is a good discussion of the differences between water kefir and kombucha.

I used to make water kefir years ago when I first gave up dairy. I remember it as being much sweeter than the kombucha I make now. To be honest, although that was long before I heard of W30, it was because it was so sweet that I stopped making it.

The water kefir grains I have would eat the sugars out of a quart of apple juice so fast it would dang near turn into hard cider if I wasn't careful. Makes me wonder about y'all getting sweet stuff?? Maybe I was doing it wrong.

Thank you all for the responses!

Luckily I don't have a sugar dragon and my water kefir is never sweet (I let it ferment for longer than most maybe or my grains are really good at eating up all the sugar). I do it for the probiotics not the sweetness, never drink fruit juices and such so it won't be a substitute for other W30 non compliant drinks. I was doing raw milk kefir smoothies before my W30 so this is just something I want to have to keep my probiotics up (already do fermented vegs).

I stopped making water kefir because my grains were eating up all the sugar so fast I couldn't keep up with it. It would turn alcoholic if left for even 24 hours too long. Not that that was a bad thing- I would find that fizziness quite enjoyable postw30!

• 2 months later...

Jumping into an old "thread" here. I have evolved from cow milk kefir to goat milk kefir to water kefir, which I what I presently do for the probiotic benefits. My kefir is never sweet and I always mix it with something else....well, that something else may be going away while I am on my first Whole30, starting Monday. My question is, if it isn't sweet any more (can't feed sugar dragon), does that make it okay to consume during Whole30? Does Whole30 replace the need for a kefir probiotic treatment?

I'm jumping in here...and I'm going to show my ignorance - I have no idea what kefir or Kombucha is - I sort of ignored it since the naturopath had put me on her special probiotics. Prior to whole30, I did yogurt(and I know how to make that), but I am nondairy now.

I LOVE saurkraut - and I'm looking carefully to find one that is whole30 compliant - but after reading this thread, knowing the need for probiotics in my system, I am wondering if I am doing myself a disservice to not be checking these other options out.

As an aside - it was suggested that I go on the GAPS diet - full of fermented foods - and I convinced them(dr and nutritionist) to let me do whole30 - because I knew I wasn't planning on learning how to ferment my own stuff.

Before I dive into some sort of processing equipment and such - is there anything I can purchase at the grocery store that would give me the idea if I even want to pursue this, or is, as in so many situations with Whole30, the commercially available all tainted?

And, is this what water kefir is:

http://nourishedkitchen.com/water-kefir/

TIA

If you have access to Whole Foods or other natural food store you can probably purchase completely compliant Kombucha, Water Kefir, and raw fermented veggies. As far as getting processing equipment here is the good news. Mason jars. Really that is it. I personally have not gotten started on my own fermenting projects (kombucha is first on the list) but from everything I have read it is pretty easy just takes some patience.

Physibeth....IF ONLY!

Actually, there are wfs in the area...just 45 minutes away either direction.

I'd like to try it before I go to the effort to try and make it! I need to head to the whole foods store anyway...I'll check it out when I pick my hubby up from the airport...Hi honey, welcome home, we have to go grocery shopping before we go home! ;-)

I was used to having wholefoods almost in our back yard...what a waste. I did not utilize that gift like I should have!

For making my cultured (fermented) vegetables, I went with specially designed jars from http://www.pickl-it.com/. The jar has an venting mechanism on top for allowing fermentation gasses to escape without allowing air in. Pretty slick. Once I have made a batch of cultured vegetables, I store them in Mason jars. I keep it simple...red cabbage, carrots, and caraway seed. Next batch will probably just be red cabbage. :-)

These jars look fantastic. I can't find anything like them in the UK. When I'm fermenting veg and it's burping away, I just put a plastic bag filled with water on top of the jar instead of a lid. It sits down and seals it but allows it to burp and stops the pressure building up.

I just put a plastic bag filled with water on top of the jar instead of a lid. It sits down and seals it but allows it to burp and stops the pressure building up.

awesome idea Kirsteen!!!

@ Physibeth...

Kombucha has a particular taste. I love it but for some reason I can never get my homemade one to fizz. I make it the continuous brew way so I always have it on hand. It's super easy to try but you need to get yourself a scoby (culture). you can buy one online. this site has TONS of info and a free video series http://www.getkombucha.com/

Water kefir has a particular taste as well. Mine is never sweet. My daughter says it tastes like beer, I don't think so ... my boys love it. again here super easy to make but you need the culture (kefir grains).

Fermented veg, SUPER easy to make. all kinds of info on the web. you will just need the veg, salt, water and a jar. i went all out my first time and did carrot sticks, cauliflower, string beans, sauerkraut. I suggest you start with carrots or string beans. they are just easy and you'll see if you get mold more easily. they need to be fully submerged and no air needs to get in there or you get white mold (not really dangerous, just skim off). leave a few days, burp jar (means you open cap and reseal), that's it! different recipes out there with spices, dill, garlic, ginger, etc... i also find sally fallen's recipes too salty so you can use a bit less salt or if you have access to whey (from raw milk) you can add that too. i find kraut is the most work cause you have to shred it and pound it and make sure it's always under the brine (arder when you have lots of small bits).

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2010/08/lacto-fermented-dilly-carrot-sticks.html

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/naturally-pickled-green-beans-recipe

etc

For making my cultured (fermented) vegetables, I went with specially designed jars from http://www.pickl-it.com/. The jar has an venting mechanism on top for allowing fermentation gasses to escape without allowing air in. Pretty slick. Once I have made a batch of cultured vegetables, I store them in Mason jars. I keep it simple...red cabbage, carrots, and caraway seed. Next batch will probably just be red cabbage. :-)

Please forgive my ignorance, but is pickling and fermenting the same thing? Or do you just use it for the fermenting aspect?

Kirsteen - I'm afraid that if I try this, I will forget to burp! So, I think your water idea would help!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived