Stumbled on to this... Kinda terrified.... Everything else has failed

Riva Kaufer Rios

So I actually have no clue how I stumbled onto this Whole30 thing. Literally. I've poured over the website, downloaded the PDFs. And totally avoided even daring to contemplate a start date.

I've tried every diet there is and stuck to them like me life depended on it... Even a medical Elimination diet for a year while EXERCISING FIVE TIMES A WEEK. I put that in caps because the desperation can't quite be contained. By exercise I mean at least a 5k daily (walk then walk jog) and weights 3x week. I lost ONE INCH.... 7lbs. That's it. I could freaking cry typing this. I am 226 at 5'6". People are shocked when I tell them. All 32 nursing students in my flight guessed in between 175-180. I laughed and said I wish.

I did full on Paleo for six months. Lost about 12lbs. Had a bizarre muscle fatigue start. Scared me swimming in the lake one day badly. Gradually I just became depressed at what I thought was my final straw failing also.

I will be 35 in three weeks. I can't have this be the rest of my life. As a soon to be nurse I know the health issues I have in addition to obesity. Blood sugar bordering on prediabetic, cholesterol weird numbers. I have two little ones. The scale just keeps climbing.

So. Anyone out there resemble me even a little? Did this really work? Because even though doctors and skinny people don't believe me when I say I will stick to it by the letter... I will follow this plan if there is a glimmer of hope for me.

I know this post wasn't a cool upbeat kinda thing and maybe TMI? I've got nothing to lose by being honest. I just know something out there has to work. This can't be my life.

Hi Riva and welcome. Don't worry about your first post not being upbeat. If we were all happy with our lives we wouldn't ever see a need to start a W30. Just take a deep breath, and know that you will be doing the best thing possible for your body. For at least 30 days you will be concentrating on nourishing your body and giving it what it needs to do it's job of becoming healthy. Feel free to ask any questions you have or even to just come and vent. You'll find lots of support here. I wish you all the best, good luck

Riva-- don't give up. Read some more posts on the forum. Most people are afraid to start because they fear having to give up their favorite food or drink. Your only fear is not accomplishing your goal.

It may take more than 30 days for your body to adapt. But you will recurve all the support you need here.

Come on in!

Hi Riva, from what I've read on these forums, freaking out about weight loss (or lack thereof) seems to severely hinder weight loss! Try to drop that from the agenda for these next 30 days, and focus on nourishing and healing your body, instead of trying to beat it into submission. Take a break from the hard work of fighting your body and think about all the other positive health changes that you would like to see aside from weight loss. A lot of people seem to feel so much better after the 30 days, that weight loss becomes less of a desperate priority because they just FEEL GOOD - myself included :)

I really recommend reading It Starts with Food - it'll put you in the right mindset for the 30 days and give you fantastic guidance and explanations of the ins and outs/dos and don'ts of the program.

Good on you for jumping in and giving this a go, you'll be so glad you did :)

Riva, I was also very scared to think about giving up certain foods. I'm on Day 18 of my first Whole30 now and I don't even think about them. (Sometimes have a craving or feel sad that I am not soothing my feelings with food anymore, but this is a normal part of changing life this way.) I've said before, I'm very happy with the results of not weighing myself alone, and less than three weeks in seeing many benefits. I'm overweight and battling a number of chronic health issues also, that I've also tried "everything" for and given up in frustration or disgust.

So, give it a try. These forums are indeed a wonderful source of support. And the information and the plan are based on nothing more that eating real, good food, and letting that choice nourish and heal you. Which makes everything else easier and possible. There's really nothing to lose here except poor health and psychological frustration. You'll be very glad you did it.

Riva, I can 'hear' the desperation in your 'voice'. And I fully understand. I, too, spent years counting carbs, fats, grams, calories, points, and anything else it was possible to count. I would see some results, but they never lasted. Willpower was never something I lacked. If I set my mind to do something, I would stick to it exactly. Even my first Whole30, I was treating it as another 'diet'. It was something I would do for X amount of time, and then I would get back to eating all the foods I loved.

I spent half my time planning what I would eat when it was over. I didn't get the mindset, and I didn't read the book. It didn't take long before I was back on pizza and sugar and wine. But during those 30 days I had experienced some changes I hadn't thought possible, and when I went back to my old ways, the old problems crept back.

I have had arthritis in my knees for years. Some days, I would limp around work, unable to get moving again after sitting. I'd drive home and sit in my driveway crying because my knees hurt so bad I couldn't straighten them enough to get out of the car, let alone put weight on them and walk!

During that first Whole30, I felt by Day 12 that 'something' was different, but it wasn't until Day 18 that I realized what it was. I was pain-free for the first time in years. Of course, when the bad, old foods came back into my life, so did the pain. So I got serious, read the book and started again.

I had to change the way I looked at this program. It isn't a diet, although by following it, you will probably lose weight. Not everybody does, but not everybody needs to. I now see it as a way to reprogram my body, to reset it to the way it was designed to function. Our bodies were designed to eat fresh meats and lots of vegetation, in its natural form. The modern American diet consists of all kinds of GMO foods and processed junk we were never designed to eat. Once you start looking at food as fuel, and feeding your body the things it was designed for, the healing can begin. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. Thirty days may not be enough if you've been damaging your body for years, but it will be long enough to show you some of the positive changes that are possible. The first couple of weeks can be tough, as your body begins to detox and switch from a sugar burning machine into the fat burning machine it was meant to be.

I have done two more Whole30s, and am now on Day 66 of a Whole100. I've never felt better in my life. I am 57 years old and feel 20 years younger. No, that's wrong. I feel younger than I did when I was 20 years younger. I have even started adding exercise to my life, something I didn't think these stiff old joints would ever tolerate. But they aren't so stiff and old any more!

Let go of the fixation on weight. A number doesn't define you. instead, trust in the fact that if you only put good, healthy foods into your body, it will eventually start running the way it was meant to. It will begin to reset to the weight it should be. In the first 2 months of this Whole100, I have lost 17 lbs. I've never lost 17 pounds in that amount of time, on any diet. All I do is follow the meal template. I don't worry about calories or fat or cholesterol or anything. I just eat enough healthy, delicious, satisfying food to fill me and keep me satisfied until my next meal.

I have faith that if I go back to feeding my body the foods it was designed to eat, instead of the Frankenfoods we consume today, my body will respond by finding its optimal weight. It may not be the number that lurked in my head for years as my target, and I may never be a size 2. But I will wind up exactly where I need to be, and I will have enjoyed the ride. I am eating more delicious food than ever before. Foods with natural flavors and textures, not monochromatic, bland, junk that we process the nutrients out of, then add back in chemically.

You can do this, Riva! And we'll be here to help you every step of the way!

Congratulations Riva, this will change you. I have a feeling we will be seeing you upbeat in no time. If you can't tell yet, the forum will support you through this- it's amazingly helpful. I look forward to following your journey!

Wow! I didn't really expect any replies. I'm kind of shocked. And grateful. Thank you for taking the the time to respond to me and share with me your thoughts and struggles too.

I'm going to get the book today. Then after class I'm going to sit down with the shopping list and figure out what I can get on my next trip. Im not putting things off, I really can only grocery shop on certain days :/ I will plan my start date probably for the 18th, wish it was the 11th- ill see what I can do about going this weekend.

I have the feeling if I don't take this seriously and put effort into the planning AND execution that this would be just another 'diet attempt'. I want to change my relationship with food, not just have minor breakup with cheat meals.

I will keep posting on here and reading the tips and tricks you guys post... As well as your success stories!

It does require some pre-planning, some different shopping, and some cooking ahead. You are better off taking an extra week to get your game plan in place, than to be caught unaware and discourage yourself before you even get started. You will require much more food than you thought possible. Many of us had to make emergency grocery trips the first couple of weeks. I would look at my refrigerator full of produce after shopping and think to myself, "Wow. What a waste of money. I'll never eat all that before it goes bad!" Then I'd be amazed the following week that I had only a lemon and half an onion left. LOL

Hi Riva, told you you'd find lots of support here :) I think it makes absolutely perfect sense to put some time into planning beore you start and reading the book so you understand the science behind it all. Another thing I found very helpful was signing up for the daily emails, they really helped motivate me. Good luck and let us know how you get on

You can do it Riva! I just started on March 4th and so far, it's easier than I thought it would be. I just keep telling myself "its only 30 days, you can do anything for 30 days". I signed up for the daily emails as well and they are fantastic! They are full of great tips and also remind you that's its typical to feel tired and have cravings, especially in the first few weeks, etc. They are really helping to keep me motivated too. I'm overweight and have chronic issues as well. I've always been the type to say, " well I'll just have a little, what could it hurt" or "I've already eaten this bad food, so I may as well blow my diet and start over tomorrow" Just the fact that already I am not thinking about food nearly as much is huge. It is freeing to know that I am only going to be eating certain things for 30 days. Just wanted to let you know my thoughts as a newbie. Good luck!

Riva:

Four words can turn your desperation into determination: I. Can. Do. This.

And once you say that, there's no stopping you! For realz.

It's not easy to turn your back on a lifetime of bad patterns, but you can do it. We all came here looking for something better.

I'm barely more than a newbie myself, but what I learned from my Whole30 was more valuable than anything I got from 20+ years of therapy and dieting!!!

Good luck!! Keep us posted.

Hi Riva,

Late to the party here. You can so do this.

I can totally relate to your story. I am 36. I am 5'9". Back in July 1st of 2012 I weighed in at 255lb. That was a big eye opener. People would look at me with disbelief if I told them. Personally, I was mortified. But with a big sigh I told myself that this was my starting point. Everyone has a starting point. But within a month and a half I went down 6lbs just by going dairy free. And I felt better. I just happened upon Paleo and the whole 30 just by accident. Ordered the book and then couldn't wait to start. I took it to 40 days.

I had felt the best than I had in my entire life. Chronic health issues, that I thought were just part of my life - disappeared. The only one that I am still working through is migraines. But they are so much better than they were (6 hours every 6 weeks compared to 3 to 5 days once maybe twice a month)

Feb 24 2013 I weighed in at 228lbs. March 2 was my 3rd whole 30 start date. So take a deep breath relax. You can do this. My key to success is to be organized. On Sunday afternoon I make sure that I have a breakfast for a good prtion of the week (think large fritata that will last several days) a lunch (nice sized salad with protein, nuts and raisins for extra crunch and sweetnes, side apple, and side olives) a dinner plan (this helps a lot).

Archived