I'm a runner and I need help figuring out how much to eat!

dianavuong

So, I'm a runner who typically runs about 6 miles/day, 6 days/week. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, but in the next coming months, I plan on increasing my mileage as I will be gearing up for marathon training.

My question involves how much I should be eating. I usually run in the mornings before breakfast or in the afternoons around lunch time. I'm assuming that I should be eating a Pre-Workout meal before I head out the door but is it necessary to have a post-workout meal since I will be eating my breakfast or lunch shortly after?

I'm trying to cut down as much body fat and lean out as much as possible. I'd like to be able to have by body switch to being more efficient at fat burning. I was heavily reliant on carbs in the past. I'm not sure I would consider my workouts to be intense as I generally run in my aerobic zone but usually at the upper end of it, sometimes bordering anerobic.. So I'm usually about 75-80% Max Heart Rate.

I try to follow the three meals/day template but sometimes will need a small snack between lunch and dinner. Does this seem about right? Also, for protein source, do you guys usually eat a single chicken breast or eat half? Some chicken breasts can get pretty big, coming in about 6-8 ounces.

Thanks for all of your help. I'm new, nervous, and am so glad that you guys are so supportive.

I wish there was a simple answer like "eat this for meal one, that for meal two and this for meal three" and you will see remarkable results. Unfortunately, we are all different and what and how much we need when in training is different for everyone. That said, I can say that almost every runner/athlete on this forum eats sweet potatoes. I try to eat them every day. As far as how much protein goes, it depends on your size, your activity level and your appetite. It's definitely a trial and error kind of thing when you are starting a whole30 and training.

It took me a few weeks to figure out the right balance for me during my first whole30. I was training for a half marathon at the time and ran it on day 30. I'd love to report that I PR'd, but alas, I did not. However, I don't think it was food/energy related though. It was a blistering hot, humid and sunny day and there was NO shade along the course. I was a puddle of sweat. I did run a half PR in October though and felt AWESOME the entire race. Never hit a wall.

Sorry I can't offer more precise advice, but you can do it! Just make sure to get plenty of veggies, enough protein and healthy fats-I found that when I didn't have enough fat, my energy plummeted. Half an avocado does the trick for me! Good luck with your whole30 and your training. What marathon are you running?

Archived