this coconut milk

Cindi

• Moderators

Guar gum is okay. Most of us use coconut milk with guar gum. Potassium metabisulfite looks suspiciously like sulphites, one of the three ingredients that are definitely out during a Whole30 because they cause gut problems.

well alrighty then. I heard somewhere (but haven't seen it again since) that guar gum has gluten so I was concerned since I have no idea what it really is. I used it regularly when doing Atkins though but there were LOTS of things I allowed at that point. Thanks...

• Moderators

According to Wikipedia: Guar gum, also called guaran, is a galactomannan. It is primarily the ground endosperm of guar beans. The guar seeds are dehusked, milled and screened to obtain the guar gum.[1] It is typically produced as a free-flowing, off-white powder.

Bottom-line: guar gum has no ingredients. It is an ingredient. Yes, it is made from the seeds of guar beans, but, in this case, it really is okay.

thanks for the information. Prior to whole30 I had used guar gum for gravies and thickening things...and have some in my kitchen in the powder form but I didn't know what it was and starting whole30 I didn't want to use it and then saw that it was in my coconut milk. Thanks again!

If you live near a Trader Joe's, they put out a line of light coconut milk that the only ingredient is coconut milk. I learned about it somewhere on this forum with the caveat from the person posting that you are paying for watered down coconut milk, if you want to pay for water.

Compared to every market in my area, the TJ line is only .99, which is between $1.00-$1.50 less than I have found anywhere else. As for cooking, with the spices I use and the occasional letting it cook too long and the water cooking off ( by default it thickens) , I have not really noticed a difference. I prefer the less expensive/less ingredient version, though, do mix the whole coconut milk with the light occasionally.

Archived