Too much fruit?

I'm on day 23 of my whole 30. (first time posting!)

I do as much meal prep as I can possibly fit into my schedule without losing sleep.

(An average day for me is 4 hours at school and 9 hrs at work.)

On average I end up bringing myself one to two full meals, and a few snacks.

My snacks are generally seaweed, kale chips, and pieces of fruit. Sometimes I'll make a smoothie as well (in a bind).

Here's my question. On an average day I'm intaking at least one sweet potato, and two to three pieces of fruit.

Am I eating too much fruit?

I do get variety of fruit (pears, oranges, cantaloupe, apples, bananas, etc), and I don't generally repeat the same fruit in a day, but I still feel like I'm eating too much? It'd just so portable and easy to carry around...

without seeing what else you're eating it's hard to know, but I believe the general guidelines is 1-2 pieces as part of your meal, not as a snack. Snacks should mimic the meal template and contain fat and protein. Fruit is convenient and very portable but shouldn't crowd out other nutrient dense veggies, I'm a big salad fan. Roasted broccoli and cauliflower are easy to grab and go. As fas as smoothies go, they are discouraged on a W30. That's a really easy receptacle for way too much fruit depending on what you're tossing in the blender. I was a big green smoothie fan pre W30 and letting go of that was really hard for me. I kept reminding myself that it was better to eat my spinach than drink it.

Check the thread on this forum, I think it was called "snacks that are not fruits or nuts". There a lot of great ideas how to prepare mini meal to have on the go. Most popular are egg cups, cut veggies with sauce, hard boiled eggs. You can keep it simple. You can get really creative here - roll spinach in chicken breast /bake/cut or stuff mushroom cap or wrap any veggie in ham/prociutto/large sundried tomatoes. It takes time to plan and prepare but it's worth the effort I think.

Good luck.

i'm presently receiving the whole 30 emails... I think I'll invest in the book this week.

I would absolutely recommend reading the book. It explains the rationale behind all the W30 rules and the science behind them. Yet it's not at all heavy going, it's very readable and once you read it, everything does seem to 'click' and fall into place. It just makes so much sense. Good luck

Archived