Flu symptoms after spin & PWO meal

AngelaBP

I'm on Day 20 of my first Whole30. Spinning is my exercise of choice during the winter months. I dialed back my spin intensity when I first started my Whole30 and slowing ramped it back up to pre-Whole30 levels. I eat a small portion of protein before my evening spin class, sometimes adding a very small handful of cashews. I immediately follow spin with another small portion of protein then eat a Whole30 compliant dinner about 45 minutes after that. On several occasions, about 15 minutes after eating my dinner, I've experienced flu-like symptoms (nausea, full body achiness, my head feeling "bloated"). It's been so bad on two occasions that I've had to actually go to bed.

One meal consisted of pot-roast deer (lean, naturally fed), some sweet potatoes and carrots. Another meal was roast chicken with spring salad mix, tomatoes and a home-made balsamic vinaigrette.

I follow the same routine when I do my Saturday morning spin class: hard-boiled egg prior to class, small amount of jerky or another egg immediately after and then breakfast within the next 30-45 minutes. I've never experienced the symptoms after the morning spin.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I may be doing or how I may go about figuring out why this is happening? I've got spin class tonight and I'm actually feeling a little hesitant about going.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I may be doing or how I may go about figuring out why this is happening? I've got spin class tonight and I'm actually feeling a little hesitant about going.

Don't skip tonight's class, skip the pre-workout snack and see how you fare. That should give you some idea.

IMHO, you are eating too much and/or too soon before you workout.

Our bodies are amazingly effecient and can get by (effectively) on a lot less than many think. YMMV

jennrider, those are the questions I'm trying to sort through. I'm certain it's not water since I'll go through a full 32oz during spin alone. I drink regularly throughout the day.

I've been eating a scant 1/2-1 serving of protein prior and the same amount within 15 minutes post, being sure to stay away from high fat proteins in the PWO meal. The full meal that follows the PWO meal varies in fat content.

I think I'm going to stick with the pre-workout routine but will try first to eliminate the PWO-protein and stick to a regular meal as soon as possible after my evening spin class. I'll start with a low fat protein with my usual veggies and add avocado as my fat. I'll see how that works and then go from there.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm never able to eat right after I workout. I usually feel full and have to force a PWO snack down. My workouts generally fall between breakfast and lunch. On heavy workout days I make sure lunch is early and big. If I have a lot of running around to do then I will take a PWO snack with me, but I still can't eat it right away. Usually about 30-45 minutes later. Keep working on it until you find out what works for your body.

• 3 weeks later...

AngelaBP, I have had something very similar happen to me (not consistently, but more than once). I am glad you posted. I was trying to convince myself that maybe I did catch a mild version of the flu (the last time it happened I could barely function for 2 days with body aches, tired, and no appeitite b/c of nauseousness). I was in bed a good portion of those days. Now I am wondering if my body was going through some type of adjustment/reaction to the new diet patterns. Please post if you figure anything out. I am beyond 30 days, and still trying to figure out the Pre and Post workout meals.

Plus 1 for stillrollin's suggestion ..... Try skipping your pre WO meal on your evening class... If your following the templates, you should have plenty of gas to do a spin class...

I only eat pre WO early AM, just to signal my body to get moving and I usually only eat some good fats like coconut milk with MCT that convert quickly to energy without having to be processed by the liver first.....

A couple oz lean protein post should do you fine and then eat your last meal according to template

Archived