How to do food and yoga

I haven't had to worry about the pre and post workout stuff yet because I have been giving my body a rest. I am on day 18 and have only really walked my dogs since I started my Whole30. I have decided that I think I want to drop in on a yoga class and I found one on Saturday at 8am. I am not used to eating before yoga, but I want to eat within an hour of waking. I generally wake around 7:30 and eat around 8:15. Meals have been keeping me full for about 5 hours. This class will not be strenuous, so I just need to figure out how to time my foods and which ones to put where. Oh, and I will still need to fit in walking my puppies for about 30 minutes soon after class.

Next week, I am going to try to fit in a few Nia classes around the puppy walks. Those are 9:30 to 10:30 which conflicts with current puppy walks, but I think that will be easier to fit.

Thanks!

• Moderators

I would try eating a boiled egg or two as a starter meal before a morning yoga class and then plan to eat a more substantial meal later in the morning. I would call it breakfast one and breakfast two. :) Breakfast one should have a good hormonal signaling effect without making you too full to do forward bends comfortably.

I've experimented a bunch on this and settled on the following: For an 8am class, I'll eat a boiled egg beforehand (although I try to eat this as early as possible to give myself time to digest before class). For a class at noon I don't eat anything. Both strategies work, although I notice I am stronger for my 8am class. In either case, I don't have a special "post-workout" snack, I do have breakfast right after my 8am class, and lunch right after my class at noon.

All this said, do some experimenting and see how you feel, and tune it for the style of yoga you are doing. IE. If I were doing Bikram vinyasa, I don't think i could handle even the boiled egg AND I might need some extra food for postWO. Since I do a more restorative style of yoga, the above works fine for me.

Archived