Need some quick advice re: storebought beef broth/stock.

The Captain

I know, I know, homemade bone broth is infinitely better, and I do plan on making some soon! But I don't have any on hand right now, and would lovd to sip on some warm hot broth to try and settle a long day of nausea. Was planning to run to the store (local organic stores/co-op not open right now, so it's just the regular grocery) and pick up some boullion, but my limited online search only turned up products with sugar and/or soy.

Are there any widely available, compliant pre-made stocks/broths/boullions? Bonus if they're decent enough to sip straight.

Alternatively, does anyone have recommendations for the nausea? Ginger and mint are doing nothing for me right now.

Thanks!

I have not looked for beef, but found chicken and veg. I think one of them is Imagine, but that box doesn't look like the one I can see in my cupboard right now. I didn't sip them straight, as ginger, fizzy things, and kombucha got me straightened out. Some days, relief was quick, other days not-so-much. Around day 12, my belly issues went away, though.

Read the labels and watch for the ingredients that shouldn't be there. Your store will probably have something.

• Moderators

The only okay broth I found regularly was the Imagine brand at Whole Foods. And many of the offerings from Imagine had added sugar, but I could find at least one chicken and one beef that was okay. I can't remember ever finding a compliant broth at a regular grocery store.

Kombucha helps me when my stomach gets upset. A little kombucha in a glass and then fill the rest with sparkling water.

The only drawback is that it's cold and sounds like you want something hot.

Ginger tea helps me when I have a sour stomach. Boil some fresh ginger slices in hot water for at least 10 mins. For an even stronger flavor I let it go for 20 mins. Remove the ginger and let it cool a little before drinking (unless you like your drinks really hot). Sometimes I will add fresh lemon juice. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Not sure where you are, but on the off chance you're in the central PA area, Giant's organic store brand vegetable broth is compliant (but not the chicken or beef). I second the idea for ginger tea, though - that's my go-to for cramps or nausea, even before I found whole30.

A blend of chamomile, peppermint and licorice root works best to settle my particular stomach, but Kombucha is by far the fastest, bestest remedy (probably due to the slight carbonation) and maybe the most magical substance ever. The Synergy brand with Ginger...even better.

Broth-wise, thanks to Nom Nom Paleo, I've started making broth in a pressure cooker. As long as you have some chicken and/or beef parts available and some aromatics to throw in, it only takes about 20 minutes.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

Ended up giving up my search, dragging myself upstairs, and starting a big pot of bone broth. I think the combo of actually getting up and doing something productive and the positive mental 'This will make me feel better...even if I have to wait two days' did the trick, because I did start feeling much better.

I've tried the ginger tea, the peppermint and chamomile (though not licorice root), and it doesn't do much for me. I'm definitely super interested in trying Kombucha after all the posts about it on these forums, I just didn't have any on hand/don't think it's carried at the only store that was still open. But next time I'm at my usual shops I'll grab a bottle for sure. I'll probably be a convert, especially since I love fizzy drinks.

The pressure cooker broth recipe is pretty intriguing too: I'm an impatient cook. I'll take a look at that for next time.

Archived